Thread: Chrome or Firefox

Chrome or Firefox

Which one and why?

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Chrome loads faster for me on most sites and uses less memory. It also seems less invasive to me.

Chrome seems faster to open and load. I also like how I can type, for instance, r, enter, and it goes to reader.google.com. I really only have a handful of sites I visit so all it needs is the first letter or two and it's instantly loading popular URLs.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 786 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Chrome loads faster for me on most sites and uses less memory. It also seems less invasive to me.
    Actually, Chrome is pretty invasive. With that said, I don't care about invasiveness much. It's really overblown. So what if Google targets ads to you more accurately? Hell, that's a good thing, IMO.

Both browsers are good. I use Chrome because it's a little faster, uses a bit less memory, and its UI is preferable to FF (though FF basically uses the same UI with its newer versions).

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chrome sucks a dick. Not really, I'm just pissed about it. It is noticeably faster and I love the apps and such. I feel like FF has better ad-ons and ability to customize. Also, Chrome not having Adobe's convert to PDF really kills it for me. I constantly have to convert web pages and print them for work because I work with on-line databases through another company. Converting to PDF allows me to save/print for proof on my timecards. Working in wind is weird. Anyway, Chrome can't do it for some reason. Also, Chrome has this weird bug on my computer that when I sign in to facebook it likes and follows a bunch of weird ****. It is only on Chrome and it happened on both my laptops. I can't explain it. Changed my password like 5 times and it still happens so I don't use Chrome anymore. Also, the drop down bar with FF I use constantly.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Also, Chrome not having Adobe's convert to PDF really kills it for me. I constantly have to convert web pages and print them for work because I work with on-line databases through another company.
    There will always be small advantages to one or the other. Most never convert to PDF. On the other hand, I use Chrome's Inspect Element all day, every day to look at page code. Firefox requires a plug-in that isn't nearly as good as what Chrome has out of the box. It's important to me but 99% of people don't care.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
    What, no votes for IE?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Ice Dragon all the way.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Having used both Chrome and Firefox myself, I preferred Firefox. While not the fastest, all of the extra add-ons were pretty neat (such as the "No-Script" function)
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 627 Times in 242 Posts
    Chrome is nice, but I don't like how Google does things.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I don't like how Google does things.
    Oh. Explain, you opaque huckster.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Oh. Explain, you opaque huckster.
    Google's entire corporate mission is to use you, your preferences, and your habits and turn you into an ad revenue generating machine for the company. From Android to Google Docs to Gmail to Search, this is their sole mission.

That doesn't really bother me. The better ads are targeted to me, the less I will be annoyed by them. But I can see how that strategy bothers other people.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 627 Times in 242 Posts
    That, and they obnoxiously leave behind their updater service even after uninstalling their software. It's a slimy practice and it pisses me off.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 811 Times in 502 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Google's entire corporate mission is to use you, your preferences, and your habits and turn you into an ad revenue generating machine for the company. From Android to Google Docs to Gmail to Search, this is their sole mission.

That doesn't really bother me. The better ads are targeted to me, the less I will be annoyed by them. But I can see how that strategy bothers other people.
    Yeah, I really don't need ads targeted specifically for me. My shoe addiction is hard enough without getting hit by shoe ads from every place on the planet.

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The irritating thing is I have Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome on my work computer because I have to use all three for different functions. If only someone could invent a browser that worked with everything!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    The irritating thing is I have Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome on my work computer because I have to use all three for different functions. If only someone could invent a browser that worked with everything!
    In 2013, that's Chrome. Every web dev I know starts building for Chrome and then checks compatibility with IE/FF afterward.

You're probably working with older software that hasn't been updated for awhile. There isn't a good reason for software not to run on Chrome nowadays, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    In 2013, that's Chrome. Every web dev I know starts building for Chrome and then checks compatibility with IE/FF afterward.

You're probably working with older software that hasn't been updated for awhile. There isn't a good reason for software not to run on Chrome nowadays, really.
    Microsoft's Remote Web Connection doesn't work with Chrome or Firefox, or Mac users for that matter. I use that program for a lot of things.