Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Aledmys Diaz

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,597
    Like
    64
    Liked 374 Times in 232 Posts

    Aledmys Diaz

    I'm sure it's news to no one but Diaz is one of this seasons Cuban defectors. The Twins are said to have interest as they should, he's a young shortstop with offensive upside. The question now seems to be, how young? He has been claiming his age is 23. All too often Latin players have gotten busted claiming to be younger than the truely are. Reports are that Diaz is claiming to be OLDER than he truely is, this due to the fact that 23-year-old Cuban defectors are exempt from the international signing cap, meaning they have potential for a much bigger payday.

    I would hope the Twins are interested regardless of age, but this is a strange wrinkle. The Twins have been agressive in the international market of late but have been quite this year dispite numerous clubs already inking Latin players. I wonder if the Twins are anticipating that a ruling on Diaz will come back that his salary will count against the cap and are in a holding patern on the international front because they are planning on going all out for the young shortstop.

  2. #2
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,719
    Like
    870
    Liked 845 Times in 541 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm sure it's news to no one but Diaz is one of this seasons Cuban defectors. The Twins are said to have interest as they should, he's a young shortstop with offensive upside. The question now seems to be, how young? He has been claiming his age is 23. All too often Latin players have gotten busted claiming to be younger than the truely are. Reports are that Diaz is claiming to be OLDER than he truely is, this due to the fact that 23-year-old Cuban defectors are exempt from the international signing cap, meaning they have potential for a much bigger payday.

    I would hope the Twins are interested regardless of age, but this is a strange wrinkle. The Twins have been agressive in the international market of late but have been quite this year dispite numerous clubs already inking Latin players. I wonder if the Twins are anticipating that a ruling on Diaz will come back that his salary will count against the cap and are in a holding patern on the international front because they are planning on going all out for the young shortstop.
    With all the money they've saved by not signing legit talent this offseason, why would they be in any sort of holding pattern? Even with monetary sanctions for topping a cap, if this guy is a legit, impact infield prospect, why hold back?

    It was a slight concern in the Baseball America article that he may not be able to stick at SS. But now that we have the curious situation that he might be up to 2 years younger than claimed, his Cuban numbers look even better. Here's the BA quote:

    "Age questions and unblocking issues aside, scouting reports on Diaz's talent remain modest. Though Diaz has played shortstop in Cuba, scouts have said he doesn't have the lateral range, quickness or footwork to stay at the position. Diaz has shown some ability with the bat, hitting .315/.404/.500 in 313 plate appearances for Villa Clara "

    I'd say he's still worth the risk to project at Second Base.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    576
    Like
    0
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    I'm sure we Will blow all offers out of the water, but he will ultimately sign in Tampa for warmer climate and 1/10 the money.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    794
    Like
    15
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Looks like he was trying to evade the international signing cap. If he is 21, he will be subject to it. That will affect all the bidding.

  5. #5
    He'll be classified as a free agent, not an international signing.

    There's been a few posts on here about Diaz. I made one as well begging for the Twins to sign him. This, I believe to be a no-lose scenario if they go after this kid. The 3mil back from Nishioka should go directly into this kids pocket. I don't care if he's in AAA all year. Grab him. He's better than any other SS prospect you have in the entire farm system.

    There are few no-brainers. This is one of them. That's why Oakland's name popped up again on this kid, just like they nabbed Cespedes last year. I was begging for us to grab him and trade away Span. Span's value wasn't as high as it was this off-season, but still.

    Diaz could be the guy up the middle for the next 10 years. Then you don't need to worry about continually failing at drafting first round middle infielders a la Trevor Plouffe and Michael Levi.

    MAKE THE MOVE! Sign him up. Get Tony O to give him some love and instruccion!!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    781
    Like
    38
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    We already spent most of our international spending cap. We signed that minier kid from Dominican and I believe a pair of aussie kids. I dont even think we have 1 mil in int. Cap room. I like the idea but my guess is tsyoshi is still in the minds of the front ooffice

  7. #7
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,719
    Like
    870
    Liked 845 Times in 541 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Haddyz View Post
    He'll be classified as a free agent, not an international signing.

    There's been a few posts on here about Diaz. I made one as well begging for the Twins to sign him. This, I believe to be a no-lose scenario if they go after this kid. The 3mil back from Nishioka should go directly into this kids pocket. I don't care if he's in AAA all year. Grab him. He's better than any other SS prospect you have in the entire farm system.

    There are few no-brainers. This is one of them. That's why Oakland's name popped up again on this kid, just like they nabbed Cespedes last year. I was begging for us to grab him and trade away Span. Span's value wasn't as high as it was this off-season, but still.

    Diaz could be the guy up the middle for the next 10 years. Then you don't need to worry about continually failing at drafting first round middle infielders a la Trevor Plouffe and Michael Levi.

    MAKE THE MOVE! Sign him up. Get Tony O to give him some love and instruccion!!!
    Have you any link to video evidence to back up your unbridled enthusiasm? It's obvious that his unscrupulous agent believes in him enough to attempt to game the system. The scouting report quoted in Baseball America does give one some caution into assuming he's a Can't-Miss- Infielder-a-Cespedes, but even if he's revealed to be just a good-hit/no-field 2B at the age of 21-22, it seems worth the cost to up the bid to whatever amount it takes to beat out the likes of Billy Beane.

  8. #8
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    We already spent most of our international spending cap. We signed that minier kid from Dominican and I believe a pair of aussie kids. I dont even think we have 1 mil in int. Cap room. I like the idea but my guess is tsyoshi is still in the minds of the front ooffice
    that was in 2012, today is what?

  9. #9
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    how about adding ronnie cedeno? a youngish carroll ?

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    Major League Baseball is investigating the age of Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz.

    Diaz presented the birthdate of January 8, 1990 to the MLB, but the official roster that the Cuban National team used in July has him listed as August 1, 1991. While many international players lie about their ages to appear older, it may benefit Diaz to be a year older, as a 23-year-old he would be exempt from the 2012-2013 international bonus pools. If the MLB rules that he has falsified his age, he may be subject to a penalty of being unable to sign for one year.

    Source: BaseballAmerica.com

  11. #11
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,719
    Like
    870
    Liked 845 Times in 541 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    how about adding ronnie cedeno? a youngish carroll ?
    Too tall, inferior career stats. And, why hire an imposter when we have the original elfin-character locked up for 2 more years? May as well get Bartlett and Kelly Johnson.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    605
    Like
    11
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Could the Twins just sign him now for let's just say $3M and when it comes out he lied about his age they maybe just suspend him for a season but the Twins get to keep him. I know that would be too good to be true if they could pull it off.

  13. #13
    Very interesting. Seems the Twins are pretty aggressive on these acquiring these players (which they should be). Sano was a pretty nice get. If he ends up as a second baseman, that'd be just fine but would be less attractive mostly for the reason, that his range might be limited. Nevertheless, I hope they truly are interested. Regarding Cespedes, the guy was clearly impressive. I was cautious that he was coming from Cuba and looked rather "bulky", i.e. PED's. I don't know if that was a concern, but if he turned into a doubles hitter, I would have been dissapointed. I'm not totally convinced he isn't a juicer.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Have you any link to video evidence to back up your unbridled enthusiasm? The scouting report quoted in Baseball America does give one some caution into assuming he's a Can't-Miss- Infielder-a-Cespedes, but even if he's revealed to be just a good-hit/no-field 2B...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uQYisN3dNs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpr3FGbd3LY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=112-H2_WOZA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVwKtjsRw2w

    I never suggested that he's can't miss. I suggested that he outweighs what is in house, currently. He won't garner as much of a contract as Cespedes either. The decision to me is a no brainer, because you're not bust more than Nishioka at this point.

    I liked Cespedes' swing more, but I like the aggressive nature of the swing and the power pull. Plays well at Target Field.

    I think we are on the same page.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    794
    Like
    15
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    I think he will turn out to be younger than 23. That will subject him to the international cap. Twins should try and sign him anyway, but may restrict them from signing other talent they are aware of. Sounds like agent is trying to game the system.

  16. #16
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,719
    Like
    870
    Liked 845 Times in 541 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Haddyz View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uQYisN3dNs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpr3FGbd3LY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=112-H2_WOZA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVwKtjsRw2w

    I never suggested that he's can't miss. I suggested that he outweighs what is in house, currently. He won't garner as much of a contract as Cespedes either. The decision to me is a no brainer, because you're not bust more than Nishioka at this point.

    I liked Cespedes' swing more, but I like the aggressive nature of the swing and the power pull. Plays well at Target Field.

    I think we are on the same page.
    Sign me up. I also found a Diaz opposite field gapper to the wall on Youtube. In the field, he looks serviceable at Second, hitting-wise there's no one close in the Twins MI to this "Toy Cannon".

    Would the Twins thinking be that they can stand pat until Rosario gets here in approximately 2015? My impression would be that you would sign this guy with the intention of treating him like Cespedes and calling him up sooner rather than later.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,242
    Like
    105
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    I'm in favor of aggressively pursuing Diaz, but developing him as a SS. Goodness knows teams don't need a defensive wizard at SS. As for Rosario--I would like the Twins to rush this guy through the system. 2015 is way too late if the information about him is close to correct. There is a huge hole at 2nd now, huge need for hitters, especially those that might provide HRs at positions that generally don't hit much. Stop worrying about a guy who struggles as a rookie, they aren't the problem. The problem is having a team of luke-warm spit this isn't quite bad enough to dump, but somehow convinces management he must be retained for several years because they fear if said "player" goes to another team that he will blossom into a star and be an embarrassment to said executive that "gave-up" on him.

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,167
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    There is an additional complication about this whole age thing, which definitely works on the players' favor:

    For Dominicans, MLB goes and does a whole series of tests and examines a whole bunch of official records including birth certificates, hospital records, school records etc. MLB has access to those records (and the player's family) in the Dominican.

    They do not have any access to any of that in Cuba. Matter of fact, they are not even allowed to set foot on Cuba.

    Major difference. That's why Livan and his brother claimed to be as young as they are with no issues.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  19. #19
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    There is an additional complication about this whole age thing, which definitely works on the players' favor:

    For Dominicans, MLB goes and does a whole series of tests and examines a whole bunch of official records including birth certificates, hospital records, school records etc. MLB has access to those records (and the player's family) in the Dominican.

    They do not have any access to any of that in Cuba. Matter of fact, they are not even allowed to set foot on Cuba.

    Major difference. That's why Livan and his brother claimed to be as young as they are with no issues.
    Are you sure they are dominican? i understood that they applied for mexican residency

  20. #20
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    781
    Like
    38
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    that was in 2012, today is what?
    As a fellow north Dakotan I am a little put off by your smartass tone. International signing day is I believe july fourth and I am pretty sure that is when the signing year starts. Also, the new cap system gives teams with the worst records the most money to spend. If this kid is younger I say no dice. Dont waste cap on an older kid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.