Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Updated Opening Day Roster

Right now Burroughs does not appear to be versatile enough for a utility role. I think it is just as likely at the end of spring training that Terry Ryan will find a SS/UTIL guy from outside the organization to handle that role until Dozier is ready. If they go with who they have right now, I'd expect Chang or Hollimon to get the spot, but just until Dozier is called up sometime in June (or before is someone is injured or doesn't perform). One reason I don't see Dozier on the opening day roster is Gardenhire likes to rotate his bench players into games fairly regularly, especially in the early part of the season. If Dozier is on the team, he needs to play every day with just an occasional day off.

In the bullpen, I'd be surprised if Maloney is not with the team opening day. He has pitched too well to expose to waivers, and I believe he is out of options. Also, according to Terry Ryan, Maloney, Swarzak and Hendriks are going to be stretched out in case they are needed as starters. That would put Maloney as my #1 option to move into the rotation is Baker or someone else is not ready. Manship is probably the odd man out.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Towels as backup catcher I could see. Doumit as a full time RF is a bad idea. If he and Willingham were in the outfield together, things would get ugly in a hurry. Willingham just won't be able to cover all of LF, at least not in Target Field. Parmalee is too young to be considered a full time DH anyway.

I'm excited about Parmalee as well. It looks like your lineup is trying to get Doumit, Willingham, Parmalee, Morneau and Mauer all in the lineup at the same time. That would be exciting yes, but probably not practical. If anything, you'd have Parmalee play RF (which he has done in the minors), Willingham in LF, Doumit DH. That would still leave some big questions in the outfield for defense.

I should clarify that I'm not sure if this is what I'd do (though I don't think it's a bad idea)... simply that I suspect that the Twins might be thinking about this. Parmalee is on the 40 man, if memory serves me right, which means that he should have been sent down already, but he hasn't, so they are giving him a strong look. I doubt Doumit will be a full time anything given his injury history, but with LF essentially being an offensive void, I could see him replacing the Plouffe/Revere combo with some frequency in order to minimize that damage. I'd forgotten that Parmalee has played some OF... Like you said, they could put him out in right as well.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Twins want to give Dozier some time at AAA to see if the success he had in AA continues before they bring him to the bigs

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    I think the Twins want to give Dozier some time at AAA to see if the success he had in AA continues before they bring him to the bigs
    No reason to rush with him really. He'll be there if Carroll/Casilla get hurt or struggle, might as well get him some tread in Rochester.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    No reason to rush with him really. He'll be there if Carroll/Casilla get hurt or struggle, might as well get him some tread in Rochester.

Agree ...I think this is what will happen although i'd like to see him stick but only as an everyday guy.

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I should clarify that I'm not sure if this is what I'd do (though I don't think it's a bad idea)... simply that I suspect that the Twins might be thinking about this. Parmalee is on the 40 man, if memory serves me right, which means that he should have been sent down already, but he hasn't, so they are giving him a strong look. I doubt Doumit will be a full time anything given his injury history, but with LF essentially being an offensive void, I could see him replacing the Plouffe/Revere combo with some frequency in order to minimize that damage. I'd forgotten that Parmalee has played some OF... Like you said, they could put him out in right as well.
    I can see Doumit being a full time DH with his injury history. Hopefully, not playing in the field as much will really help him stay healthy. I don't know for a fact, but I have heard that even though Doumit can play RF, he's not that good at it. I don't have any numbers to back that up, nor have I actually watched him play RF, so my opinion on him playing RF is all hearsay at this point.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf69 View Post
    Dozier at SS and Carroll at 2B with Lexi backing up seems like the likeliest of scenarios IF they choose to go that route.
    Casilla>Carrol

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Burnett was a big contributor to the misery at Target Field last year. HE needs to go to Rochester, and learn how to pitch.

Liked 113 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    - Towles has to beat Butera to get that job, and so far I don't think he has.
    - I like Maloney over Waldrop.
    - I thought early in spring training that Burroughs might have a shot to make this roster. I haven't had much attention to pay to the games the last couple of days, but I think I would say it is more likely they bring in a true utility infielder from another team.
    - But I'll add one more....I'm not sure Baker is ready or that the Twins are confident he'll be ready. So I'd swap out him and Hendricks.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    - Towles has to beat Butera to get that job, and so far I don't think he has.
    - I like Maloney over Waldrop.
    - I thought early in spring training that Burroughs might have a shot to make this roster. I haven't had much attention to pay to the games the last couple of days, but I think I would say it is more likely they bring in a true utility infielder from another team.
    - But I'll add one more....I'm not sure Baker is ready or that the Twins are confident he'll be ready. So I'd swap out him and Hendricks.
    I would think based on upside alone that he already has. We all know what it is we have in Butera. It's nothing that cannot be had in Rene Revera or Towles. If it was a wash, I'd go with Towles knowing that there's a small chance that his bat actually plays at the ML level if called into service..

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't understand the logic here. If Tsyoshi Nishioka is at Rochester starting at SS when is Brian Dozier going to play. I can almost asure you he will break camp with the Twins. He is 24 years old and ready. This idea that you have to play in Rochester for three years like Span is crazy talk.

So maybe Dozier plays short and Nishioka plays second? Or maybe -- shudder -- Dozier heads back to New Britain?
    Follow me on Twitter: @brandon_warne (drop me a line and I'll follow back)
    Check out the Minnesota Baseball Writer's Alliance Facebook page!
    Finally, GO TWINS!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Warne View Post
    So maybe Dozier plays short and Nishioka plays second? Or maybe -- shudder -- Dozier heads back to New Britain?

I think sending Nishioka to NB is a more likely option than sending Dozier there. That being said, I think Nishi plays 2B with Dozier at SS if Dozier doesn't make the major league roster for opening day.
    -Jake-
    @JakeErickson
    "Live, Love, Laugh, Enjoy Life" - KP #34

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why is everyone so concerned that a 24 year old player (Dozier) who is good enough to play at the major league level starts at Rochester. I just don't understand the thinking here?? The ultimate goal is for him to play with the Twins for the next 5-7 years so let him get some experience at the big league level. He will take his lumps but who cares the team is not going to win more than 70-75 games anyways. I mean why not just leave him at Rochester for 3 more years of experience before bringing him up. This is deluded thinking and the people that want Dozier to get "More seasoning" will never be happy with how much time he spends in the minors. Dozier came out of nowhere to have a great year and proved it was no fluke with a good AFL performance. Naturally the next step would be to start at SS on opening day for the Twins. Sending him back to Rochester makes absolutely no sense at all.

By the way Terry Ryan said he wants Nishioka to play SS everyday at Rochester. Basic mathematics tells you Dozier will be in Minnesota this year.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think a month of starting at SS in Rochester would be perfect. It's about enough (probably 100 PA) to take the reigns and work on the final few things... by waiting until May 1 to bring him up, they potentially delay his F/A timeline for a full year. If, FJ, you don't think the team is going to win more than 70-75 games this year, yet the goal is to be better again for the following years, that year in 2019 may be more important anyway.

I realize that worrying about 2019 in 2012 doesn't always make sense either, but for 1 month, I think that the 1 extra year is valuable. By waiting a month, you're not saving a ton of money because he would likely be a four-year arbitration guy and make money. You're saving the year. If they wait until late June, then you save the year and arbitration money.

That all said, I'd be 100% fine if Dozier is the opening day starter at SS with Carroll at 2B and Casilla playing 2-3 times a week around the infield and pinch running.

Sounds like Gardy just said this morning that Dozier likely starts in AAA, but they won't hesitate to bring him up if Casilla or Carroll get injured. This seems consistent with what most people thought. It looks like this additional time in ML camp is just to get him the experience (probably similar to Benson & Parmelee).
    -Jake-
    @JakeErickson
    "Live, Love, Laugh, Enjoy Life" - KP #34

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    Why is everyone so concerned that a 24 year old player (Dozier) who is good enough to play at the major league level starts at Rochester. I just don't understand the thinking here?? The ultimate goal is for him to play with the Twins for the next 5-7 years so let him get some experience at the big league level. He will take his lumps but who cares the team is not going to win more than 70-75 games anyways. I mean why not just leave him at Rochester for 3 more years of experience before bringing him up. This is deluded thinking and the people that want Dozier to get "More seasoning" will never be happy with how much time he spends in the minors. Dozier came out of nowhere to have a great year and proved it was no fluke with a good AFL performance. Naturally the next step would be to start at SS on opening day for the Twins. Sending him back to Rochester makes absolutely no sense at all.

By the way Terry Ryan said he wants Nishioka to play SS everyday at Rochester. Basic mathematics tells you Dozier will be in Minnesota this year.
    Because there's a clear difference between spending ANY time in Rochester and spending THREE YEARS?
    Follow me on Twitter: @brandon_warne (drop me a line and I'll follow back)
    Check out the Minnesota Baseball Writer's Alliance Facebook page!
    Finally, GO TWINS!

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Fanatic Jack is to Twins Daily as DH was/is to Rube chat.......YAY!

Didn't think this needed it's own thread, but sort of relevant to this discussion. Parmalee is starting in RF today according to LEN III

Feeling 98% on this one.

C: Mauer, Doumit
    1B: Morneau, Parmelee
    2B: Casilla, Hughes
    3B: Valencia, Burroughs
    SS: Carrol,
    OF: Revere,Span, Plouffe(SS), Willingham

SP: Liriano,Pavano,Baker, Blackburn, Marquis
    RP: Capps(CL), Perkins(SU), Burton(MRP), Swarzak(MRP), Maloney(Long), Duensing(LOOGY), Waldrop(MRP)

EDIT: only thing that could change IMO is Burroughs for either Florimon/Hollimon for MI depth.

First MI call up: Dozier
    First OF call up: Benson
    First P call up : Burnett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12