Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mason: Can Plouffe Bounce Back?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts

Bounce Back from What?

First real year in the big leagues at a new position, where he hits 24 home runs and we are picking apart the fact that he hit them in a bunch and not so much after an injury? I think the TwinsDaily negativism / pessimism has surfaced again in spades. If the guy is average defensively next year (a reasonable expectation) and posts reasonable offensive numbers based on last year's results (say 18 homers and 75 RBIs), every Twins fan should be thrilled as that would represent the best 3rd base play we've seen since Koskie - with the potential for much improvement.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    If the guy is average defensively next year (a reasonable expectation) and posts reasonable offensive numbers based on last year's results (say 18 homers and 75 RBIs), every Twins fan should be thrilled as that would represent the best 3rd base play we've seen since Koskie - with the potential for much improvement.
    These are all absolutely reasonable. And I'm interested to see if he can do that. The problem? According to Nick's "floor" - you're a pessimist.

Liked 725 Times in 385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tellis205 View Post
    Last year the Twins told Plouffe to come to camp with an OF's glove. He did and that is where he was expecting to play primarily. He played there in addition to 2nd base before they suddenly need a 3rd baseman. Plouffe has played there a few games in the past. In the minor leagues I remember they had him there a little bit. They were always hoping he'd be their SS. But of course we all know what happened there. The good news here is that Plouffe is an excellent athlete. Excellent athlete's adapt. I'm sure he has spent the majority of his off season preparing to play 3rd base just like I'm sure he took alot of fly balls last year thinking he was gonna play RF. My personal opinion is his problem is not physical but mental (lack of focus). But I could be wrong (I'm often wrong). As far as his hitting goes, he's only had 749 MLB at bats. Most players need in excess of 1200 ab's before the light turns on. Of course there's plenty of exceptions to this rule.
    Let's wait and see on Plouffe. The jury is still out.
    I am a big Plouffe fan, but I do think that he needs more focus. I remember a game in Anaheim two years go where Plouffe was playing second base. There was a guy on first and one out. A sharp grounder to the shortstop should have resulted in a double play. But Plouffe touched second and headed toward the dugout. Plouffe thought that there were already 2 outs. The Angels fans mocked him.

I think that Plouffe could hit 40+ home runs and win a gold glove at third base if he could increase his focus.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty excited about the guy. He might be another one of those guys who never turned up on prospect lists but somehow ended up being an above average regular. I'm hoping he can settle in a bit and raise the average while keeping the power... Sano is still a bit too far down, so to be competitive in 2014/15, Plouffe has got to fill a spot.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano isn't a lock to be playing 3b by the time his bat is ready, so I'm hopeful Plouffe can stick around for a little while. Its all about adjustments for him.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12