Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day lineup?

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Podsednik?

I watched him play about 15 times last 2 seasons (once in ST 2012 against the Twins) when he was with the IronPigs. His fielding skills are still decent but not as good as Mastroianni's at this point and his hitting is Buterrible.

I'd pass
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 707 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Instead of Scotty Pods... And I've always been a fan of his when he wasn't with the White Sox... Instead of Pods... I'd rather the Twins picked up someone who can jack one.

If Florimon is gonna start and it looks like he is. Someone has to be available on the bench to hit for him when we are down in the ninth. I don't see that guy right now... Mastro... Ain't it... Carroll ain't it... I like Mastro and Carroll but they are not a late inning type.

Is this how someone like Clement gets in the door? Carlos Lee would be a consideration if he came cheap.

If Clement comes in for this role... He would take Butera's spot most likely.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    If Clement comes in for this role... He would take Butera's spot most likely.
    Butera's scholarship got renewed for 2013 when the Twins decided to offer him arbitration and pay him $700K instead of refusing and signing him to a MiLB contract with a ST invite (which would have been the thing to do.) He is not going anywhere, unless Gardy goes.
    -----

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 343 Times in 196 Posts
    This team isn't going to go out and add anyone for CF unless there is an injury. This is what I hope the lineup is and I think it has a good chance:

CF Mastroanni
    2B Carroll
    C Mauer
    1B Morneau
    LF Willingham
    DH Parmalee
    3B Plouffe
    RF Benson
    SS Florimon

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see zero need to acquire an outfielder from outside the organization, especially with all the talent coming up in the next few years.

The battle for SS seems essentially a wash - Escobar has a more versatile glove, while Florimon has a stronger arm and more pop in the bat. Sadly, both have sub - .240 averages.

I could see the Twins jumping Joe Benson over Aaron Hicks purely for contract reasons. Benson's a little more experienced, and he may have a little more power right now. That's one of the best competitions to follow this spring. If Hicks bangs a couple homers, then all bets are off.

Pitching... Diamond and Worley will be good, and then we start rolling the dice. At least eleven men are going to vie for the last three starting slots in the rotation, and that's not counting the spring cattle call and Sam Deduno, who isn't listed on the roster but has pitched well in the winter leagues. Will one or two of these many candidates show solid stuff this spring? Probably. Will it last? Probably not. I expect a lot of movement in the 3, 4, and 5 slots this year. Situations like that usually don't turn out very well.
    Last edited by jimbo92107; 02-02-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Butera's scholarship got renewed for 2013 when the Twins decided to offer him arbitration and pay him $700K instead of refusing and signing him to a MiLB contract with a ST invite (which would have been the thing to do.) He is not going anywhere, unless Gardy goes.
    Not that they should have done that, but in the scheme of things, $700k is nothing to a major league team. If they have to cut him to make room for another player, they'll do it and their budget won't exactly be broken.

I'd love to see Clement have some real success. He's got the talent, and although time is not on his side, if he puts it together, he could really hit.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 200 Times in 115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Dozier earns himself the SS job in ST.

1. Mastro CF
    2. Carroll 2B
    3. Mauer C
    4. Willingham LF
    5. Morneau 1B
    6. Doumit DH
    7. Plouffe 3B
    8. Parmelee RF
    9. Dozier SS

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't you think we should have spring training first?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Don't you think we should have spring training first?
    Yes. Speculation is pointless. The forum will be closed until opening day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I'd love to see Clement have some real success. He's got the talent, and although time is not on his side, if he puts it together, he could really hit.
    Call me a cynic, but Clement reminds me a lot of Sean Burroughs (minus the eating from garbage cans before detoxing drama)
    -----

Blog Entries
    Call me a cynic, but Clement reminds me a lot of Sean Burroughs (minus the eating from garbage cans before detoxing drama)
    Clement has failed thus far... There is nothing to suggest he won't continue failing.... However... He can park it and we don't have a bat off the bench who can.

Thrylos... You gotta a real good grip on the farm... I respect your opinion... Do we have anyone else ready for a power bench bat role?

Blog Entries
    Do we have anyone else ready for a power bench bat role?
    Chris Colabello and (this might sound like a surprise to many) Deibi Romero (and he can play third and first and some OF)
    -----

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 341 Times in 226 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    This team isn't going to go out and add anyone for CF unless there is an injury. This is what I hope the lineup is and I think it has a good chance:

CF Mastroanni
    2B Carroll
    C Mauer
    1B Morneau
    LF Willingham
    DH Parmalee
    3B Plouffe
    RF Benson
    SS Florimon
    Did they extend Doumit to have him play back-up catcher and pinch hit only?

Or do you see them moving Doumit out in ST?

Blog Entries
    Chris Colabello and (this might sound like a surprise to many) Deibi Romero (and he can play third and first and some OF)
    Shane blogged about Colabello... What a great story...

In the end I'm ok with starting Florimon... But we have to have someone who can replace him at the plate late in games.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I think Dozier earns himself the SS job in ST.

1. Mastro CF
    2. Carroll 2B
    3. Mauer C
    4. Willingham LF
    5. Morneau 1B
    6. Doumit DH
    7. Plouffe 3B
    8. Parmelee RF
    9. Dozier SS
    Short of Mauer moving up to the 2-hole, that actually is about the best 8-9-1-2 "turn-over-the-order-and-set-the-plate" batting lineup until, presumably, Hicks fits his shoes into the Leadoff spot at some point during the season, bravo!

Since we know they are never going to move Mauer in the 2-hole, I still would like to see if Carroll could continue his success in the 9 spot last year and try an experiment with a top of the order of Hicks-Parmelee when Hicks finally gets the call-up.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Shane blogged about Colabello... What a great story...

In the end I'm ok with starting Florimon... But we have to have someone who can replace him at the plate late in games.
    What? You're not already blown away by that current veritable embarrasment of bench riches for those late inning situations...?

Thome is still available....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    What? You're not already blown away by that current veritable embarrasment of bench riches for those late inning situations...?

Thome is still available....
    Can't say that I'm blown away. In this particular area... I can't even say I've been "Zephyred" away.

Its like Tommy Boy in a boat with his date while Jokin and his friends stand on the shore hurling insults.

Did they extend Doumit to have him play back-up catcher and pinch hit only?

Or do you see them moving Doumit out in ST?
    I have him shifting around. I expect that between C/DH/RF/1B/CF there will be a lot of shuffling the first two months.

I'm hoping by June 1 we are seeing Benson and Hicks in CF/RF with Doumit and Parmalee splitting DH at-bats.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I have him shifting around. I expect that between C/DH/RF/1B/CF there will be a lot of shuffling the first two months.

I'm hoping by June 1 we are seeing Benson and Hicks in CF/RF with Doumit and Parmalee splitting DH at-bats.
    I actually would love to see a Benson revival as well, the OF defense could use the shot in the arm and even Benson putting up a pale comparison of his 2011 AA numbers, say .250BA/.750 OPS would be a nice comeback from his nightmare 2012 season.

But this potential outcome for surplus at OF & DH does raise the inevitable questions about who gets moved, and when, between Willingham, Doumit and Morneau.

But this potential outcome for surplus at OF & DH does raise the inevitable questions about who gets moved, and when, between Willingham, Doumit and Morneau.
    My hope is that this scenario plays out and Willingham is dealt at the deadline next year.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast