Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: The Road to Rebuild: Trading Away Assets

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: The Road to Rebuild: Trading Away Assets

Liked 682 Times in 358 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Morneau will be age 30 this June and there are reports that he is finally healthy. Would it make sense to offer him a new contract?

Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Morneau will be age 30 this June and there are reports that he is finally healthy. Would it make sense to offer him a new contract?
    Absolutely. It looks like Miguel Sano will be the next great Twins first baseman, but that's still probably 3 years away. Give Morneau a 2-3 year extension this summer if he's hitting. Justin provides the team a lot more potential for value by being on their roster and healthy than he does in a potential trade.

Willingham makes a lot more sense to be traded, as the team picking him up will be getting a cost controlled slugger for a year and a half. I could see Baltimore being very interested if their season breaks good again this year. Or perhaps Texas, who will likely be in the need for some RH bats once Nellie Cruz gets suspended and or hurt like he does. Heck, they could probably use him already.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,209 Times in 484 Posts
    California math?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    Absolutely. It looks like Miguel Sano will be the next great Twins first baseman, but that's still probably 3 years away. Give Morneau a 2-3 year extension this summer if he's hitting. Justin provides the team a lot more potential for value by being on their roster and healthy than he does in a potential trade.

Willingham makes a lot more sense to be traded, as the team picking him up will be getting a cost controlled slugger for a year and a half. I could see Baltimore being very interested if their season breaks good again this year. Or perhaps Texas, who will likely be in the need for some RH bats once Nellie Cruz gets suspended and or hurt like he does. Heck, they could probably use him already.
    I agree about Willingham. I think this off-season represented his highest trade value. Two years of a power bat at $7 million/year is a screaming value given the contracts given other over-30 OFs like Cody Ross and Shane Victorino. Unfortunately, it appears the off-season dealing is all but over. There are very few obvious trades for Willingham at this stage. So, I am hopeful Willingham is healthy and productive in the first half and brings back a prospect mid-summer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    California math?
    Nope...if it was California math, he'd have written 'Morneau will be age 32'...and he would have gotten the birth month right as well... :-)

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Running a shrewd business demands staying as emotionally neutral as possible. Everyone has their price.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 78 Posts
    It might depend on Parmelee. Specifically, whether he hits and can take over for Morneau at 1B without much of a dropoff, and/or whether he's a wreck in the outfield making him necessarily a 1B. I think there are some moving parts here.

On the other hand, if the Twins aren't willing to commit years to a healthy and productive Morneau, they can always given him a qualifying offer at roughly the same amount they're paying him now. If he comes back, one more year of Morneau; if not, draft pick.

A decision on Morneau is the major move still this offseason. If he looks like he really wants to test the free-agent marketplace, jettison him. You'll get something more now than later, giving another team the opportunity to extend him or make him a qualifying offer. I'm for resigning Morneau to a team friendly 203 year extension with a 4th year option. He can stay a part of the Twins and clearly move into the DH role down-the-line. You don;t develop minor league prospects to DH. Once the season starts, his price becomes $13+ million or nothing.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Double-A chuchadoro's Avatar
    Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
    Maybe if the Twins org made any effort at fielding a competitive team in the near future. The fact that the Twins did nothing to address the disasters that are their rotation and middle infield leads any reasonable person to conclude that the Twins don't concern themselves with such things.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    What is the upper limit for a Morneau extension that we would be willing to live with? LaRouche's recent deal provides some context (LaRoche obtains $10MM in 2013, $12MM in 2014 and a $2MM buyout for a 2015 mutual option).

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 378 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Every offseason there are cheap 1B and DH bats, so I don't like an extension. Also we have paid for enough downtime with the concussions already. If Morneau has a good year, maybe the Twins make a qualifying offer but if he declines then you take the comp pick and let Mauer/Parmelee/Doumit/Plouffe/cheap FA play 1B. This team has enough DH stiffs already. Save the money for skill players who can hit. Or pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    A decision on Morneau is the major move still this offseason. If he looks like he really wants to test the free-agent marketplace, jettison him. You'll get something more now than later, giving another team the opportunity to extend him or make him a qualifying offer. I'm for resigning Morneau to a team friendly 203 year extension with a 4th year option. He can stay a part of the Twins and clearly move into the DH role down-the-line. You don;t develop minor league prospects to DH. Once the season starts, his price becomes $13+ million or nothing.
    Important to note: you can't do the qualifying offer thing to players you acquired mid season.

Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Every offseason there are cheap 1B and DH bats, so I don't like an extension. Also we have paid for enough downtime with the concussions already. If Morneau has a good year, maybe the Twins make a qualifying offer but if he declines then you take the comp pick and let Mauer/Parmelee/Doumit/Plouffe/cheap FA play 1B. This team has enough DH stiffs already. Save the money for skill players who can hit. Or pitching.
    Probably a good route to take, really.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dance with Disco Dan View Post
    I agree about Willingham. I think this off-season represented his highest trade value. Two years of a power bat at $7 million/year is a screaming value given the contracts given other over-30 OFs like Cody Ross and Shane Victorino. Unfortunately, it appears the off-season dealing is all but over. There are very few obvious trades for Willingham at this stage. So, I am hopeful Willingham is healthy and productive in the first half and brings back a prospect mid-summer.
    I disagree a little on the value of Willingham being highest in the offseason. Corner bats were available only for money. Teams would prefee that over giving up prospects.

He should have the same or even more value at the deadline as teams need a final piece. Obviously health is a risk but that is also why his value might be lower right now than we think. Plus he has good value to the Twins right now.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the answer in both cases is they would like to keep them if the price and years are right. Less so with Willingham given the depth in the system in the OF.

Justin's performance after the AS break last year is encouraging by posting numbers close to his career averages before the health issues. However, he is going to be 32 early in the season. If he has a big year this year it won't be the yearly salary that's a problem as much as the number of years he might command. at 32 do you want to commit to more than 2-3 years?

Same goes for Willingham. He's getting to an age where you debate wether it is best for the team to have the caliber of hitter he is now for maybe a year or two more or if you are better trading for some prospects.

The problem with both of these guys could be that they would demand longer term contracts than make sense for a young, up and coming team. I suppose a lot of this will depend on if the Twins are competitive or not this year as well.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    If pitchers and other free agents supposedly will mot sign here, why would Morneau? At some point, he might feel like Torii and Johan did, that Ryan never plays for the present.

Quote Originally Posted by chuchadoro View Post
    Maybe if the Twins org made any effort at fielding a competitive team in the near future. The fact that the Twins did nothing to address the disasters that are their rotation and middle infield leads any reasonable person to conclude that the Twins don't concern themselves with such things.
    The best option in the MI this offseason? Maicer Izturis? Marco Scutaro? Scutaro is 37 and Izturis has 1.5 WAR over the last 2 years. The rest of the FA list looks like crap. If there were great, young options that would fit with the org's timeline of expected comepetitiveness - good, great, grand - EVERYONE ON THE BUS. But there weren't. And this is what a re-build feels like.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If pitchers and other free agents supposedly will mot sign here,
    Supposedly is the key word. If the Twins offer enough money players will sign (and have signed) here.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLA_YANKEE_COLA View Post
    The best option in the MI this offseason? Maicer Izturis? Marco Scutaro? Scutaro is 37 and Izturis has 1.5 WAR over the last 2 years. The rest of the FA list looks like crap. If there were great, young options that would fit with the org's timeline of expected comepetitiveness - good, great, grand - EVERYONE ON THE BUS. But there weren't. And this is what a re-build feels like.
    gee i would be happy with a 0 war, it better then what we had ...average is what we strive for here..at shortstop, why ? because it an improvment...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast