Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heyman: Twins Have Interest in Brignac

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    Maybe we should sign Brandon Wood as well? Again I would take him I just wouldn't give up any sort of asset for him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    What about Jemile Weeks? Lost in the A's trade for Jed Lowrie last week was the realization that it likely took a job away from Weeks. He's a year removed from a great rookie campaign. Last year was brutal, but he seemed to fall on some hard luck as he only managed a .256 BABIP. He's 26 but only has 2 years of service time I don't much like the idea of trading with Billy Beane but I have not been impressed with his moves this year and Weeks value is surely down. Trading for Lowrie doesn't speak much for the team's future with Weeks, Lowrie still isn't a free agent until 2015.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He can't hit AT ALL. The answer is no. We have enough scrubs of equal or better value.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
    I just wonder if an organization like the Rays can't squeeze anything more out of him than what they did....why should we expect much better? If he had a skillset of some kind clearly better than what we already have - sure. I guess I just see him as redundant with the other garbage we have. I'd toss him a crappy offer but I wouldn't make any kind of serious investment in him.

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Actually, outside of last year, Brignac has been a better offensive player than Florimon in the minors. His career minor league OPS (a dubious statistic, I know) is nearly 100 points better than Florimon's.
    +1. High minors difference in OPS is pretty substantial. Top 50-ish prospect not that long ago. We're talking about Pedro Florimon here, for pete's sake. Take a shot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I just wonder if an organization like the Rays can't squeeze anything more out of him than what they did....why should we expect much better? If he had a skillset of some kind clearly better than what we already have - sure. I guess I just see him as redundant with the other garbage we have. I'd toss him a crappy offer but I wouldn't make any kind of serious investment in him.
    Yeah, I'm not on board for anything significant, but maybe a little more than a simple minor league offer ($150k?) to get him into camp and see if he's got anything. He apparently was thought to have upside not that long ago, and Florimon/Escobar will likely be getting 500 ABs this year. I'm all for a move that could prevent that total from getting that high. If nothing else it's another handful of bullPunto to throw against the wall.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think most teams would take Brignac over Florimon. We will see if he passes through waivers as Florimon did last year. The Twins must see elite defensive value in Florimon that other teams do not see. Of the three, Escobar has the better reputation defensively. Though it is unlikely that any of the three will be a long time regular, Brignac has the best chance to combine moderate offense with an above average glove. Escobar has a chance to have a Nick Punto type career. I think we can be certain that Florimon will combine a great arm with some flashy plays, numerous mistakes and infrequent success at the plate. That is his long term track record and he is a little old to become a prospect now.

Liked 307 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Middle infielders seem to get hurt more often than other position players, so another live body couldn't hurt, at least in ST.. Carroll will be 39 in 10 days, Dozier struggled, and Flori/esco don't have enough talent combined to make one decent infielder. Whether you address it with Brignac or not, I'd say there's a depth issue there.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BSP View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to Brignac? He was a top 100 prospect for years and has seemingly dropped off a cliff, even in the minors last year.
    He had one lucky season in high A ball, that's what happened to him.

Brignac isn't really that bad, especially compared to the dregs the Twins will give at bats to, but let's forget the "Top 100 Prospect" BS. His 2010 season might be a realistic goal, and that would crush what the Twins should expect to get from 3/4 of their infielders this season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Dregs. I'm gonna start using that more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12