Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Your favorite #13 memory

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,289
    Like
    1
    Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    231

    Your favorite #13 memory

    To countdown the days until pitchers and catchers report, we're looking at which Twins had the number for that day. With 13 days left, what is your favorite memory of these Twins players?

    Bill Tuttle
    Rich Reese
    John Roseboro
    Rich Woodson
    Tim Lundstedt
    Mike Pagliarulo
    Todd Walker
    Jerry White

    I'm going with Walker. When The Voice Of Reason and I were moving to MN, we took off a couple of months and traveled the US. We found ourselves somewhere in Louisiana in the middle of the summer, and it was exactly when the minor league (AA?) All-star game was going. It happened to be in Shreveport Louisiana.

    Walker was in that All-Star game, and I think he was either from or playing for Shreveport, so there was quite a bit of hype around him. We made it there and attended the ball game. I missed a foul ball by about four inches.

    Because of all that, we were really rooting for him when he came up in the 90s. He never really fulfilled that promise, but he had a decent enough career.

  2. #2
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,610
    Like
    802
    Liked 593 Times in 226 Posts
    Pags, part of the old-school Harrischer platoon.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  3. #3
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,917
    Like
    992
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Mike Pagliarulo has the game of his life in Game 4 of the 1991 World Series, going 3 for 3 including a homer, accounting for both RBI in an eventual 3-2 loss, and in the top of the ninth he ... is pinch-hit for by Scott Leius who lines out. Imagine if he had been left in, to hit the go-ahead homer with two outs, so that they can then turn the gave over to Aguilera for the save. Arguably no need for Game 7 heroics by Morris, Knoblauch, Gladd... uh, never mind. 3-for-3 is good enough. Good game, Pags.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Mike Pagliarulo has the game of his life in Game 4 of the 1991 World Series, going 3 for 3 including a homer, accounting for both RBI in an eventual 3-2 loss, and in the top of the ninth he ... is pinch-hit for by Scott Leius who lines out. Imagine if he had been left in, to hit the go-ahead homer with two outs, so that they can then turn the gave over to Aguilera for the save. Arguably no need for Game 7 heroics by Morris, Knoblauch, Gladd... uh, never mind. 3-for-3 is good enough. Good game, Pags.
    I was going crazy on the couch when he went yard! Might have tried to be cooler since i was in Highschool, but eh.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A luke829's Avatar
    Posts
    316
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I remember that trying to pronounce Pag's last name right was more challenging that saying "Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers" 10x fast.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,917
    Like
    992
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by luke829 View Post
    I remember that trying to pronounce Pag's last name right was more challenging that saying "Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers" 10x fast.
    Pal-Ya-Rool-Yo is my recollection of it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,343
    Like
    227
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    The best was whenever Bill Tuttle got around to 3rd base after the 6th inning, he'd find his son Bill Jr in the bleachers and start cursing him from the basepath for arriving late to the game, and then Bill Jr would throw his hot dog onto the field and storm out of the park but come back after the game and hug Bill Sr on the field in a touching moment.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,251
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    Tuttle and Reese were great on D in the early years. Roseboro was a great all-star catcher for the Dodgers that just got to old for the Twins.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Triple-A mcrow's Avatar
    Posts
    275
    Like
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    I was going crazy on the couch when he went yard! Might have tried to be cooler since i was in Highschool, but eh.
    Me too, I was 14 so at that point playing and watching baseball was pretty much all I did during the season. Hell, between baseball practice, games and Twins games I would even squeeze in a wiffleball game here and there. So, 1991 was right in the middle of my glory years of baseball and Pags was obviously memorable for that game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.