Thread: Mauer's Ability to Call a Game

Mauer's Ability to Call a Game

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but why isn't there more talk of how valuable Mauer's ability to call a game has affected the Twins the last two years? The pitching staff the last two seasons wasn't drastically different than other years in which they were successful (albeit they did have an injury epidemic two years ago), which seems largely attributable to not having Mauer behind the plate calling more games.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Either that or significantly less talent on the pitching staff.
    Papers...business papers.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I almost wonder if there's been some evidence of the opposite. Mauer seems, at times, out of tune with his pitchers. We've seen multiple guys ask for Butera as their personal catcher the last few years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I almost wonder if there's been some evidence of the opposite. Mauer seems, at times, out of tune with his pitchers. We've seen multiple guys ask for Butera as their personal catcher the last few years.
    I think the situations you mention is why they brought Steinbach on board.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Easy, the game is called from the dugout. Watch closely and you will see Mauer constantly turning to the dugout before giving the sign. The Twins are a strong disciple of systemic control, and this is just another feature.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Either that or significantly less talent on the pitching staff.
    My thought also on the subject.

Is there going to be a thread started next about Mauer's ability to throw out base runners soon? Not sure if anyone can defend the fact that he is below average. But, all people would have to do is use the line "that the pitchers are not keeping the runners in check. Come on people what should we expect for $23M?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    I think the situations you mention is why they brought Steinbach on board.
    Good point.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Mauer hasn't been healthy ernough to catch alot of games, don't worry he will get it back with more work, but does he have to, his bat does the talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Easy, the game is called from the dugout. Watch closely and you will see Mauer constantly turning to the dugout before giving the sign. The Twins are a strong disciple of systemic control, and this is just another feature.
    Kwak, you're absolutely wrong. Twins constantly talk about how Mauer likes to call the game himself. I WISH the dugout was calling the game. I still pray that they take the pitch calling AWAY from him. Often when there are guys on base, the field calls from Jerry White are what Mauer gets to view. What you need to look closely at is if there's a coach in the dugout giving signs. Nope. Try again Kwaker.

Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Is there going to be a thread started next about Mauer's ability to throw out base runners soon?
    I talked this up a bit in one of the other posts. His footwork has gone downhill every year, especially on blocking. If you notice his footwork from catching to throwing is incredibly worse. Now tag-team that along with worse pitchers for getting runners out. Spells disaster.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 192 Times in 110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haddyz View Post
    Kwak, you're absolutely wrong. Twins constantly talk about how Mauer likes to call the game himself. I WISH the dugout was calling the game. I still pray that they take the pitch calling AWAY from him. Often when there are guys on base, the field calls from Jerry White are what Mauer gets to view. What you need to look closely at is if there's a coach in the dugout giving signs. Nope. Try again Kwaker.
    Haddyz do you have any facts to backup your criticism or only your personal observations?

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 329 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haddyz View Post
    I talked this up a bit in one of the other posts. His footwork has gone downhill every year, especially on blocking. If you notice his footwork from catching to throwing is incredibly worse. Now tag-team that along with worse pitchers for getting runners out. Spells disaster.
    At least you're not prone to hyperbole.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    All of our catchers call their own games. What you are referring to is pitch outs. Our dugout calls them, so you'll see the catcher look to the dugout then.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    With spring training coming up the Twins should try Mauer at 3b and 2b, the Twins have no need of ofers and 1b men. He is not a 30hr guy and it would strength Twins infield and one less weak hitter on Twins bench. Mauer is fine as a catcher, just the wear.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Mauer does just fine calling the game. I don't think he was ever as good as some people think at it but he is still above average. It's also hard to look good when you have a bunch of noodle-armed no talents throwing to you.