Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 145

Thread: More Proof that the Twins Just Don't Care or Aren't Trying Very Hard

  1. #21
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    492
    Like
    3
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Teams are known to cut players when they find something more intriguing, Martinez has a higher level of experience and AAA success.
    Well, obviously the Twins do not find him intriguing as they have passed on him twice.

  2. #22
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,112
    Like
    369
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    This isn't proof. This is supposition at best. (Not a pejorative).
    Who said anything about proof? Parmellee tore the cover off the ball in his 2011 September call-up from AA and struggled in 2012 (.229/.290/.380). The evidence fairly convincingly suggests that the jump from AA to the majors is rarely a smooth one. Even if Herrmann tears the cover off the ball this spring, are you suggesting that he is somehow odds-on favorite to be on the opening day roster?

  3. #23
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,112
    Like
    369
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    Well, obviously the Twins do not find him intriguing as they have passed on him twice.
    Yeah, I implied that in the opening post. I would like to know why they won't address a bench that threatens to conceivably hit below .600 OPS and factor in a chance to add positional depth pending a possible trade or injury to their current DH/C.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Yeah, I implied that in the opening post. I would like to know why they won't address a bench that threatens to conceivably hit below .600 OPS and factor in a chance to add positional depth pending a possible trade or injury to their current DH/C.
    Are you insinuating that somehow the Twins need MORE catchers added to the mix?

  5. #25
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,112
    Like
    369
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Are you insinuating that somehow the Twins need MORE catchers added to the mix?
    Fish or cut bait. I would also hope that the Twins would listen to offers to improve the club at every position. Right now, Butera still is an unacceptable major league ballplayer, Hermann is at least a half a year away, Mauer has to be limited to maximize the value of his contract and Doumit is a potential asset to improve the club via trade.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-10-2013 at 06:45 PM.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Fish or cut bait. I would also hope that the Twins would listen to offers to improve the club at every position. Right now, Butera still is an unacceptable major league ballplayer, Hermann is at least a half a year away and Doumit is a potential asset to improve the club via trade.
    1.) They paid Butera. Nobody else will take on that money for him. He's a Twin for the season.
    2.) Herrmann could fill in as a backup catcher in a pinch. More minors ABs would be optimal, but worse comes to worse, he'd be serviceable in limited, third-catcher ABs.
    3.) Are you saying that they should try and trade Doumit NOW? If it happens, it'll be possibly near the trade deadline, and guess who has had another "half a year" in the minors by that point?

    We're aware that Butera sucks, but the Twins have committed to him, and screaming that they should bring in a marginal-at-best upgrade just for the sake of bring in a marginal-at-best upgrade is pointless.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    492
    Like
    3
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Fish or cut bait. I would also hope that the Twins would listen to offers to improve the club at every position. Right now, Butera still is an unacceptable major league ballplayer, Hermann is at least a half a year away, Mauer has to be limited to maximize the value of his contract and Doumit is a potential asset to improve the club via trade.
    Doumit as trade bait would not happen unless some had a couple of catchers go down early or near the traade deadline. At the trade deadline Hermann would have a half year at AAA.
    Others have stated the PCL is a hitters league with smaller parks, so his batting numbers may not translate well to mlb level. That would be a hint why he has been DFA'd twice.

  8. #28
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,112
    Like
    369
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Are you insinuating that somehow the Twins need MORE catchers added to the mix?
    That's 4 catchers right there with question marks about how much time they will/should serve behind the plate. Their 2 other rostered catchers haven't progressed far enough up through the organization to offer immediate or certain levels of contribution. That's now 6 question marks.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    That's 4 catchers right there with question marks about how much time they will/should serve behind the plate. Their 2 other rostered catchers haven't progressed far enough up through the organization to offer immediate or certain levels of contribution. That's now 6 question marks.
    So bring in a 7th question mark, and a 6th catcher on the 40-man? Sounds like excellent usage of roster spots.

  10. #30
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,786
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    That's 4 catchers right there with question marks about how much time they will/should serve behind the plate. Their 2 other rostered catchers haven't progressed far enough up through the organization to offer immediate or certain levels of contribution. That's now 6 question marks.
    Seriously. Frankly. (And I do severely dislike Butera's scholarship)

    Catching was not what made the Twins lose 99 plus 96. (matter of fact C, and LF were the only 2 positions that the Twins had OPS higher than the AL average last season)

    Bigger. Fish. To Fry.
    (and they have not fried them yet.)
    So getting a better 5th Catcher for a 96-loss team, would be like putting lipstick on a cement yard ornament pig
    Last edited by Thrylos; 02-10-2013 at 07:08 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  11. #31
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    492
    Like
    3
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Who said anything about proof? ?
    you did in the title of your rant.

  12. #32
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,112
    Like
    369
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    Doumit as trade bait would not happen unless some had a couple of catchers go down early or near the traade deadline. At the trade deadline Hermann would have a half year at AAA.
    Others have stated the PCL is a hitters league with smaller parks, so his batting numbers may not translate well to mlb level. That would be a hint why he has been DFA'd twice.

    You also have to look at the DHs in baseball. Doumit is one of the better ones and has potential value at not one, but 2 positions (not the best catcher, I know). The Rays are rumored to have Roberts on the block, and Rodriguez may be expendable as well, and have an iffy DH coming off of injury, that's but one example. If they or someone else is willing to consider a Spring Training trade, given the Twins holes in the infield, shouldn't the Twins be listening now, and be prepared to move seamlessly? If they wait until the deadline? Herrmann may be ready at the break, but then again, he may not. Good to have backup alternatives, yes?

    Regarding Martinez's hitting, do you read the posts? I got the hint, as I pointed out that his AAA numbers were in the PCL, but they still translate far better than what the Twins currently have behind Doumit and Mauer for 2012. Is there anyone that doubts that Butera couldn't put up those kind of numbers in the PCL?

  13. #33
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,112
    Like
    369
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    you did in the title of your rant.
    Different point than what I believe the poster was arguing against.

    You can continue to defend what the the club has done in the offseason. I am looking at a club that addressed the most pressing need haphazardly from the rejection pile and the Red Cross casualty list, failed to address glaring problems in the infield and tore itself some new holes in the OF. Since they are rebuilding without admitting it publicly, it makes sense to have a plan in place to continue to improve the club by trading off assets that won't be a part of the finished rebuilt product in whatever year they secretly deem to be when they "really" return to competitiveness- Butera shouldn't be there now, let alone then and if they have any sense at all, Doumit probably won't be there, either. Martinez was acquirable for nothing and could have provided short-term depth to help make the team more stomachable during this bridge time and at least send the message that 9 shades below mediocrity as a hitting catcher is no longer acceptable, the spots should be earned, not deemed.

  14. #34
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,112
    Like
    369
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Seriously. Frankly. (And I do severely dislike Butera's scholarship)

    Catching was not what made the Twins lose 99 plus 96. (matter of fact C, and LF were the only 2 positions that the Twins had OPS higher than the AL average last season)

    Bigger. Fish. To Fry.
    (and they have not fried them yet.)
    So getting a better 5th Catcher for a 96-loss team, would be like putting lipstick on a cement yard ornament pig
    Don't you see trade-value in Doumit, provided he puts up numbers akin to 2012, to upgrade the team longer-term?

  15. #35
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,112
    Like
    369
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    So bring in a 7th question mark, and a 6th catcher on the 40-man? Sounds like excellent usage of roster spots.
    Obviously, someone, or someones, are expendable, or in Doumit's case, possibly tradeable.

  16. #36
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    579
    Like
    6
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Are the other 28 teams also not trying? They also passed on claiming this guy. I understand if you do not agree with what the twins do but to headline a forum with "not trying" is absurd. Even philly fans are not this negative.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Obviously, someone, or someones, are expendable, or in Doumit's case, possibly tradeable.
    So your response to "We have too many question marks at catcher!" is "We need to bring in more question marks at catcher!"

  18. #38
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    711
    Like
    81
    Liked 252 Times in 144 Posts
    You can never have too much catching.

    They should invite 34 of them to camp.

  19. #39
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Don't you see trade-value in Doumit, provided he puts up numbers akin to 2012, to upgrade the team longer-term?
    So where the **** does yet another catcher go until Doumit hypothetically gets traded later this summer? Carry 4 catchers at AAA? Yet again, awesome roster composition.

  20. #40
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,112
    Like
    369
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    1.) They paid Butera. Nobody else will take on that money for him. He's a Twin for the season.
    2.) Herrmann could fill in as a backup catcher in a pinch. More minors ABs would be optimal, but worse comes to worse, he'd be serviceable in limited, third-catcher ABs.
    3.) Are you saying that they should try and trade Doumit NOW? If it happens, it'll be possibly near the trade deadline, and guess who has had another "half a year" in the minors by that point?

    We're aware that Butera sucks, but the Twins have committed to him, and screaming that they should bring in a marginal-at-best upgrade just for the sake of bring in a marginal-at-best upgrade is pointless.
    1) As many have pointed out in the discussion of money management, the 700K committed to Butera is chump change. You are correct, no one else will take on that money, you can use him at the major league level or Rochester. That the Twins were willing to re-sign him and give him a raise demonstrates that the Twins aren't trying very hard to send the message about improvements.

    2) You again answered your own point about the downside and potential pitfalls in calling up and relying on someone too soon. Herrmann would best benefit getting as many PAs and caught games as possible, not riding the Twins bench.

    3) The Rays are reported to be shopping Ryan Roberts, now. Sean Rodriguez has been demoted to a utility role and the Rays have a young prospect biting at the bit. This is but one team's scenario at bolstering the Twins infield.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-11-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.