Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sickels ranks Twins system #7

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Based on Cespedas and Puig's contract, plus Diaz's premium defensive position, you're probably looking at six or so years at $7 or $8 million annually. Cespedas' successful year and the international cap omitting Cubans has Diaz in line for a huge payday. I won't be overly disappointed if/when the Twins quit bidding.
    He is not in Cespedes class as a player. Puig signed for 7/42 and started in the low minors. From what I read Diaz is a little more developed than that but not quite the hitter. It makes it hard to guess a number. Tulowitxki, Drew and Reyes are the last big shortstop contracts. Drew was only for a year. The rest of the above average shortstops are in the 5-6 million range except for Hardy. I don't think Diaz would project to JJ Hardy.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    He is not in Cespedes class as a player. Puig signed for 7/42 and started in the low minors. From what I read Diaz is a little more developed than that but not quite the hitter. It makes it hard to guess a number. Tulowitxki, Drew and Reyes are the last big shortstop contracts. Drew was only for a year. The rest of the above average shortstops are in the 5-6 million range except for Hardy. I don't think Diaz would project to JJ Hardy.
    I agree with most of what you are saying. Puig and Diaz are nearly the same age, so Diaz would most likely need a year (plus) in the minors. I think what complicates projections the most is the questioning of Diaz's age and if he's going to be allowed in the MLB, when and if he'll be subjected to the pool limits. (For those wondering why, he has apparently presented himself older than he actually is.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123