Thread: (In)Famous Twins Fan Mike "Sammy" Samuelson passes away

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries

(In)Famous Twins Fan Mike "Sammy" Samuelson passes away

Twins fan and local activist Mike (Sammy) Samuelson dies | StarTribune.com

That's the story of his passing. Below is a story about his life....

Tevlin: Some advice on living from a dying heckler: Enjoy every day | StarTribune.com

On Friday night, he was the primary draw for the Hot Stove banquet (which I had to miss). He died today from leukemia.

I knew Sammy a little, who I met because he was a big GameDay supporter. We would talk occasionally at ballgames, and I'd get the occasional ranting email from him. He was a world-class heckler (odd in Minnesota) and drove the Twins crazy, but the organization loved him for his passion. And with a story like this, can you wonder why?

Not long ago, Sammy asked his doctor if he should buy season tickets for next year. The answer was no. Sammy waited for a couple of days, then said, "What the hell."
    He bought the tickets.
    "Then I called Dave St. Peter and said, 'Dave, if I don't make it to April, can you give my wife a refund? It's the first time anyone asked him that."
    Rest in peace, Sammy.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I met Sammy a few times too, and like John would get the occasional e-mail or Facebook comment. He is as passionate a fan as I've ever met. I'm glad I got to know him.