Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: TD: Twins Top Prospects: #8 JO Berrios

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: TD: Twins Top Prospects: #8 JO Berrios

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I challenge anyone to watch that video and NOT smile.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice work. I would gladly welcome that kind of crying over the kind we've endured over the last few years. If this whole organization can turn it around for and with these young players, we might have a shot later in the decade. Time will tell.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 201 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks again, Seth, and thanks righty8383 for prompting me to push "play". You made my day.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Awesome, just awesome. I keep reading about his confidence and mature approach, and I think I can actually see it in his eyes. I really like this kid.

When you do your Twins top prospects list next year it wouldn't surprise me if Berrios is #1.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I think I'm rooting for Berrios more than any other prospect we have.

Just to add though, a few mocks had him going in the end of the first round and some Rangers and Yankee fansites really wanted them to grab Berrios. So the Twins certainly didn't reach to draft him first in the supplemental. Nice pick for us.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LewFordLives View Post
    When you do your Twins top prospects list next year it wouldn't surprise me if Berrios is #1.
    I'll be honest. I can certainly see him jumping up to #3. I'd be a little surprised if he gets above Sano and Buxton, but if he does make the case to be considered for #1, we all will be very happy!! He does have some serious talent and potential.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    "He will need to locate his off-speed pitches more consistantly and develop at least one of them into a go-to out pitch."--Steil Director of Minor League Operations
    This is unexpected. Other than Santana, Twins' pitchers did not have an "out" pitch. They simply "pitched-to-contact". I conclude that either there has been a change in philosophy or Mr. Steil is in need of a "re-education seminar." I certainly hope it is a change, because Berrios sounds like just the guy the Twins need at the top of the rotation.

I hope kid gets shot in midwest league, given Twins history with pitchers picks, my biggest hope is he avoids the dreaded arm injury path that often seems to include Tommy John surgery...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    "He will need to locate his off-speed pitches more consistantly and develop at least one of them into a go-to out pitch."--Steil Director of Minor League Operations
    This is unexpected. Other than Santana, Twins' pitchers did not have an "out" pitch. They simply "pitched-to-contact". I conclude that either there has been a change in philosophy or Mr. Steil is in need of a "re-education seminar." I certainly hope it is a change, because Berrios sounds like just the guy the Twins need at the top of the rotation.
    I don't think it's really a change in philosophy as much as finding a guy who has that kind of stuff in the draft at that spot.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Unlike Seth, it's pretty clear to me that there's been a shift in how the Twins acquire young arms from last years draft to May and Meyers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Unlike Seth, it's pretty clear to me that there's been a shift in how the Twins acquire young arms from last years draft to May and Meyers.
    When else in recent years did they acquire young arms via trade? Scott Diamond came through the Rule 5 draft. In the last several drafts, they have clearly gone after some power arms. Ben Tootle threw 100. Matt Bashore threw 97 before all his arm issues. Billy Bullock was in the upper-90s. Kyle Gibson hits 94, but he has "out" pitches. Wimmer's changeup was considered on 'out' pitch. In the 2012 draft, they drafted a lot of power arms (Bard's FB/SL, Melotakis (98), Chargois (97), Jones (100). Tyler Jones hits 95.

Santana touched 96, I guess, but he was generally 91-92 with the FB. His changeup was his 'out' pitch.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    When else in recent years did they acquire young arms via trade? Scott Diamond came through the Rule 5 draft. In the last several drafts, they have clearly gone after some power arms. Ben Tootle threw 100. Matt Bashore threw 97 before all his arm issues. Billy Bullock was in the upper-90s. Kyle Gibson hits 94, but he has "out" pitches. Wimmer's changeup was considered on 'out' pitch. In the 2012 draft, they drafted a lot of power arms (Bard's FB/SL, Melotakis (98), Chargois (97), Jones (100). Tyler Jones hits 95.

Santana touched 96, I guess, but he was generally 91-92 with the FB. His changeup was his 'out' pitch.
    You beat me to the Tootle/Bashore/Bullock "power arm change in philosophy" draft. I just hope now they're shifting towards GOOD power arms.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Most pitchers don't need to work too hard on an "out" pitch when they are incapable of throwing three pitches in the strike zone without the batter being able to put one of them in play. And Frankie Liriano's slider takes offense to your "other than Santana" comment.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Ha, yup I read that and thought, "How in the hell did any other Twins pitchers get promoted in the last decade?"

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts

It turned out to be a good trade, but the Twins did swap hard throwing Bullock for noodle armed Diamond. I also doubt Wimmers change up will be any more of an "out" pitch than it was for Brad Radke. The Twins have been drafting harder throwers for the last few years but it really didn't seem to be an organizational mandate until last year's draft.

Why else was every draft prognosticator able to correctly peg Alex Wimmers going to the Twins in 2010 even though they did not pick until #21? Even though Wimmers was thought of as close to MLB ready, none of the 20 teams ahead of the Twins thought he was worth the pick because he had very little upside due to his non-dominating stuff. Yet everyone correctly said he was going to be drafted by our favorite team, simply because their pitching philosophy was painted on their forehead for all to see.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts

It's the draft combined with the acquisition of May/Meyers that certainly seems to emphasize high-ceiling high-velocity arms than in years past. Of course the Twins haven't exactly shied away from power arms, but they haven't consistently emphasized it either, that's what's changed.

Blog Entries
    I think people make far too much out of velocity. yes, you've got Verlander and Sale and guys like that that throw hard. Guys like Sabathia and Cain became more successful as they have lost some of their velocity and mixed in their other pitches. Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay don't hit 93 on the radar very often. it's not about velocity. it's about having movement and three quality pitches.

Bashore and Tootle were 'good power arms' who just got hurt. that is more likely to happen when you draft power arms. Bullock, like most power arms, just can't throw strikes.

To be fair, Radke was pretty good. Wimmers was always believed to be a #3, and assuming he comes back at 100%, probably still will be. It's not about velocity, it's about location and effectiveness/movement of pitches.

Again, Santana didn't throw real, real hard. Don't get me wrong. I love the draft strategy last year, and in 2009 (Gibson, Bashore, Bullock, Tootle). Gibson should be a solid starter, maybe even a solid #2 type in time. There is a certain amount of luck in the draft. There is a reason that generally 1 player from the draft each year actually makes it. If you can get more than one, it's a terrific draft.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Watched that video last year, but happily watched it again.

My question, only partially in jest, is whether Berrios would be one of the five best SP the Twins could start THIS year. Meaning, would Berrios actually give the Twins the best chance to win games this year, despite not having pitched in A ball yet?

Here is a more serious question. When is the last time the Twins have had a pitcher put up these kind of numbers in short season ball?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast