Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Campbell: Twins hope Hicks is next start in CF

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Campbell: Twins hope Hicks is next start in CF

Twins hope top prospect Hicks is next star in CF - Yahoo! Sports

Some great quotes in here, including a great one from Denard Span, "''In my opinion, he's ready for the challenge,'' Span said in a phone interview on Thursday. ''Why not throw him in the fire and see what he can do? I think he's mature enough to handle that now.''"

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Great link, thanks Seth.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yahoo does have some good baseabll coverage. This is a good example of that.

As for Hicks, I think it's a huge year for him and the long term future of the Twins OF. What happens this year with Hicks is going to have a huge effect on the OF in the next 5-6 years. Do we have the next Kirby Puckett or Tori Hunter or the next Denard Span or maybe not even MLB caliber?

Should be interesting to see how the situation developes.

I think he will outshine DSpan for sure. Maybe Torii, too.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    I think he will outshine DSpan for sure. Maybe Torii, too.
    I think what we saw last season makes me think he could be that good but given the less than impressive rise though the minors I'm reserving my judgement on Hicks until I see how he handles the majors.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good guy Denard: 3 years on the trading block, eventually gets traded. Only positive things to say about his old team.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Seems a lot of fans didn't really value Span as much as deserved to be. Maybe if he smiled more, laughed more...and misjudging balls more so he'd have more 'WOW' plays, he'd be more appreciated.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 02-01-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Good guy Denard: 3 years on the trading block, eventually gets traded. Only positive things to say about his old team.
    Well, He has been put on a team that is closer to his home and will very likely challenge for a world series title. Twins did pretty good by him, all things considered.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Nothing but a class act...and a very good ball player.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Agreed, Span will be missed by many of us. Really grew as a player and off field representative over the years.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Yeah, I know this is a Hicks thread, but I'm not sure Spansie ever got his deserved sendoff. He wasn't anything special, but a damn fine ballplayer. He was probably my favorite Twin the last 3-4 years.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm personally going the miss the phrase "Lets get Denarded", but that's just me.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    I still miss Hunter--and consider him the best defensive CF the Twins ever had, including Puckett. Too bad Hunter couln't hit as well as Puckett. Summimg up, Hicks you have wished for a great deal from Hicks. I, too wish him well, but the bar you set is perhaps too high.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I still miss Hunter--and consider him the best defensive CF the Twins ever had, including Puckett. Too bad Hunter couln't hit as well as Puckett. Summimg up, Hicks you have wished for a great deal from Hicks. I, too wish him well, but the bar you set is perhaps too high.
    I think of theTwins CF like this:

Puckett, Great
    Hunter, Very Good
    Span, Good

We may or many not miss Span. I think we might miss him this year but if Hicks plays to potential I think he becomes the better player of the two, perhaps as good as Hunter.
    Last edited by mcrow; 02-01-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,304 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Yeah, I know this is a Hicks thread, but I'm not sure Spansie ever got his deserved sendoff. He wasn't anything special, but a damn fine ballplayer. He was probably my favorite Twin the last 3-4 years.
    He's an average major league centerfielder, all things considered. A player has to be damn fine to achieve that. You do not trade one lightly, and Ryan didn't. I don't know what kind of sendoff would be appropriate, especially since the Nationals don't visit in 2013.