Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Saunders

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Guys, will anyone group with me?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    "Consolidate in 2013" Exactly what was consolidated? Two new OFers with no assurance that any of them (including Willingham) will be there in 2015 (the "compete year"). Of the MLB-experienced pitchers acquired this off-season only one is anticipated to be in the rotation in 2015. This would increase the planned players to two. The entire INF could be changed for 2015. Flux would be a closer description for 2013 than consolidate.
    "Movement in 2014"--this statement is vague. In a Polyanna-ish view it means a repeat of the 2001 season. It could also mean when the FO expels the rest of the feces from the Active Roster, or anything in-betweenthe two statements.
    "Compete in 2015"--we all hope that this occurs, but the 2012 season and its' off-season make this more of a wish than an expectation.

Not signing Saunders "clears a path" for the Twins to give Blackburn another shot--Nishioka got one last year--and Blackburn had demonstrated some success in years past, as opposed to you-know-who.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    You can contend whatever you'd like. I guess I'll just have to bask in the wisdom of criticizing people whose post you don't agree with because they were criticizing a post they don't agree with. I mean, if you're ok with ridiculous hypocrisy and all.
    pot meets kettle once again

Liked 686 Times in 359 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am willing to group with anyone who is a fellow Twins fan, but I wish that there was more baseball talk and less bickering.

I was hoping for Saunders, but life goes on and it may turn out that we are better off without him.

Liked 2,183 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I am willing to group with anyone who is a fellow Twins fan, but I wish that there was more baseball talk and less bickering.

I was hoping for Saunders, but life goes on and it may turn out that we are better off without him.
    Glunn... You are in my group. I'm getting Shirts made and everything.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 606 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    pot meets kettle once again
    Well, except for the fact that I could care less about people criticizing each other. It's a message board, it's rather silly to suggest people should ignore everything they disagree with. If that's your bit, you're probably at the wrong place.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    "Consolidate in 2013" Exactly what was consolidated? Two new OFers with no assurance that any of them (including Willingham) will be there in 2015 (the "compete year"). Of the MLB-experienced pitchers acquired this off-season only one is anticipated to be in the rotation in 2015. This would increase the planned players to two. The entire INF could be changed for 2015. Flux would be a closer description for 2013 than consolidate.
    "Movement in 2014"--this statement is vague. In a Polyanna-ish view it means a repeat of the 2001 season. It could also mean when the FO expels the rest of the feces from the Active Roster, or anything in-betweenthe two statements.
    "Compete in 2015"--we all hope that this occurs, but the 2012 season and its' off-season make this more of a wish than an expectation.

Not signing Saunders "clears a path" for the Twins to give Blackburn another shot--Nishioka got one last year--and Blackburn had demonstrated some success in years past, as opposed to you-know-who.
    By consolidate I mean trying to find out exactly what you have in Plouffe, Dozier, Parmelee, Hendriks, Benson, Diamond, Worley and seeing if they can be a part of the future. Start to break in the next wave of Gibson, Hicks, possibly Arcia/May/Meyer. Potentially trade Willingham, Morneau, maybe Perkins or Burton.

By movement in 2014 I mean sorting out the above and starting to make a legitimate jump in the standings to the 80s in wins. Might have to sign an actual free agent or make a trade if some of the people listed above flop. Arica/May/Meyer/(maybe first round pick this year) should start to be a part of the squad and potentially Sano if he truly is a beast.

Competition in 2015 is all of this coming together, especially the pitching.

I concede this is a little optimistic but I still see it as a reasonable outcome. If everything falls apart this year and none of those players prove they can be big leaguers, it will be a much longer rebuild.
    Papers...business papers.

You never have enough pitching.

For all the want of giving Blackburn another shot, he is still going to be delayed with an injury and not on the 40-man. If he returns, someone has to go. Same if you add any of the group of Walters, Deduno, Vasquez, Elarton and especially Harden.

Right now it looks like the Twins MAY start the season with Diamond and Swarzak on the DL.

We won't know the state of Gibson and Pelfrey until the season begins.

est, but is a Pressly or a Wood or a Roeincke anything more than a spot holder on a roster that a (forgive me) Capps, Rauch or even Hawkins would fill for the same price, but with more experience.

Overall, I dream about rebuilding a team from within, but go look at the Twins draft cycles and see how many actually make an impact. More impact is made via adding players by trading veterans, it often seems. And you do have to dip into the free agent pool when able.

Target Field was going to make the Twins able to dip into the Free Agent pool as well as keep their own players (i.e. overpay for future performance).
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Well, except for the fact that I could care less about people criticizing each other. It's a message board, it's rather silly to suggest people should ignore everything they disagree with. If that's your bit, you're probably at the wrong place.
    You"could care less" yet will not let the matter drop

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    You never have enough pitching.

For all the want of giving Blackburn another shot, he is still going to be delayed with an injury and not on the 40-man. If he returns, someone has to go. Same if you add any of the group of Walters, Deduno, Vasquez, Elarton and especially Harden.
    Right now it looks like the Twins MAY start the season with Diamond and Swarzak on the DL.

We won't know the state of Gibson and Pelfrey until the season begins.

est, but is a Pressly or a Wood or a Roeincke anything more than a spot holder on a roster that a (forgive me) Capps, Rauch or even Hawkins would fill for the same price, but with more experience.

Overall, I dream about rebuilding a team from within, but go look at the Twins draft cycles and see how many actually make an impact. More impact is made via adding players by trading veterans, it often seems. And you do have to dip into the free agent pool when able.

Target Field was going to make the Twins able to dip into the Free Agent pool as well as keep their own players (i.e. overpay for future performance).
    No! No pitchers will be put on the DL at all this year, especially in April!!

Seriously though, I think the is the more realist approach that is kind of the line where optimists and pessimists are falling on each side of the fence. I agree with you. I'm not sold that all the guys slated to start the year in the rotation will stay off the DL to start the year, which is why depth is indeed a wonderful thing. If only the depth was composed of more competent major league pitching. My gut feeling is out of diamond, Worley, pelfrey, and Gibson, at least one is not in the opening day rotation (most likely Gibson). Then there's the Swarzak and Blackburn injuries to consider.

edit. Just saw the diamond article maybe not being ready. Well super.
    Last edited by edavis0308; 02-09-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    You"could care less" yet will not let the matter drop
    Reading comprehension. I understand that message boards come with criticism of ideas and disagreements. This growing trend of posters not liking that people are criticizing positions they disagree with is akin to someone running into a mall, arms flailing, and telling people that this isn't the place to exchange money for goods and services.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    **** I miss BYTO

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,175 Times in 624 Posts
    The board has been discussing Saunders for quite some time and the merits of signing him or not, this thread began with the news of his signing with the Mariners and subsequently evolved with various opinions on whether it was good or bad for the team, whether it mattered or not, why it mattered, how it represented a further failure and dishonesty from our FO and a host of other viewpoints.

Then along comes Twerp, who had no opinion on the issue but does have one about people who are disappointed and disallusioned by yet another lost opportunity, and procedes to call them "the worst type of human being", so just a negative opinion on negative opinions. What exactly did the post contribute to the original subject?

So, who began the bickering? Who decided to make things personal and insult people who are unhappy about it and somehow decide they are less than fans? Yet somehow the people who then respond to this garbage are the bad guys. If all those decrying the response to Twerps comments have such high standards for this board then let's at least direct the displeasure in the appropriate place.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reading comprehension. I understand that message boards come with criticism of ideas and disagreements. This growing trend of posters not liking that people are criticizing positions they disagree with is akin to someone running into a mall, arms flailing, and telling people that this isn't the place to exchange money for goods and services.
    You keep generalizing this group "people criticizing positions they disagree with" but really it seems like the only one getting into bickering matches on every thread is you, and it's because of the tone with which you choose to engage people. Fans come to a message board for an exchange of ideas; most do not come to have their thoughts labeled as "insane nonsense" or to be told they have no reading comprehension. It is possible to disagree with people without using such insulting and condescending verbiage. Your points are generally quite reasonable so I don't know why you constantly feel the need to shroud them in contention.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anyway... baseball!

Liked 686 Times in 359 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Anyway... baseball!
    Amen.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    As far as Saunders go, it would have been nice to have him, but going much more then 1/7 mil on him wouldn't be a very good move IMO. (Yes, Yes I know we have 20 mil left) but there is never a good reason to over pay greatly for mediocrity. It's clear Saunders preferred to play for the Mariners who have (had) a pitchers park and actually appear like they can contend this year. Sure the Twins could have came in and gave him 1 year 9-10 mil to get him in Minnesota but I think that ends up hurting them in the long run as it sort of skews the market prices for pitchers heading into 2014 (if that makes sense?)

At this point, let's roll with what we have, I am sure there will be some more waiver pick ups, cuts in spring training that we can bring in as wlel. For some reason when expectations are at an all time low this team defies them, its when expectations are sky high they break our heart. Let's see what we got this year, maybe we can surprise folks, maybe we suck, either way gear up for a nice run in 2014-2016 when guys like Meyer, Arcia, May, Hicks, an co are all coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    "people criticizing positions they disagree with" .
    Before your uppity sermon...did you read the thread? Twerp's post and the subsequent lectures by "Wise One" are the problem. This seems like a petty way to take a high-and-mighty stance after your inane posts in the Plouffe thread. Hope it made you feel better, but it was quite hollow.

And as twinsnorth suggested, you're now directing this at me because of your own bad blood rather than at the real culprit in this thread. Which seems like it is becoming more and more prevalent. Other than Bonnes recent little poem-play - anyone with pessimism who is attacked you look the other way. Any time someone with optimism is attacked you come riding in with this high and mighty crap. The vibe around here is essentially that you and others are endorsing unfair criticism on people not feeling good aobut this season and are quick to give these lectures to anyone who responds.

Talk about condescending.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Before your uppity sermon...did you read the thread? Twerp's post and the subsequent lectures by "Wise One" are the problem. This seems like a petty way to take a high-and-mighty stance after your inane posts in the Plouffe thread. Hope it made you feel better, but it was quite hollow.

And as twinsnorth suggested, you're now directing this at me because of your own bad blood rather than at the real culprit in this thread. Which seems like it is becoming more and more prevalent. Other than Bonnes recent little poem-play - anyone with pessimism who is attacked you look the other way. Any time someone with optimism is attacked you come riding in with this high and mighty crap. The vibe around here is essentially that you and others are endorsing unfair criticism on people not feeling good aobut this season and are quick to give these lectures to anyone who responds.

Talk about condescending.

It's like in football...the guy who takes the shot first, gets away with it.

Or, you know, maybe it's a matter of ignoring the person who takes the first shot because they agree with what he said (regardless of how he said it..and in Twerps case, extremely, over-the-top rude...deserving of getting completely slammed) and instead criticizing the people who take offense to such an offensive childish post.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Guys, will anyone group with me?
    Will you bring the beer?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast