Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hendriks

Hendriks

...I usually prefer mine with tonic and a cucumber.

Not quite the same topic, but it sounds good right about now.

Liam Hendriks is mentioned in passing in many pitching articles, but rarely something more. I think people forget that the Twins really like this guy. His triple-A numbers are excellent. So what's the deal when he's with the big club? Does he have Franky Liriano Syndrome?

I have to believe the last couple years, he's been a head-case and not shown what his true potential is. But it's odd, he flashes it from time to time too, right before he implodes in the 5th or 6th inning. Sounds more like Joe Mays Syndrome.

If this kid can figure it out, he's here to stay. I'm betting he's our #4 this year. Correia is already our #5.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    With Cuellar to work with him at the major league level there will be a better outcome. If the fastball continues to stay towards the center of the plate then the outcome will be the same as last year.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 78 Posts
    I'm a believer in Hendriks, and it kinda bothers me when people ignore him (of course, it's a minor bother given all the bots on this site).

His numbers in AAA were truly outstanding, he's still young (23?), and he showed some indications of being able to put a few things together late last year, despite his abhorrent start. He's not a 28 year old AAAA guy who's never been particularly good at any level.

It might take him a little time, but I think he puts it together. I certainly hope he doesn't sit behind someone like Correia because of the pay due to him. But I think he'll show enough to earn a spot out of the gate. Hopefully he holds onto it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    ]Hendriks was our #4 at the[ start of last season, this will be his last big chance to prove anything.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get why some people are so ready to conclude that Liam Hendriks is a flop. Isn't it fairly common for a young pitcher to have a shaky rookie year? Frank Viola....no, wait. I won't go there. Hey, give the kid a chance!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I'm a believer in Hendriks, and it kinda bothers me when people ignore him (of course, it's a minor bother given all the bots on this site).

His numbers in AAA were truly outstanding, he's still young (23?), and he showed some indications of being able to put a few things together late last year, despite his abhorrent start. He's not a 28 year old AAAA guy who's never been particularly good at any level.

It might take him a little time, but I think he puts it together. I certainly hope he doesn't sit behind someone like Correia because of the pay due to him. But I think he'll show enough to earn a spot out of the gate. Hopefully he holds onto it.
    A typical team in a typical year is always due a surprise or break out player. Certainly, in 2012, the Twins had Zero expectations for Diamond and Revere was considered a 4th OF when Spring Training broke North. I would have to nominate Hendriks for the top pick to be on of the break out and surprises list for 2013. Diamond seemingly suddenly "found it" as he clicked out of nowhere in Rochester before getting the callup and sustaining it with the Twins. Hendriks already had his revelation of mastery at Rochester in 2012. I hope Cuellar is the common link to both guys and they give Hendy a realistic shot at making the rotation out of ST, notwithstanding the money invested on the new faces coming in.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-01-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    I don't get why some people are so ready to conclude that Liam Hendriks is a flop. Isn't it fairly common for a young pitcher to have a shaky rookie year? Frank Viola....no, wait. I won't go there. Hey, give the kid a chance!
    A right hander with similar speed would be Dempster who struggled as a 21 year old and then figured it out. Kyle Lohse had a rough go his first year, also.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    A right hander with similar speed would be Dempster who struggled as a 21 year old and then figured it out. Kyle Lohse had a rough go his first year, also.
    Age-wise, Lohse and Hendriks are on the same age progression and both would be considered outside of the main stream, culturally. Hendriks minor league numbers are comparatively better, and has a little better control, but not as fast as Lohse. This is one guy that will hold my interest on his progression in a huge year of opportunity for him. I think it's largely mental at this point and learning how to "pitch".

Liked 670 Times in 354 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I saw Hendriks pitch in Anaheim last year, in the game where Weaver threw the no hitter.

It seemed to me that Hendriks did not have anything resembling an "out pitch." It seemed to me that the Angels hitters were fouling off a lot of pitches until they got something to hit. If Hendriks could develop an "out pitch" (or something that would at least keep hitters off balance more), then I think that he could be great. I wonder how difficult it would be to teach Hendriks to throw a decent slider or a better changeup. I also wonder if Johan Santana might be available as a pitching instructor after next year.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I saw Hendriks pitch in Anaheim last year, in the game where Weaver threw the no hitter.

It seemed to me that Hendriks did not have anything resembling an "out pitch." It seemed to me that the Angels hitters were fouling off a lot of pitches until they got something to hit. If Hendriks could develop an "out pitch" (or something that would at least keep hitters off balance more), then I think that he could be great. I wonder how difficult it would be to teach Hendriks to throw a decent slider or a better changeup. I also wonder if Johan Santana might be available as a pitching instructor after next year.
    A cutter disguised as a fastball would be nice, relatively simple to teach and easier on the arm.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 525 Times in 345 Posts
    I have said all along that he should pitch every day in the majors, let's see how good his stuff is. Especially now given the moves they have made.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I have said all along that he should pitch every day in the majors, let's see how good his stuff is. Especially now given the moves they have made.
    Well...

Maybe every five days or so.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 341 Times in 181 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everyone knows that I'm incredibly high on Hendriks. Not that he can be a #1, but I think he can be equivalent to what Scott Baker was (which was a #3 with sometimes #2 abilities). He's got the same pitches. He has the control. I just think he's very smart pitching-wise, and he was thinking too much. getting that first Win out of the way will help. He definitely was in his head in the big leagues last year. What would be great is if he had another strong spring training and got off to a nice start, like 3-1 in April or something. Then he can relax and just pitch. I think he can be successful.

Granted, I've been wrong about several players, but I'll take my chances with Liam.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 525 Times in 345 Posts
    I knew someone would point out my badly worded post.....sorry about that.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,470 Times in 771 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not as high on Hendriks as Seth but I think his ceiling is somewhere around a #3, more likely a #4. His lack of an out pitch is a little distressing. All in all, I think he'll be a serviceable pitcher and I don't worry too much about his struggles last season. He'll probably come around once he learns to trust his stuff instead of nibbling at corners and pitching scared.

I've been high on some Hendriks as well. I've watched more than handful of games where Hendriks has the hitters fooled initially, getting good ground balls, etc... but by the third time around the lineup... goodbye mr. spaulding (in our case, mr. rawlings).

I like the comparison to Scott Baker. I actually deleted that part of my original post. I think Baker had a lot of mental, get through the tough stuff, issues up front. He sorted them out with some positive thinking guru, if I remember correctly. Not sure if that's something Hendriks needs or if he just needs to pull on his big boy pants and dig in.

Here's hoping the man shows up and is one of those picks to click in '13.

I would like to finish the year with Hendriks and Gibson, both, finding some consistency.

Prediction is that they bring Gibson up AFTER 6 weeks (unless a pitcher gets hurt). Hicks starts the season with the big club (unless he has a disastrous spring). Hendriks slotted as #4/5 right out the gate.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,098 Times in 588 Posts
    I think his lack of an "out" pitch is a little overstated. I was at the Seattle game last year where he went toe to toe with King Felix,easily his best performance of the season. What I saw in that game was a pitcher going after hitters instead of nibbling around the edges and hoping for strikes. 22/31 first pitch strikes and kept them off balance all night, 6 SO showed he had no problem getting guys out. No pitcher establishes much of an out pitch when they are pitching from behind all night, something Hendriks did a lot of last season.

IMO he just needs to trust his stuff and get after it, something it takes a lot of young pitchers a little while to have confidence in at this level.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last September, I took a look at Hendriks and what his issues were at the major league level. Part of it was because he was getting obliterated by right-handed opponents -- the results of not pitching inside and attempting to hit the outer-half of the plate while throwing across his body:

Twins Daily - What's hindering Hendriks?

i have said my case against hendricks several times before, i just dont see what most on here see, to be remotely successful in the bigs you need atleast 1 plus pitch, he has none , they are all average at best, he is a #5 or long man in the NL...devries ,walters & deduno have better stuff. i am rooting for him because the twins really need him, but i dont think the results are going to be what we are hoping for. i really dont think his #s will be that good in AAA again. i know he pitched some good games (seattle) but if you run a guy out there enough he is bound to pitch good every now & then. the only thing that gives me hope for hendricks is his AAA #s, i have to say he did dominate there. but AAA is not the bigs.

Liked 2,152 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think North is spot on... Young Pitcher... What he was last year doesn't mean he is gonna be that way next year or 2 years for now.

When you are trying to make the majors... You can grip that ball a little tight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast