@sethtweets
    Liked 376 Times in 199 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: TD Twins Top Prospects: #5 Alex Meyer

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Once again Seth, excellent article.
    Sure have high hopes for this guy. Would be great to have a pitcher who we feel confident that there is a good chance to win the game everytime he takes the mound.
    2013 should tell us a lot about him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I am excited about Meyer, but the point about needing patience should be concerning. Meyer is after all a Boras client, so an extension that gives the Twins a couple extra years is unlikely. If the Randy Johnson model is comparable, he'll likely walk for a large contract after his first standout year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice to read an article with a positive tone. This guy has huge upside, and its kind of weird to be talking about him as only the #5 prospect.

Regardless of any stats or quotes or anything else, the surest proof of Meyer's legitimacy is that he was traded straight up for Span.

Here's hoping this article can generate 4 pages of posts. If a negative nabob post about a AAAA waiver wire catcher can, this one sure should.

Great article.

I also love his upside but am nervous what early success would mean with Boras as his agent. Can't imagine he would be a Twin for long..

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Han Joelo View Post
    Here's hoping this article can generate 4 pages of posts. If a negative nabob post about a AAAA waiver wire catcher can, this one sure should.
    Wouldn't that be nice to see on a positive article?

Seth--once again great article. For me Meyer is the key to this offseason--he could be a Twins ace for the long-term that we havent had since the 90s. Nats fans here didnt like losing him (even for Span) and now feel worse with the Gio issues in the latest drug scandal.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Reading a lot of Nationals' sites/articles, it's a very mixed bag on the trade. Some like it, others despite it and think it was crazy to give up Meyer for Span. It's the same with Twins sites. It's all about potential, and Meyer has incredible potential.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Thanks Seth, appreciated this report. When I first heard of the trade, I immediately thought a right handed Randy Johnson. Remember commenting on that over at TT. Looked up Johnson's numbers at same age/level. It is scarry how similar they were and if my memory is correct, Meyer was actually a bit better.

I also think the Twins know a lot about this young man as they certainly have scouted UK a lot with all the players they have from there over the recent past. Was Albers also still there when Myer was a frosh?

I wounldn't worry a lot about the Boras relationship. Assuming they bring him up during the season they will have him for at least 6+ years. You all can worry about that in 2021!
    Last edited by roger; 02-11-2013 at 12:57 PM.

I really thought it was a win-win trade for both teams. The Twins got much needed pitching depth and the nationals got their CF. Obviously we're gonna miss Span but trading away an area of strength for an area of need was a great move by the front office

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Meyer is the #2 or #3 prospect for the Twins.

Banned Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't wait to watch a Twins rotation led by Meyer and Berrios. I'm not sure that May will ever have good enough control for the Twins standards and I think he probably ends up a late inning reliever.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    > After developing a lot in college

Basically just a quibble, but I don't believe Meyer developed in such an unusual way that going from a 20th rounder as a high schooler to 1st round after college is out of the norm. He would surely have developed a lot had he signed the first time. Teams often use their late-round draft picks to go for high schoolers they expect will turn down any pro offer at that time, for the chance to offer him a good bonus and see if his mind changes. If somehow they could have put a gun to his head, a team might very well have drafted him in the 1st round that time too. I know you know all this (and probably more ), so as I said I am just quibbling about how you presented it in case a more casual reader came across it. Oh, and with the new bonus slotting rules that started last year, I guess we'll see less of this in the late rounds and more of it around round 10 or so?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Wouldn't that be nice to see on a positive article?
    I'm no fan of unrelenting negativity, but this is apples-to-oranges. That other article was "could the team go this one way, instead of the other". This one is "this guy sure looks good". Not much to say in response except "yup yup, he sure looks good." Well, maybe someone will bang his stick on the ground that they never should have traded Span, or that the trade should have netted them Dylan Bundy, but this is one of those rare instances of near unanimous opinion that they needed to trade from strength for pitching prospects not yet ready for the majors.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Yup, yup, good trade. I agree with the above, how do you get four pages out of an article like this? I suppose we could argue the ranking......that is probably the only point of controversy.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I'm no fan of unrelenting negativity, but this is apples-to-oranges. That other article was "could the team go this one way, instead of the other". This one is "this guy sure looks good". Not much to say in response except "yup yup, he sure looks good." Well, maybe someone will bang his stick on the ground that they never should have traded Span, or that the trade should have netted them Dylan Bundy, but this is one of those rare instances of near unanimous opinion that they needed to trade from strength for pitching prospects not yet ready for the majors.
    He really struggled early in college both with pitching and control, but also in terms of maturity and such. By the time he left Kentucky, he actually had pretty decent control and pitches that looked to be pretty dominant.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure it's just a sign of shifting from "getting old" to "being old," but ever since their arrival, I've found myself having trouble keeping straight which is which of Meyer and May. Between them coming in similar fashion at almost the same time, having kinda sorta similar last names, the fact that everyone seems to want to put an 's' at the end of both of them...etc, almost every time I see one of them referred to, I have to take a moment or two to really think about which one it is. I am hopeful that I get to look forward to this confusion being relevant for the next decade or so.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He really struggled early in college both with pitching and control, but also in terms of maturity and such. By the time he left Kentucky, he actually had pretty decent control and pitches that looked to be pretty dominant.
    Perhaps the Twins should be offing a contract to the Kentucky pitching coach then

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    I don't think that the agent factors in as much on a player that is in the minors and you control when he comes up. As much as i would like to see him pitch, a couple years in the minors makes a lot of sense. Hopefully June 2015. Good trade for both teams

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
    He is one guy that I am willing to be patient on. I would like to see him start in AA and then see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast