Blog Entries

Article: Calling on Capps?

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You had me at "lurking".

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Is there a straighter, flatter fastball in the majors? Whatever, one million/one year. Do it... I guess... maybe.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would think that someone may pay him more than $1 million. I think he got $4.5 million last year and over $7 million in 2011. I have no idea what he will get, but if he can be had for $1 million, that seems reasonable to me.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    If Capps ever learned to throw a straight change with that same fastball motion, batters would screw themselves into the ground trying to hit it.

But he didn't.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    I will take Matt Capps over Alex Burnett, any time of the week.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
    I am Mr. Second Chance, I will give almost any player the benefit of doubt and put a positive spin on their chances to regain form. But this...wow. I find myself extremely reluctant. 1.2 - 1.5 million tops. Anything more just seems like throwing money into the same old used car when you should be going out and getting someting newer and more reliable. Something that drives nicer, too.

If he is willing to sign for under $2.5 million, I think he'd be a good reliever.

I'll always root for him, as long as he's a Twin.
    Last edited by benhertz; 01-25-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Non-guaranteed deal with fat clause?

Signing him to a 1-year deal is a reasonable thing to do...though I don't think I'll ever get over the Pavlovian nausea when I see him on the mound...

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 771 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    I will take Matt Capps over Alex Burnett, any time of the week.
    I typed out a sentence with multiple fat jokes but gave up and deleted it. Instead, I'll just agree with this post.

What are you guys smokin'? $1M - $2.5M for Capps, no way. He'll get a minor league deal with a spring training invite. What he made in the past does not matter. He has not shown the ability to put hitters away in more than a year. He is replacement level at best, and there are lots of guys like him who could be had on a minor league deal.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Initially, I was going to agree that a 1/1M deal sounds reasonable. But Capps > Slama? I'm not so sure (even if the scouts are). I'd probably still give him 1M and then move Burnett's desk to the basement of Hammond Stadium and "forget" to pay him....I said, NO SALT.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    At this point he'd probably be a bargain, but the Twins have so many young options for the bullpen I'd be reluctant. The Twins are already giving spots to Perkins, Burton, Duensing, Swarzak and Burnett.

Though in my book Burnett and Swarzak are expendable, the Twins surely will be giving them a spot if healthy. If Capps was in the mix, that would leave one spot for Fein, Pressly, Wood, Robertson, Harden and Roenicke taking dark horses completely out of the equation, guys like Theilbar, Guerra and Slama. This also greatly hinders the option of putting the sixth or seventh starter in the bullpen to start the season.

This team is rebuilding, they need to see what they have in some of these younger options.

Last year the Twins had three open spots, they gave them to Gray, Maloney and Burton. Had they only had one open spot, would they still have found gold in Burton?
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 01-25-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Nick's argument is very reasonable. Sound. Logical.
    ...and...
    Matt Capps really seems like a heckuva guy that I'd love to have a beer and plate of wings with.

However, I am a fan.
    I don't enjoy watching Capps pitch. From the first time I saw him pitch, I have not enjoyed watching him pitch. After that, it got much worse. I can't imagine I'll begin finding enjoyment in watching him pitch just because he makes less money.

I'd like to see his next Twin's contract be as a minor league coach.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like something Ryan would do.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 50 Posts
    Can we be sure that Gardy wouldn't hand Capps the closer role back?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Is there a straighter, flatter fastball in the majors? Whatever, one million/one year. Do it... I guess... maybe.
    NO way! A million for Capps?! How about a minor league contract?

I concur with the logic of "nicksaviking". I'll even go further and say that Fein is close to a lock and the Twins have to keep Pressley on the major league roster or work out a trade. While I wouldn't have any strong objections to Capps as a 7th-8th inning guy, he's just not a good fit given the Twins current situation.

We have the money and you can never have enough pitching so if it's reasonable I'd sign him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast