Thread: Saunders

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Saunders

Mariners. One year deal. Mlbtr.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anything on the dollars? He must have determined that he had a better chance to build value next year with the Mariners. He sat on the Twins offer for a few weeks.

Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Can't wait for the same old arguments to fly about how the Twins could of had__________________ for only ___ million. If he signs cheaply for Seattle I hope the Twins leak what their offer was. Perhaps they could do it through Thyrlos' source

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    No dollar amount yet.

my guess is we never actually made a formal offer (ok not really)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    im guessing his 2 year 15 million dollar deal was a hoax ...

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's all good. We're already set, with Correia, Pelfrey, and Co. We have it on good authority from Twins brain wizards so powerful that even their vaguest impressions and wildest guesses are more accurate than mountains of empirical evidence. The bald guy said that, so it must be true.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Oh well, there's plenty of other mediocre lefties in the sea. (Well not really)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Mission accomplished! Three (new!?) pitchers and an $80MM budget to start the season.

Dang...I was hopeful that the Twins would go after Saunders for a chance to keep Correia out of the roster...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    According to mlbtrrumors, "The short commitment will allow Saunders to build value at pitcher-friendly Safeco Field and look for a multiyear deal again next winter."

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Yea, but they still have payroll flexibility....so that's still goodness.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We made Saunders a one year offer. This is another case of a pitcher just not wanting to come here.
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gernzy what was the $$ we offered?

dollars and years

there are two parts to that

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,308 Times in 704 Posts
    It's just too damn cold.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Probably wanted 2 years to come here. Also Seattle is looked at as being better than the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Also Seattle is looked at as being better than the Twins.
    Justin Upton begs to differ

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Disappointing, but the Twins said all along that they just didn't feel he was interested in pitching for them. Maybe climate or chance to contend. Maybe wanted to pitch for a team that trains near his home in AZ. Who knows? All of that could certainly be overcome with an offer that blows all others away and the Twins obviously have the money to do that, but while I like Saunders more than most people around here, even I can't really argue convincingly that he's worth going overboard with an offer to get. Would have been nice to have another lefty in the rotation, though.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's one source reporting the deal is a one year contract in the $5-7 million range, with an "option year", but no report of whose option or if there's a significant buyout if the team has the option.

At any rate, it's safe to assume that Seattle gave Saunders the impression they have money and aspirations, since they extended Felix for 5 years to the tune of $135 million within hours of signing JoeJoe.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    There's one source reporting the deal is a one year contract in the $5-7 million range, with an "option year", but no report of whose option or if there's a significant buyout if the team has the option.

At any rate, it's safe to assume that Seattle gave Saunders the impression they have money and aspirations, since they extended Felix for 5 years to the tune of $135 million within hours of signing JoeJoe.
    Since everywhere else reports that Hernandez to a 175 million dollar contract I would really doubt your source, given your reporting of the Hernandez contract.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Since everywhere else reports that Hernandez to a 175 million dollar contract I would really doubt your source, given your reporting of the Hernandez contract.
    The reports is he's getting paid 20M the next two seasons...so add that to the 5 year extension, and it's 175M over 7 years...

''Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported that an anonymous source who was "familiar with the contract details" indicated a deal would be finalized before Spring Training that would make Hernandez the highest-paid pitcher in Major League history with an average annual contract value of $25 million.

Mariners pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to camp Tuesday in Peoria, Ariz.

Hernandez is already scheduled to make $19.5 million this coming season and $20 million in 2014 in the final two years of a five-year, $78 million contract he signed in 2010.

Nightengale's report said the new deal would replace the final two years of that contract and extend for another five years.'
    Last edited by ThePuck; 02-08-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast