Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Chris Parmelee

Chris Parmelee

It is fairly amazing to me how low everyones expectations are. If you throw out the beginning of 2012, when he made the team without a role and predictably struggled in part time play this guy has been nothing short of EXCELLENT in his last 400 ab's. 228 of them in AAA and 170 in the majors.

2011 Parm gets called up for September after a great growth season in AA where he increased his OPS by 70 points and hit for more power and drew more walks.

He proceeds to hit 355/443/592 with a 13% BB and 15% K. That is nothing short of exceptional.

Once he got sent back to AAA last year (with no prior time in AAA) he absolutely raked in his 228 AB. Many of you dont know that on a per AB sample he was easily the best hitter in the international league last year. Lets put this into context.

AAA line was 338/457/645 good for a .1102 OPS. In 2012 and 2011 combined the highest OPS for any international league player was .930 and these were all by older journeyman players who have had tons of AAA time, not a guy in his first exposure to AAA.

After getting called back up in the 2h of last year Parm held his own is his 92 AB. 272/302/478. Good power but didnt control the plate like he did in AAA and his prior MLB stint in 2011.

Im expecting Parm to post something along a .270/330/440 line this year in his first real extended exposure to major league pitching. For a guy who is expected to hit 7th or 8th anything approaching an .800 OPS is very very good.

This team is going to hit if they stay healthy. Pitching and defense, is another matter however.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Hope you're right about him. A .770 OPS would be above avg for a AL RF.

He also appears to be an acceptable fielder in his limited OF duty.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 79 Posts
    His fielding did look acceptable (that's a good word for it; he's not gonna cause any Ben Revere-style Bertgasms).

I was pretty blown away by his AAA stats last year too, but I'm trying to temper my expectations because we don't know for sure whether he'll put it together. To be honest though, I would not be terribly surprised to see him turn into an above-average MLB regular.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
    I can't get excited by September numbers. And calling his defense acceptable is probably being generous.

He still might end up OK and is an acceptable guy in the 6/7 slot to start the season. I do hope they give him 500 abs.

Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's gotta hit in the majors... He certainly did it in AAA...

It's his time... Right here... Right now... I hope he is confident and dialed in... I think he will be... I really think Parmelee and Plouffe will increase our Power output this year. Maybe 50 dingers between them.

Is it April yet!!! Let's Go!!!

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,238 Times in 492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    And calling his defense acceptable is probably being generous.
    How about reasonably acceptable?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,199 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't get excited by September numbers. And calling his defense acceptable is probably being generous.
    "Acceptable" and "adequate" are code words for "below average". Are you saying this is generous and he'll be worse than that, as in Delmon's comedy stylings? If he makes the routine plays (go a bit for the fly balls in a way Willingham doesn't dare, but never lay out 100% and earn a web-gem) and if runners don't go wild on his arm, he can be "acceptable" and not hurt the team, can't he?

I never said that, I think his defense will be pretty bad in RF. The good news is he has to play RF for about 50% of 1 year for the rest of his career so I could really care less about his defense in RF for the first 60-80 games of the season.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    How about reasonably acceptable?
    I can get behind that.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,238 Times in 492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I can get behind that.
    Reasonably behind?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    "Acceptable" and "adequate" are code words for "below average". Are you saying this is generous and he'll be worse than that, as in Delmon's comedy stylings? If he makes the routine plays (go a bit for the fly balls in a way Willingham doesn't dare, but never lay out 100% and earn a web-gem) and if runners don't go wild on his arm, he can be "acceptable" and not hurt the team, can't he?
    I think a slightly better version than Willingham sounds about right.
    Papers...business papers.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel about Parmelee the same way I feel about Plouffe. Former first round picks trending up as they enter their primes. I have high expectations for both. Parmelee hasn't shown as much in the majors yet, but his playing time has been sporadic. I'm excited to see what he can do with a cozy regular gig.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what Parmelee and Plouffe can do with 500-600 at bats as well. If Parmelee provides a .770 OPS, how does his future look as a 1B rather than a RF? Should he be the placeholder for Sano, or should they attempt to re-up with Morneau? I just don't see Sano as an everyday 3B in the majors. Hope I'm wrong.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 745 Times in 461 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll be a bit disappointed if Parm only has a .770 OPS in his rookie campaign. I'm hoping he can crack .800... but to answer your question silver, .770 or .800, that's going to earn him a shot at 1st for the forseable future. There's too many guys in the OF in the high minors for the Twins to leave him there. He'll be a placeholder for Sano only if he never improves on whatever he does this year. But given what he's done in the minors the last few years, Parm has the chance to be a very good regular.

As for Morneau, I kind of hope he signs a deal to stay in MN and rotates with Parm at 1B/DH. The 2015 team is going to be lacking a DH, so having Morneau around isn't a bad option. I suspect that he's going to get traded at the deadline, but I still really want him to finish his career in MN.