Thread: Minor League Rosters finalized?

Minor League Rosters finalized?

Just a quick question to those with a better idea than me. Is there a date or time frame when the Twins Minor League Rosters are usually set? (if this is posted somewhere else, sorry!)

I think we can make good assumptions based on prior years, especially for the double A and triple A rosters, but just curious when they make those final decisions, especially for players like Sano, Rosario, Berrios, Keppler, Michael, etc...

Thanks for any help!

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The rosters are finalized about 4-5 days before their seasons start.

Guessing: Sano, Rosario, Michael start in FM. Kepler in Cedar Rapids. I'd also say there's a pretty decent chance that Berrios and Buxton are in CR.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Off subject , but i have a question about PTBN if the Twins made a trade , and it included a PTBN , could the said player be some one who was drafted in june of 2012 , if he wasnt sent untill after this years draft?

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Players can't be traded until a year after signing. There is also a rule (that Seth made me aware of) that states a PTBNL has to be named within some many days. (I think six months.) The Twins also couldn't make a trade involving a PTBNL within the American League. So, yeah, most guys (unless they signed at the deadline) could be PTBNL. I doubt teams would be dead-set on certain guys, because they're obviously going to play from now until August and there is always a threat of injury.

Drew Pomeranz was a PTBNL in the Ubaldo deal a few years ago and it was a little unique because everybody knew it... he just couldn't be traded. If I remember correctly, the Rockies had the Indians shut him down until he could officially be moved.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 02-04-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Players can't be traded until a year after signing. There is also a rule (that Seth made me aware of) that states a PTBNL has to be named within some many days. (I think six months.) The Twins also couldn't make a trade involving a PTBNL within the American League. So, yeah, most guys (unless they signed at the deadline) could be PTBNL. I doubt teams would be dead-set on certain guys, because they're obviously going to play from now until August and there is always a threat of injury.

Drew Pomeranz was a PTBNL in the Ubaldo deal a few years ago and it was a little unique because everybody knew it... he just couldn't be traded. If I remember correctly, the Rockies had the Indians shut him down until he could officially be moved.
    Great story about Pomeranz. One of those fun basball trivia things.
    Man I love baseball.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post

Not only a draft guru , thanks jeremy you made my night =)

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    PTBNL process not as easy as it might sound - USATODAY.com

Linking from my phone, after making your night I had to confirm my thoughts. Enjoy!

I just posted on another thread about Nate Roberts the kid that did really well last fall in the Arizona league. I don't see him on any of the top prospect lists but MLB thought last fall he was kid that could reach Major leagues. I be curious why Twins played in Arizona fall league usually
    that is for talent that not to far away from big leagues and if he's ways away why did they have him play there last fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The rosters are finalized about 4-5 days before their seasons start.

Guessing: Sano, Rosario, Michael start in FM. Kepler in Cedar Rapids. I'd also say there's a pretty decent chance that Berrios and Buxton are in CR.
    Thanks Seth. What are your thoughts on Levi Michael? I know you had him as your 30th ranked prospect. Being a 3 year college player, and struggling in A ball does not really seem like it would translate to much big league success, however, I don't want to write the guy off yet (he is only 21). However, being that the Twins do have a void up the middle, what would you say his ceiling is? Guzman? Rivas? Punto? If it does 'click' for him in the next couple of seasons, what would you expect?

With Keppler, and possibly Buxton and Berrios at CR, it might be time for a road trip south this season. Only 4 1/2 hours from the Twin Cities...

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is how the MWL played out last year. Opening Day was 4/5
    Cardinals on 3/30
    Royals on 3/30
    Padres on 3/31
    Reds on 3/31
    Jays on 3/31
    Rays 4/1
    Indians 4/1
    Dodgers 4/2
    Tigers 4/2
    Cubs 4/2
    Brewers 4/2
    A's on 4/2
    Angels on 4/2
    D-Backs 4/2
    Seattle 4/4
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932