Thread: Murphy: Gibson Will Get Shot at Big League Club

Murphy: Gibson Will Get Shot at Big League Club

Article states that the Twins want Gibson to throw 100 to 130 innings this year.

Minnesota Twins: Pitcher Kyle Gibson will get shot at big-league club in 2013 - TwinCities.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Twin View Post
    Article states that the Twins want Gibson to throw 100 to 130 innings this year.

Minnesota Twins: Pitcher Kyle Gibson will get shot at big-league club in 2013 - TwinCities.com
    He will get his shot when he is past the date to become a Super 2. The Twins should not let him become a FA any sooner than they can.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Gibson is already 25...

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 637 Times in 247 Posts
    As I noted in another thread, that doesn't make any sense.

Super-2 has absolutely nothing to do with years of control.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 793 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since he's on an innings limit so low, I don't see any reason to start him off in Minnesota. Let him get in 50 or so innings in Rochester and then bring him up. Either way, he'll probably need to be shut down in August.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Since he's on an innings limit so low, I don't see any reason to start him off in Minnesota. Let him get in 50 or so innings in Rochester and then bring him up. Either way, he'll probably need to be shut down in August.
    I'm betting its 100-130 IP with the Twins. That is a pretty good goal IMO. Add 30 or so at AAA and that will be a successful season.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 343 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    At this point why waste half of his innings limit in AAA? I'm not sure that's what we need to see unless he flops in the bigs. I would imagine we want as much of a look at him as we can get, which probably means him starting the season with the team. Well, I guess that's what I'd prefer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Let him spend the first month in extended spring training strengthening his arm followed by a month in AAA and then call him up. He'll be super 2 but I don't really care about that.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it's going to become clear in spring training that Gibson is one of the five best starters. Unfortunately, two of the guys he's better than (Correia and Diamond, IMO) are already locked in and Hendriks has the advantage of much more experience.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It's up to spring training alot to set your back up pitching and your bench,

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    In the article, Ryan said "at some point in 2013 you're going to see him pitch for us." Not exactly a ringing endorsement about his chances of starting the season in the rotation. More damning is probably this line:

"I want to see exactly how he competes in spring training, how he looks, how he responds, and of course there will be other people who somewhat dictate where that rotation is," Ryan said. "We'll see where he ends up before we start worrying about innings."

If you're going to let the grab-bag of unimpressive vets dictate what you do with one of your top prospects, you obviously don't plan on letting him win his own spot. That makes it sound like Ryan thinks Gibson has an outside shot if someone else gets hurt.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 01-28-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    At this point why waste half of his innings limit in AAA? I'm not sure that's what we need to see unless he flops in the bigs. I would imagine we want as much of a look at him as we can get, which probably means him starting the season with the team. Well, I guess that's what I'd prefer.
    I consider it a service time thing. No matter what, the team isn't going to get anything close to a full season of Gibson. Considering how he hasn't spent much time in the high minors, I don't think it'd be a mistake to give him a few more innings in Rochester.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    He is 25, there should be no service time issues. Throwing in Rochester is no different, arm health wise, than throwing in Minnesota. I struggle to understand not having him up here the moment he is one of the 12 best pitchers in the system.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    He is 25, there should be no service time issues. Throwing in Rochester is no different, arm health wise, than throwing in Minnesota. I struggle to understand not having him up here the moment he is one of the 12 best pitchers in the system.
    There are always service time issues on a plus prospect. Gibson is no longer young but the Twins get six years from him at the minimum, 6 1/2 to 7 if they push back his clock a bit. The guy just returned to professional ball after surgery and pitched all of 28 innings in the minors in 2012. Giving him 30 innings in Rochester and then re-evaluating his status isn't going to kill the team.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gibson has logged a total of 117.2 innings in AAA with an ERA of 4.67.
    There is almost no way he will start the year in MLB.
    Hendriks will get another chance to prove that his minor league stats are not a fluke.