Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Source: Twins have 1 yr offer to Saunders; never made offer to Marcum

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doogie has so many "source's" out there, he's bound to get one of them right at some point.

If this comes to fruition, it somewhat softens the self-inflicted blow that the Twins have done to themselves, but it's pretty sad that I get sucked into finding any solace whatsover in hoping the trigger gets pulled here. At least it would only be a one-year deal.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    I don't believe for one second that the Twins never made an offer to Marcum. They always make competitive offers, and are always rejected.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I don't believe for one second that the Twins never made an offer to Marcum. They always make competitive offers, and are always rejected.
    Well yeah, they made a proposal to Marcum. Idiot journalists are just not giving them proper credit. All a conspiracy to cover up the fact that all MLB FAs are in cahoots to spurn our every advance.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Well yeah, they made a proposal to Marcum. Idiot journalists are just not giving them proper credit. All a conspiracy to cover up the fact that all MLB FAs are in cahoots to spurn our every advance.
    I bet the Twins offered Greinke more, too, but we don't have enough real fans in Minnesota, so he turned them down.

(too much?)

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 165 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doogie's sources, for the most part, seem to be agents. He's also, imho, the best local inside info reporter locally. If he's saying the Twins never offered a contract to Marcum, I believe him.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    I really wanted Marcum on this club, but with the contract he got from the Mets it is clear his injury is rather serious/concerning. Plus the Twins have already brought in multiple guys coming off significant injuries this off-season in Worley, Pelfrey and Harden (though he doesn't really count as much) so it makes sense trying to bring in a guy like Saunders instead.

I don't get all the Saunders hate, he isn't sexy by any means but he will give you 180+ IP and a slightly above league average ERA. (103 ERA+ career) 4.15 career ERA. He basically becomes what Pavano was for us when healthy (which was pretty good to be honest)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I really wanted Marcum on this club, but with the contract he got from the Mets it is clear his injury is rather serious/concerning. Plus the Twins have already brought in multiple guys coming off significant injuries this off-season in Worley, Pelfrey and Harden (though he doesn't really count as much) so it makes sense trying to bring in a guy like Saunders instead.

I don't get all the Saunders hate, he isn't sexy by any means but he will give you 180+ IP and a slightly above league average ERA. (103 ERA+ career) 4.15 career ERA. He basically becomes what Pavano was for us when healthy (which was pretty good to be honest)
    Last 3 years, the SP ML xFIP is 4.04. Saunders 3-year xFIP is 4.38. Correia's 3-year xFIP is actually a better shade of below-average mediocrity, 4.26. I know you're not saying this, but let's not hold much pretense that Saunders would come in and be the key catalyst in a dramatic Twins turnaround. Although it's a lot like getting a date with Miss Hospitality, it is significantly better having Saunders' innings out there than the alternative. Again, sadly, the biggest benefit to this proposed deal is the one-year nature of it.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This sort of thing makes my blood boil

"just a matter of their interest in us," Ryan said. "I don't know why somebody wouldn't want to come here who's a legitimate starter."
    If the offer is truly for just 1 year, then, I don't know, maybe its not Minnesota. Maybe its the offer!

edit: no, wait. Correia turned down more money to come to Minnesota. Therefore, Minnesota must be in fact, more desirable than other places. So much more desirable, in fact, that FAs should just play here for a discount even though there's not payroll restriction anyway.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 01-25-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    He's also, imho, the best local inside info reporter locally..
    Considering the "competition", this really isn't much of an accolade.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    I'd take Saunders but I don't think he is much more than a lefthanded Correia.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's all that's left!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Wow is this a crock. No one is bringing up the obvious. No way does Saunders take a one year deal from the Twins, because if it is only one year, the Orioles will likely match it and he will go back to Baltimore where he pitched and succeded last year.

Ryan knows this, but he can once again play the no one wants to come here card.

Has he stopped to think that if he keeps laying this line of BS, free agents might actually start believing something is wrong with Minnesota?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Wow is this a crock. No one is bringing up the obvious. No way does Saunders take a one year deal from the Twins, because if it is only one year, the Orioles will likely match it and he will go back to Baltimore where he pitched and succeded last year.

Ryan knows this, but he can once again play the no one wants to come here card.

Has he stopped to think that if he keeps laying this line of BS, free agents might actually start believing something is wrong with Minnesota?
    It would indeed be ironic if Duqette ends up with both Jurrjens and Saunders in the rotation and effective, with a combined one-year salary less than what Correia is guaranteed for two years. Not a big fan of Saunders except as a #5 and on a year-to-year basis, and you're right Nick, Ryan will never try to win a bidding war, even on a no-brainer situation like this one.

And yes, I don't think he's ever read any econ books about The Law of Unintended Consequences. This "woe is me" act is really pathetic and insulting to Twins fans.
    Last edited by jokin; 01-25-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    No way does Saunders take a one year deal from the Twins, because if it is only one year, the Orioles will likely match it and he will go back to Baltimore where he pitched and succeded last year.
    The Orioles have moved on. It is unbelievable how many people on this board simply do not do the math or examine the specifics of what other teams are doing/have done. Saunders has only 3 different options left: Seattle, San Diego and Minnesota. I said this previously to all those wannabe GMs who wanted to give Saunders $10M to $12.5M per year for multiple years. BTB, any "major" free agent will avoid the frozen tundra of Minnesota if at all possible. This is reality. Deal with it. It would take a very special free agent to accept a deal with the Twins. Take that to your ice fishing house and smoke it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotholemike View Post
    The Orioles have moved on. It is unbelievable how many people on this board simply do not do the math or examine the specifics of what other teams are doing/have done. Saunders has only 3 different options left: Seattle, San Diego and Minnesota. I said this previously to all those wannabe GMs who wanted to give Saunders $10M to $12.5M per year for multiple years. BTB, any "major" free agent will avoid the frozen tundra of Minnesota if at all possible. This is reality. Deal with it. It would take a very special free agent to accept a deal with the Twins. Take that to your ice fishing house and smoke it.
    I couldn't disagree more. If we have a good team and are willing to pay market value, we can attract big name free agents. A few might shy away because of the reduced capacity for endorsements, but all else being equal, most will come play here. Right now we are not competitive and aren't willing to pay top dollar because of it, so they are looking elsewhere. It's as simple as that.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have no trouble believing that Minnesota is not considered an attractive market for free agents, and the only way to get them is to seriously overpay (of which I am not in favor). Let's not forget what a member of Ricky Rubio's family said when he was playing over in Europe and the thinking was he was lobbying for a trade to an east coast team: "Bottom line, why would Rubio go to Minnesota?"

Personally, I love living here, and I'm going to be sad to leave it when I move in February, but I was also born and raised here. As far as sheer glamour, for those who weren't, we can't top New York, LA, Chicago, etc. That's not to diss Minnesota; that's to recognize how we are often perceived by outsiders (rightly or wrongly).

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post

Why? Heading into the off season you thought , if only we could get Saunders and Correia we could make a run at the divisional title?
    No we all knew we needed 2 front of the rotation starters, and what did we get? a big pile of steaming horse ploop and Ryan cuts more payroll... same ole song and dance...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Did I miss something?--Like "The Handbook of Values for Major League Baseball Players" that lists what salary (including incentive clauses) that each player is "worth". I read all these comments about "overpay" and I wonder "...hmm, how does [he] know what constitutes 'overpay' "?
    Though some sort of comparision to the salary of other players is inevitable there clearly needs to be adjustment for where/when said player played, changes in health, and "woe is me" adjustment factors for changing to a new team with a different competitive situation and location, etc. Or, are salaries determined by plain,old, supply and demand? and "overpay" is simply a term invented by unbidders (and non-bidders) to disparage the player and his new team and salary?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Doogie's sources, for the most part, seem to be agents. He's also, imho, the best local inside info reporter locally. If he's saying the Twins never offered a contract to Marcum, I believe him.
    Doogies the 'best local reporter' in the same way that Saunders would be the Twins 'ace'.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast