Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twins interested in Jose Contreras?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What is the downside?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Do you really want the Twins' staff getting a hold of a 41 year old who is coming off of a "rest and rehab" regime for his torn UCL?
    Are you scared they might break an NRI? Perhaps it's not in Contreras best interests though.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A tweet minutes ago from Friend of Twins Daily, Darren "Doogie" Wolfson, "Asked a #MNTwins source if it's random that Jose Contreras is working out at their facility, or if a signing is coming. Answer: "Random.""

Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    I think you can if the pitching in question is 41. And that's a Cuban 41, which is probably closer to 50.
    If Cleveland math is 22+3=27,

Then Cuban math is 50-9=41 or 33-2=21,

And California math is Bert's favorite subject,

I hate math.
    Better looking with the lights out.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Are you scared they might break an NRI? Perhaps it's not in Contreras best interests though.
    It isn't that important to the Twins that he may fall apart. I'm just not sure a rebuilding team needs to go for such a high degree of difficulty when building up a AAA bullpen.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Ideally I'd like to see them use 11, like most good teams. But unless the rotation exceeds most people's expectations, it will take 12 or 13 just to keep from burning out the bullpen.

Like I said, I'm not commenting on the merits of Lara as a rule 5 pick, I'm just saying that an organization that is in rebuild mode shouldn't be scared to death of losing a backup catcher who happens to be one of the worst hitters in the history of baseball, as opposed to using the spot on someone who might actually turn into a ballplayer.
    It would be nice to have a bench other then escobar , butrea and carroll, so im hoping to go with 11 or 12 pitchers this year as well,
    or that drew is in rochestor all year except if there is an injury to either joe or doumit

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    A) I think people greatly overestimate how strong the Twins bullpen is. One injury, disappointment or trade could result in a 2011 repeat.

B) I'll take Contreras on an NRI. He was sneaky good when he moved to the bullpen.

C) I'm loving that this Lara obsession hasn't subsided yet. I can't wait for weekly (daily?) updates in spring training.
    Obsession? how many left handers throw this hard? you can not teach velocity, he has potential....and Jose or Robertson?
    For 50,000 we had a chance to add to the competition to the pen for the 3rd lefty spot....and you believe that is a bad thing?
    1 of the perks for being the worst team in the American leaque is we get to claim and draft 1st....so why not use that advantage?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123