Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Olt for Buxton

Mike Olt for Buxton

Would you do it? Texas doesn't need him, and we do.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure we can do it until Buxton has been signed for a year. No reason to discuss until we get there. Views of both players will change as they play this year.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    can't
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Why would Texas make this trade? It would seem to be a non-starter from their perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I am not sure we can do it until Buxton has been signed for a year. No reason to discuss until we get there. Views of both players will change as they play this year.
    Even if Buxton could be traded, I wouldn't do it. He's too valuable for the future of the Twins organization, and there's no reason to believe Olt can actually help this year.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Olt at what position? Third? Let's see if Plouffe can play before we give up on him. As for Olt at first (when Morneau is traded), they have Parmalee and other options.

I don't think Olt is a great fit.....Now, if you want to trade Rosario and Morneau and 2 other prospects for Profar, I'm interested in that.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Nope. I wouldn't trade Buxton for anyone minus a top line starter like Dylan Bundy (of course the Orioles wouldn't take that deal but that is what I would need to get rid of Buxton).

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can't do it until Buxton has signed for a year. The Rangers would never do that anyway. They would be dumb to not just work Olt in this year, spelling Beltre at times and whoever is actually DHing for them. Otherwise if Beltre goes down and they have nothing to replace him it would really hurt their chances.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Nope. I wouldn't trade Buxton for anyone minus a top line starter like Dylan Bundy (of course the Orioles wouldn't take that deal but that is what I would need to get rid of Buxton).
    This... No way.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't quite get the love some people have for toolsy guys that far down. Setting aside the obvious 1 year rule, I'd trade Buxton for Olt in a heart beat, simply because Olt has the tools and has thus far lived up to the expectations *** full disclaimer, I would have drafted Gausman, Zimmer, or Appel ahead of Buxton as well***

Now that being said, the Twins have Plouffe at 3rd presently, and while he's a question mark, unless there's a plan to move him to 2nd should he succeed there, I don't know why Olt would be on the Twins' aquisition list. The Twins should be looking to get a middle infielder or another pitcher, not for a guy who could be potentially blocked and has a very highly rated heir apparent not that far behind him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agree with Seth, no way. Buxton is way too valuable. Outside of the 1 year rule.

Beltre is under contract through 2015 with a vesting option for 2016, and Texas has already shown they were willing to move Olt when they were in discussions for Upton. Sano will probably have to move to a corner outfield spot before getting up to Minnesota, so we don't have a great realistic 3B of the future unless Plouffe figures things out. Buxton might have a high ceiling, but he is still a prospect that might not pan out---Olt appears to be a MLB ready 3B. Even better, Plouffe could return to SS or go to 2B---perhaps he was cured of Chuck Knoblauch Syndrome during his first full year, and he won't make so many throwing errors from SS this time around.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Texas would surely be looking for someone who could help them now or very soon if they were to move Olt. To move Buxton for Olt, it would probably have to be some kind of multi-player move like Buxton and Morneau for Olt and Perez. Still unlikely either team would be interested.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Post-Concussive Blues View Post
    Beltre is under contract through 2015 with a vesting option for 2016, and Texas has already shown they were willing to move Olt when they were in discussions for Upton. Sano will probably have to move to a corner outfield spot before getting up to Minnesota, so we don't have a great realistic 3B of the future unless Plouffe figures things out. Buxton might have a high ceiling, but he is still a prospect that might not pan out---Olt appears to be a MLB ready 3B. Even better, Plouffe could return to SS or go to 2B---perhaps he was cured of Chuck Knoblauch Syndrome during his first full year, and he won't make so many throwing errors from SS this time around.
    It looks to me like Texas isn't real confident that Olt can stick at third base. His defense there has been pretty bad and he's been playing more outfield and first base.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    It looks to me like Texas isn't real confident that Olt can stick at third base. His defense there has been pretty bad and he's been playing more outfield and first base.

He played way, way more 3B than anywhere else last season in the minors and he hasn't played much 3B in the majors cause of Beltre.

He only played 3 games in the OF last year while in the minors, and 13 games at 1B. 78 games at 3B. They may have decided to make him a 1B cause Beltre is gonna be at 3B for awhile and likely aren't sold on their 1B.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know anything about Olt specifically, but Buxton seems like he is getting overrated a bit. True, he was the #2 overall pick, and a consensus one at that, but he seemed a bit "generic" as far as top draft prospects go (no really super-plus tools) and his rookie league debut, while not unimpressive, wasn't really impressive either. In a hypothetical world where he could be traded right now, I'd have to think long and hard about a deal like this, particularly if my scouts/coaches had developed any pessimism about him since the draft.

Obviously 2013 is a big year to see if he can transition from potential to production.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I don't know anything about Olt specifically, but Buxton seems like he is getting overrated a bit. True, he was the #2 overall pick, and a consensus one at that, but he seemed a bit "generic" as far as top draft prospects go (no really super-plus tools).
    This would be true if you don't count speed or throwing arm. And defense is really close as well.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I don't know anything about Olt specifically, but Buxton seems like he is getting overrated a bit. True, he was the #2 overall pick, and a consensus one at that, but he seemed a bit "generic" as far as top draft prospects go (no really super-plus tools) and his rookie league debut, while not unimpressive, wasn't really impressive either. In a hypothetical world where he could be traded right now, I'd have to think long and hard about a deal like this, particularly if my scouts/coaches had developed any pessimism about him since the draft.

Obviously 2013 is a big year to see if he can transition from potential to production.
    But he does have some super-plus tools. His speed is off the charts anywhere from 70-80 I've seen. He is faster than Revere. Only that skinny kid from Cinci is faster (his name aludes me for the moment). With Buxton you know that he will someday give you elite defense in center. Sure, you don't know whether his hit or power tool will fully develop, but I would say he is a high ceiling high floor guy. The value of a 3rd or 2nd baseman like Olt is not as high as an everyday centerfielder. Also, his arm is has a chance to be a super-tool as he threw 95 off the mound. In conclusion, he may have 3 fully developed tools RIGHT NOW: Arm, Glove, Speed.

I would not trade a guy with Micheal Bourn as a floor and Matt Kemp or beyond ceiling for a (albeit top notch) 3rd/2nd baseman prospect near the bigs.
    (Full Disclosure: I am a huge Buxton fan)
    Last edited by Twins Twerp; 02-11-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's this kind of trade-happy attitude keeps teams from having long-term, continuos success. People want to dump every successful guy on the Major League roster as soon as they can for prospects, and then turn around and trade the prospects for quick fixes at a higher level.

If we made this trade, how long before someone starts hollering that we should flip Olt for somebody else ASAP?

Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    It's this kind of trade-happy attitude keeps teams from having long-term, continuos success. People want to dump every successful guy on the Major League roster as soon as they can for prospects, and then turn around and trade the prospects for quick fixes at a higher level.

If we made this trade, how long before someone starts hollering that we should flip Olt for somebody else ASAP?
    Olt would still be under team control for a long time, helping us start to contend in 2014-15 when our pitching prospects start to hit the big leagues, while Mauer is hopefully still and excellent catcher and not just a DH/1B. If we wait for Buxton to make a run, I am not sure which veterans we will have left. I don't think it is a "trade-happy attitude", but possibly a shrewd move to get our young talented players in sync.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast