Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Brian Dozier Learned from 2012, Looks Forward to 2013

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Brian Dozier Learned from 2012, Looks Forward to 2013

Good article--thanks Seth. I hope Brian makes it--I think he can be productive middle IF (not all-star but solid) in MLB. I hope that Gardy decides early in camp where his future is (SS, 2B) and leaves him there and lets him learn lots more.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins are depending on a lot of long shots this year, but I don't consider Brian Dozier to be one of them. I think Dozier is going to be about what he looked like - Nick Punto with more pop. If he can get his average over .250, we've got a good middle infielder for the next several years.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I'm optimistic for a .680-.700 OPS this year from Dozier. I think he can hit .270ish/.330ish/.360ish. He could get to double-digit home runs. If he can have that IsoD around .060-.080, he would be fine in that #2 spot in the lineup.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm optimistic for a .680-.700 OPS this year from Dozier. I think he can hit .270ish/.330ish/.360ish. He could get to double-digit home runs. If he can have that IsoD around .060-.080, he would be fine in that #2 spot in the lineup.
    That would be great. What are the odds he's a 2B vs. a SS?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,476 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty candid answers from Dozier. Here's to hoping he can turn that into results.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm pulling for Dozier. He's the only candidate for a middle infield job that has a chance to be above-average offensively. He has enough range, hands and arm to be a good defender although he wasn't good last year. While I was hoping he would be the 2013 SS, the tea leaves seem to be pointing toward second base.

Liked 684 Times in 358 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love Dozier's attitude. Also, his analysis as to where he went wrong last year makes sense. Hopefully he has now figured it out.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For me it is the brains here that makes me think Dozier can improve. He has always struck me in that way. He cares about improving and can learn from things. The Twins did him NO favors in 2012.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,216 Times in 487 Posts
    I so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so want Brian to become the quality, long-term middle infielder that this team has been seeking (ignoring?) for the better part of two decades.

Please Brian, for the sake of all our sanity and all that's good in this world, be a quality player, for multiple years.

And if you do in fact become a quality player that gets traded for a bag of peanuts (aka, a couple of ****ty relievers), let that trade forever curse the moronic front office responsible.
    Last edited by snepp; 02-03-2013 at 05:33 AM.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dozier was left out there too long. It was clear to everybody his approach had changed. When he came up he was fairly patient and took advantage of bad pitches. Hopefully he can adjust get back on track.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad to see he recognized a lot of this... He seemed overwhelmed last season... nice to see he has a good enough head on his shoulders to be able to take a step back and recognize this.

The kid OPSed over .800 in AA two years ago. Here's to hoping he can translate that to the big leagues. It would be nice to have a middle infielder with an above average bat... even if his defense is only average. The 2014/15 team doesn't have a good middle infield prospect. It would be nice if Dozier could hold down one of those spots.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It amazes me how so many people are wrapped up in instant gratification culture, though, and this applies to minor leaguers who arrive at the Show and are written off if they aren't good immediately. There is no way this kind of attitude existed 20+, 10, or even 5 years ago. Technology is warping our expectations in seemingly unrelated areas.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,476 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    It amazes me how so many people are wrapped up in instant gratification culture, though, and this applies to minor leaguers who arrive at the Show and are written off if they aren't good immediately. There is no way this kind of attitude existed 20+, 10, or even 5 years ago. Technology is warping our expectations in seemingly unrelated areas.
    Oh, I think it has always been this way. As long as I can remember, people have written off prospects as bums the moment they began to fail. The Internet has definitely sped up our desire for instant gratification but it has always been there.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries

completely agree. If the internet and blogosphere would have been around when Hank Aaron and Willie Mays and MIckey Mantle and any of history's great players played, people would have realized that they weren't always great, they had slumps, they stuggled. IF may have been worse back when guys like KIllebrew had to spend their teen years in the big leagues rather than develop.

Liked 684 Times in 358 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so want Brian to become the quality, long-term middle infielder that this team has been seeking (ignoring?) for the better part of two decades.

Please Brian, for the sake of all our sanity and all that's good in this world, be a quality player, for multiple years.

And if you do in fact become a quality player that gets traded for a bag of peanuts (aka, a couple of ****ty relievers), let that trade forever curse the moronic front office responsible.
    Thanks, Snepp. Your post is beyond awesome.

Thanks for the article Seth!

I really hope Dozier takes the bull by the horns and is starting in the MI on opening day. I think of our current cast of players he has the offensive upside to help us win games.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that in this case, the fact the many people were iffy about Dozier's prospect stock to begin with plays a part. But yes, fans are generally too quick to jump to conclusions one way or another.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Maybe this is my own misperception, but Twins prospects the past decade or so have generally taken at least one or two years to develop; beyond Mauer, I'm having trouble thinking of one player who produced really well in his rookie year or at a young age.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 02-04-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Maybe this is my own misperception, but Twins prospects the past decade or so have generally taken at least one or two years to develop; beyond Mauer, I'm having trouble thinking of one player who produced really well in his rookie year.
    Liriano and Neshek, but again, they are by far the exceptions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast