Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 86

Thread: Reusse: Optimistic About 2013 Twins

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,298
    Like
    1
    Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    231

    Reusse: Optimistic About 2013 Twins

    Ever the contrarian, Patrick Reusse finds himself more optimistic than the fan base this offseason:Reusse's Reality Script: Episode 8 (Twins) | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins

    This is my anticipated Opening Day rotation: Pelfrey, Worley, Gibson, holdover Scott Diamond and journeyman Kevin Correia. As journeymen go, I'd take Correia over last year's trial horse and error, Jason Marquis.
    That five would be far better than anything the Twins offered up as a rotation the past two seasons.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Ever the contrarian . . . .
    Exactly my thought when I read the thread title.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,171
    Like
    98
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Well, he is right. I've posted it many times now but simply replacing the 88 starts that amassed -8 WAR last year, the Twins are a lot better.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    269
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wow, I don't see it. The biggest piece I see totally differently is how he feels about the starting rotation going into last season compared to this one. Last season we had:
    Pavano (who we thought would be an innings eater and compete)
    Liriano (who we thought might have a bounce back year)
    Baker (who we thought could have a really good year)
    Blackburn (who because he had an injury healed we thought he might be okay)
    Marquis (who I thought would be an okay 5th starter).

    This year, there isn't a single one of the starters who I feel confident will go 180 innings and be effective. I am concerned about injuries with Worley and Diamond. Pelfrey and Gibson are both coming back from serious surgery, and Correria (sp?) is similar to Marquis. Plus our offense and defense will take a step back based on the losses of Revere and Span.

    Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,508
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Hendriks will go north with the team over Gibson IMO. The Twins would be making a huge mistake not to allow Gibson some time at AAA and get an extra year of team control. If there was a chance the Twins would compete I could see it, but bringing Hicks and Gibson north would be stupid stupid stupid stupid.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

  6. #6
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,623
    Like
    5
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    292
    I don't know that the rotation is better on paper than it was a year ago, but they'll almost certainly perform better.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,508
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by nokomismod View Post
    Wow, I don't see it. The biggest piece I see totally differently is how he feels about the starting rotation going into last season compared to this one. Last season we had:
    Pavano (who we thought would be an innings eater and compete)
    Liriano (who we thought might have a bounce back year)
    Baker (who we thought could have a really good year)
    Blackburn (who because he had an injury healed we thought he might be okay)
    Marquis (who I thought would be an okay 5th starter).

    This year, there isn't a single one of the starters who I feel confident will go 180 innings and be effective. I am concerned about injuries with Worley and Diamond. Pelfrey and Gibson are both coming back from serious surgery, and Correria (sp?) is similar to Marquis. Plus our offense and defense will take a step back based on the losses of Revere and Span.

    Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer.
    Every one of those starters failed. That is the difference. We felt going into the year last year that the Twins could be competitive with those starters, maybe a bubble playoff team. Things fell apart pretty quickly. It's almost a guarantee this rotation will outperform last season. That is what Reusse is suggesting.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Posts
    646
    Like
    130
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Good point Nick. The bar is set pretty low.
    Good chance the starting rotation will out-perform last year's stats.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    269
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, good point guys. Almost everything went wrong that could regarding last year's starting rotation. This year hopefully everything will go well that can go well.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    502
    Like
    9
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    I am optimistic that at least one pitcher will improve and that 3 starting pitchers will be solid and give the staff at least 3 12 game winners Worely, Diamond and ???. I also think the bullpen will be solid again. the big question is whether CF, SS and 2B will we be able to have at least 2 decent seasons from the 3 lineup spots. beyond that its just a matter of health and how will the other 2 spots in the rotation fare? will we get 2 suprise pitchers and an adequate Correia? That will allow the Twins to be competetive. Can they do that? Sure but the odds are not in their favor on paper at the moment.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    969
    Like
    3
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I don't know that the rotation is better on paper than it was a year ago, but they'll almost certainly perform better.
    Absolutely. Hard to argue that the rotation won't be better (even if some of us would have liked to see more done with it than was). A lot of people focus on that and think the team will be better overall just for that, but that assumes the lineup is going to be at least the same and that too often defense is getting ignored.

    The big lineup/defense question for me is will the CF/RF combo of Hicks(?)/Parmelee not only match Span/Revere offensively but do enough with the bat to make up for their definitely weaker defense? For me, it's very likely a downgrade overall but even just offensively unless Hicks is more than ready.

    For me, because of shifts like that and other questions (no real backup plan at SS, for example), the team might not be better overall than last year.
    Last edited by Alex; 01-28-2013 at 01:22 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    No real reason for optimism until 2015 when we have a deeper pitching staff. BUT, I am very optimistic about the farm system as it stands now with another top-5 pick to be added.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,609
    Like
    512
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Two more top 5 picks....since they were historically bad, pitching wise, it almost has to be better. Does not mean it will be good, or adequate......

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    No real reason for optimism until 2015 when we have a deeper pitching staff. BUT, I am very optimistic about the farm system as it stands now with another top-5 pick to be added.
    IF we have a deeper pitching staff in 2015...

  15. #15
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,146
    Like
    378
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Not only a contrarian, this is a Reusse's Reality-esque satiristic "Modest Proposal" of the likes that would almost make Jonathan Swift blush.

    Either that, or the Reusse-Reality is early onset senility rearing its ugly head.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,650
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Not only a contrarian, this is a Reusse's Reality-esque satiristic "Modest Proposal" of the likes that would almost make Jonathan Swift blush.

    Either that, or the Reusse-Reality is early onset senility rearing its ugly head.
    Wow. You're a pretty miserable person aren't you?

  17. #17
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,146
    Like
    378
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Wow. You're a pretty miserable person aren't you?
    I think it's fair to say that Reusse has that market cornered.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "That five would be far better than anything the Twins offered up as a rotation the past two seasons."

    And the next time the dog craps on the carpet it might be a solid turd instead of diarrhea. Doesn't make it a good or acceptable situation.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,080
    Like
    97
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    Improving this rotation wasn't exactly challenging, the problem is that the lineup and defense have been significantly downgraded. What will be interesting is to see how much the VERY modest improvements to the rotation offset the fact that we have a bunch of plodding oafs playing defense for them.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,764
    Like
    139
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Improving this rotation wasn't exactly challenging, the problem is that the lineup and defense have been significantly downgraded. What will be interesting is to see how much the VERY modest improvements to the rotation offset the fact that we have a bunch of plodding oafs playing defense for them.
    The infield defense should be better, shouldn't it? Yes the OF defense certainly took a hit. Span/Revere = Hicks/Parmelee in the lineup, IMO. In any case, I don't see 'significant' downgrades for lineup and infield defense, in fact, I think we could argue that each could improve.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.