Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Keith Law Twins Top 10

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries

Keith Law Twins Top 10

Law's top 100 is out, but he posted organization top 10's today as well, you can find the Twins' here (Insider): American League Central top 10 prospects by team - MLB - ESPN

Jose Berrios, Max Kepler, and Trevor May are the 3 who missed the top 100.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Not a big surprise. I guess I wouldn't have been shocked if he had Berrios behind Kepler or May but it's not really a big problem. May - a top 100 prospect last year and who just threw 150 innings at AA with over 150 strike outs is our #10 prospect. Really, really nice depth.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the "depth" statement. They are looking very good on the farm, and hopefully can add Mark Appel or another top-end-near-ready SP from the 2013 draft to this next year.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Law suggests JO is ready for Fort Myers. That would be atypical for the Twins to do, but interesting.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "This aint you father's Twins system", KLAW says. By this he explains, the system is no longer relying so heavily on college control pitchers with a 45 grade fastball.

He is still a bit skeptical about Berrios' potential to be the frontline starter that many of us hope he could be. Noting his "lack or plane" among other minor things. But he is not ignoring the outstanding pro debut he had last year.

He really likes Kepler and has high hopes for him to be an above average defender in the outfield who can hit for power in the majors.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Berrios at Ft. Myers would be awesome to see but can anyone think of any HS arm who has skipped low A for the Twins? I don't know that they have had any HS starters even pitch only half a season.

If he managed to get on the same trajectory as Sano and Rosario, that arbitration/free agency group could get pricey. If the Twins do manage to hit on a good percentage of these prospects, I hope they don't get too comfortable with their $50-$80 million payroll and forget that they are capable of paying these guys up to a $120 million budget.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they do hit on a high percentage, they will be winning and most likely wont mind a payroll a little over 100m. I'm being optimistic here.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    I'm being optimistic here.
    Are you dying?

:-)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Do you know Joe Mauer's payroll is higher than the Astro team payroll? Fact. At least we are not them. We have a pretty good farm system and our roster isn't the worst ever. Mauer, Morneau and Willingham are at least Major leaguers. The Astros are full of AAAA guys who are playing only because you can't forfeit the season and get the number 1 pick.