Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Todd Redmond

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 813 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries

Todd Redmond

The Reds released AAA SP, Todd Redmond, yesterday after signing him to a $490,000 contract in November.

Redmond is a big-framed guy, 6'3" and 215#s and will be 28 in May and has the dubious distinction of having his name in the dictionary twice, pictured next to the meaning of "Starting Pitcher, AAAA" as well as "Positional Blocking, Major League".

His 4 years worth of AAA stats are actually pretty decent, he apparently never misses a start and he throws about 72% FBs averaging 89 MPH and has very good K/9 (7.6) and K/BB (3.00) ratios with a AAA 3.78 ERA along with a WHIP of 1.25.

Question??? As these are numbers that vary from much-better to far-superior to what the current "depth guys", Deduno, DeVries, Walters and Hernandez have put up at AAA- and given the fact that he's the same age or younger than everyone except Hernandez- why wouldn't TR pull the trigger on this virtually zero cost option in the Twins favorable waiver postion?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    The real question is can he pitch to contact...

He would be a great addition to the organization. That being said the Twins (Terry Ryan) would probably have no interest in signing him.

why wouldn't TR pull the trigger on this virtually zero cost option in the Twins favorable waiver postion?

Players like Todd Richmond go through waivers in their league first, so the Twins would be second in line if he gets past all teams in the NL. So 15 teams would have to pass on him.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't appear that Redmond and Krivsky crossed paths in the Reds organization. If they had, I would think there would be a better chance that the Twins would consider him.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The question should have been phrased more like: "would it make sense for the Twins to sign him instead of a 36 year old (Elarton) pitcher who just doesn't have it any more or a 35 year old catcher who wants to be a pitcher (Lane) or the usual independent league crowd that makes its home in Minnie"

Then I would get it and would say "maybe" (But still would rather see the kids up)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    The question should have been phrased more like: "would it make sense for the Twins to sign him instead of a 36 year old (Elarton) pitcher who just doesn't have it any more or a 35 year old catcher who wants to be a pitcher (Lane) or the usual independent league crowd that makes its home in Minnie"

Then I would get it and would say "maybe" (But still would rather see the kids up)
    Which "kids" are you referring to, Deduno (30), DeVries (28), Walters (28)? (Being facetious, but still, if you're looking for pitching depth with a still-questionable ML rotation only slightly upgraded from last year, why should any of these guys still be around?) Promote from below and find better replacements on the cheap, Redmond and Hermsen (and maybe Hernandez?) seem to fill the bill.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't do this. I just don't see that it adds significantly to the pitching picture; it feels like throwing more jello against the wall in the hope something sticks.

I also don't think his numbers are that good - Deduno has better AAA numbers than he does (3.43 ERA, 8.2 K/9). DeVries, Walters, and Deduno also have MLB experience and, while they were inconsistent, they did throw a few good games. Redmond has started in MLB once and got chased in the 4th.

Redmond and Scott Diamond were teammates on the 2010 Gwinnett Braves.

The Twins currently have a full 40-man roster: 22 pitchers, 8 infielders, 5 outfielders, 5 catchers.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I wouldn't do this. I just don't see that it adds significantly to the pitching picture; it feels like throwing more jello against the wall in the hope something sticks.

I also don't think his numbers are that good - Deduno has better AAA numbers than he does (3.43 ERA, 8.2 K/9). DeVries, Walters, and Deduno also have MLB experience and, while they were inconsistent, they did throw a few good games. Redmond has started in MLB once and got chased in the 4th.
    Love how you leave out Deduno's B/9 there, while strikeouts are nice, some measure of control is appreciated as well.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    Love how you leave out Deduno's B/9 there, while strikeouts are nice, some measure of control is appreciated as well.
    Deduno is also 2 years older. From pitch to pitch, no control, the tradeoff for one more K/inning doesn't seem worth the wildness, "effective", or not. BB/9 is 2.5/9 vs. 5/9 for Deduno. K/BB almost half of Redmond's number. The major league experience for none of the 3 has been exactly promising about their future as ML starters. If you look at Redmond's career, it doesn't look like he's ever missed a start, so you do have some predictability of what you're going to get, vastly unlike Deduno. Redmond, also, to some degree has been blocked by better pitching staffs in Atlanta and Cincy.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-03-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by benhertz View Post
    Redmond and Scott Diamond were teammates on the 2010 Gwinnett Braves.

The Twins currently have a full 40-man roster: 22 pitchers, 8 infielders, 5 outfielders, 5 catchers.
    Redmond can possibly be picked up on a minor league deal- of the pitchers mentioned, only DeVries and Hernandez are on the 40-man roster and I believe they both have options remaining. Redmond could take one of their spots or possibly join or replace Walters and Deduno in Rochester. Plus the possibility that at least the older 3 mentioned in the OP provide value to the Twins is very debatable.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-03-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    possibly join or replace Walters and Deduno in Rochester. Plus the possibility that at least the older 3 mentioned in the OP provide value to the Twins is very debatable.
    If the Twins need to clean house in AAA it should start with the likes of 35 year old plus had beens (Elarton) and never had beens (Lake). De Vries, Walters and Deduno do have some value. And I would rather see May in Rochester (and it might happen the way TR is talking) than the 2 mentioned above and Redmond. DeVries Deduno and Walters are about the same age as Redmond (28-29) so you are not getting much (like more prime years) by replacing one of them with Redmond.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,238 Times in 492 Posts
    Is he willing to throw nekkid bullpen sessions?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Is he willing to throw nekkid bullpen sessions?
    If that is what you want to see.

The Twins would ave to add him to the 40-man, than waive him if they wish to send him to the minors themselves. So, you lose a player potentially and if you decide to send him out, could relose him. Not yet a free-agent, I believe...minors or otherwise.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doogie just tweeted me that the word from the Redmond camp is that they're hoping the Twins put in a claim.

Other pitcher news, Brandon Webb still hasn't scheduled his tryout/workout that the Twins have planned to be at.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Doogie just tweeted me that the word from the Redmond camp is that they're hoping the Twins put in a claim.

Other pitcher news, Brandon Webb still hasn't scheduled his tryout/workout that the Twins have planned to be at.
    If Doogie tweeted it you gotta believe it to be true.
    But, If I could only recall who make a bold statement that Scott Baker was going to be resigned by the Twins. I wish I could remember who said that.

Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    If Doogie tweeted it you gotta believe it to be true.
    But, If I could only recall who make a bold statement that Scott Baker was going to be resigned by the Twins. I wish I could remember who said that.
    Thyrlos posted a couple of mea culpas. That is far better admit of mistakes than 98% of the people here

Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
    Maybe his skills don't translate to mlb level as well as the current group of Twins emergency or unnatural disaster pitchers. See Anthony Slama 2011

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Is he particularly interested in the Twins, or is he just hoping somebody (anybody) picks up him because he doesn't want to have to settle for a minor league contract?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast