Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Christopher Dorner

  1. #1
    Senior Member Triple-A luke829's Avatar
    Posts
    316
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Christopher Dorner

    It's like having a real life version of John Rambo (in black form)
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

  2. #2
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,502
    Like
    2,276
    Liked 290 Times in 162 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I just read his manifesto.

    I hope that the LAPD is not as bad as he alleges. But I also think that his allegations should be thoroughly investigated.

    Rambo just wanted to be left alone. This guy is threatening tens of members of the LAPD and their families. I don't remember anything like this ever happening before -- in some ways he is like a comic book super-villain. And the cops are so freaked out that they shot people in a vehicle just because it was similar to Dorner's vehicle. This is from CNN:

    "In Torrance, LAPD officers guarding one of Dorner's alleged targets mistakenly opened fire on a blue pickup truck that resembled one Dorner was thought to be driving, said Los Angeles police Chief Charlie Beck. The gunfire left two people wounded, Beck said. Torrance police also fired on another blue pickup, but no one was injured in that incident, according to a senior law enforcement source."


    If there is significant truth in what Dorner has alleged, then some may see him as a hero. If the LAPD is indeed tolerating police brutality and racism, then some good may come of his actions, if the media finds abuses and they are addressed. But, even if the LAPD is rotten to the core, I would worry about future waves of vigilantes if Dorner is treated as a martyr.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,755
    Like
    131
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    The ends don't ever justify the means, well, as long as anyone wants to keep up the pretense of being 'good'.

  4. #4
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,502
    Like
    2,276
    Liked 290 Times in 162 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    The ends don't ever justify the means, well, as long as anyone wants to keep up the pretense of being 'good'.
    I agree that the ends do not generally justify the means. But given sufficient provocation, I believe that there may be exceptions.

    For example, what about someone who is wrongfully imprisoned for life in a foreign country who kills an abusive guard in order to escape? Or a black man who is on death row in Georgia in the 1950's for a crime that he did not commit?

    I would also note that there are a lot of fictional works where "anti-heroes" are celebrated -- "Dirty Harry", the "Punisher" and "Rorschach" of the Watchmen come to mind, not to mention Rambo in the first movie, where he killed law enforcement officers who were corrupt. I also remember seeing "Mandingo" in 1975 at a theater in an African American part of town. During the first half of the movie, the white people did bad things to the black people and there were boos. Then the black people (justifiably) did bad things to the white people and the crowd went wild.

    I am uncomfortable with this whole situation. I was here for the Rodney King riots when LAPD ran and hid and I hope that nothing like that happens here.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A luke829's Avatar
    Posts
    316
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I just read his manifesto.

    I hope that the LAPD is not as bad as he alleges. But I also think that his allegations should be thoroughly investigated.

    Rambo just wanted to be left alone. This guy is threatening tens of members of the LAPD and their families. I don't remember anything like this ever happening before -- in some ways he is like a comic book super-villain. And the cops are so freaked out that they shot people in a vehicle just because it was similar to Dorner's vehicle. This is from CNN:

    "In Torrance, LAPD officers guarding one of Dorner's alleged targets mistakenly opened fire on a blue pickup truck that resembled one Dorner was thought to be driving, said Los Angeles police Chief Charlie Beck. The gunfire left two people wounded, Beck said. Torrance police also fired on another blue pickup, but no one was injured in that incident, according to a senior law enforcement source."


    If there is significant truth in what Dorner has alleged, then some may see him as a hero. If the LAPD is indeed tolerating police brutality and racism, then some good may come of his actions, if the media finds abuses and they are addressed. But, even if the LAPD is rotten to the core, I would worry about future waves of vigilantes if Dorner is treated as a martyr.
    What's most disturbing is how all of these "nut jobs" seem to be feeding off of one another's misdeeds (as you pointed out in your last sentence). Whether that is a right assessment or not on my part, it just seems too much of a coincidence that we've had three high profile cases in such a short amount of time (Newtown, Dykes, and now this idiot). The more the media hypes up these incidents, the more likely that some other sicko will pop up out of the woodwork to try and out do the other.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

  6. #6
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,502
    Like
    2,276
    Liked 290 Times in 162 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by luke829 View Post
    What's most disturbing is how all of these "nut jobs" seem to be feeding off of one another's misdeeds (as you pointed out in your last sentence). Whether that is a right assessment or not on my part, it just seems too much of a coincidence that we've had three high profile cases in such a short amount of time (Newtown, Dykes, and now this idiot). The more the media hypes up these incidents, the more likely that some other sicko will pop up out of the woodwork to try and out do the other.
    I agree. And there seems to be an endless supply of people who are willing to die to make their points.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Triple-A luke829's Avatar
    Posts
    316
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    On a related note, this development is sure to add some "intrigue" to the entire episode:

    Charlie Sheen to Christopher Dorner, ex-LAPD officer-turned-accused cop killer: ?Call me? | The Lookout - Yahoo! News
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

  8. #8
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,502
    Like
    2,276
    Liked 290 Times in 162 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by luke829 View Post
    On a related note, this development is sure to add some "intrigue" to the entire episode:

    Charlie Sheen to Christopher Dorner, ex-LAPD officer-turned-accused cop killer: ?Call me? | The Lookout - Yahoo! News
    I was out looking at real estate today -- all over Los Angeles. Normally I would see at least a few police cars per hour. Today I saw none.

    If Charlie can get this guy to surrender peacefully, then that will be a good thing.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,916
    Like
    990
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Or a black man who is on death row in Georgia in the 2010's for a crime that he did not commit?
    FTFY, brother.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Triple-A luke829's Avatar
    Posts
    316
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Latest reports have him surrounded in a cabin near Big Bear Lake. I'll guess we'll find out if he intends to carry out the rhetoric spewed forth in his manifesto.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,755
    Like
    131
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    And the cabin is on fire.

  12. #12

  13. #13
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,502
    Like
    2,276
    Liked 290 Times in 162 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    FTFY, brother.
    I referred to the 1950's in my post, because I am pretty certain that in the 1950's that was happening a lot. I would hope that it's no longer happening, my brother, but I don't know.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.