Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Tony Campana

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

Tony Campana

...DFA'd by the Cubs. Campana (LH) was the only player in the MLB that had more SBs per AB than Mastroianni. Could he be someone the Twins add to platoon with Mastro (RH)? At least until Hicks is ready...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Question Tony Campana CF?

I just read that the Chicago Cubs designated outfielder Tony Campana for assignment. I would rather see the Twins sign him than Scott Podsednik. He could split time in CF with Darin Mastroianni until Aaron Hicks can prove he deserves a call up.

Campana's main asset is his speed as he led the Cubs last year 30 stolen bases, the ninth best total in the National League. The 26-year-old finished 2012 with a slash line of .264/.308/.299 in 192 plate appearances.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good, cheap short-term fix, assuming the Twins go north with 13 pitchers, wouldn't they have to keep Butera temporarily down at Roc. (like last year) to make room for Campana?

Also, this guy likes taking a BB about as much as Revere did, which means practically never.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    And I thought Revere didn't have any power, Campana makes even him look Ruthian.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    There was no thread started when I began my thread. Otherwise I would have never started one. I wanted to check out his minor league numbers before I posted my thread. So sue me twinsnorth49 for making a thread.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They need a fourth OF. If Hicks or Benson make the team, Mastroianni is the 4th OF. Otherwise, the role appears wide open without an option that looks much better than Campana.

Brandon Boggs is old, hasn't hit and has been predominantly a LF in majors. Last year he was a RF in minors.
    Wilkin Ramirez is barely a LF. He is not a real option for a 4th OF.
    We saw Clete Thomas last year. Of the three here, he has the most recent experience in CF though his major league experience in mostly at a corner.

If Hicks is not ready, I think the Twins will find a waiver wire guy. They probably have already identified a few guys that will likely be DFA'd by their teams.
    Last edited by jorgenswest; 02-10-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thread suggests that most of you don't think Benson has much of chance to make the team out of spring training. I wonder if this is true. Last year he was pretty bad, but before that he has mostly been more highly regarded than Parmalee. So what do think, Benson has no real chance to begin the year in the majors, or he makes the team if Hicks does not?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Pass on Campana, Mastrionni can be the 4th OF and Benson/Hicks will compete for the starting job.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    The 26-year-old finished 2012 with a slash line of .264/.308/.299 in 192 plate appearances.
    One Butera is enough. I'd rather see the Twins give Hicks/Benson/Arcia chances to win jobs this ST. If they bomb, they can send them to AAA and have enough internal options for a bench OF bat like Wilkin Ramirez.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    This thread suggests that most of you don't think Benson has much of chance to make the team out of spring training. I wonder if this is true. Last year he was pretty bad, but before that he has mostly been more highly regarded than Parmalee. So what do think, Benson has no real chance to begin the year in the majors, or he makes the team if Hicks does not?
    Most importantly, it appears that the front office has not given up hope in Benson. If he does get a chance, his skills probably don't match a lead off hitter as well as Hicks or even Mastroianni.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Most importantly, it appears that the front office has not given up hope in Benson. If he does get a chance, his skills probably don't match a lead off hitter as well as Hicks or even Mastroianni.
    Well, somebody has to lead off and if Benson wins the CF job, they might just as well give it a shot. He'd probably be like Gladden.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    He'd probably be like Gladden.
    If that's the case, let's hope he's never teammates with Lombo Jr. Could get ugly.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    If that's the case, let's hope he's never teammates with Lombo Jr. Could get ugly.
    That could sell some tickets.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Well, somebody has to lead off and if Benson wins the CF job, they might just as well give it a shot. He'd probably be like Gladden.
    Unlike Hicks, Benson does not take as many pitches. A quality you would expect from a lead off hitter. Batting in the top of the lineup would be asking him to do something he doesn't do as well. I don't see a similar skill set to Gladden. Benson, if he progresses, is likely to be a low average hitter with some power and strikeouts.