Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: TD Twins Top Prospects: #5 Alex Meyer

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    only time will tell if this was a good trade. for this year???...... unless span doesn't play at all..... i guess meyer will lose round one. paralyzed by hope is a common condition.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Wow, what a great draft position the Twins will have in 2013 and 2014! Without the run production of Denard Span, the team's run total may well decline by 30 or 40 runs. Aaron Hicks may prove to be a better defensive CF, but his inexperience with major league pitching will probably result in a frustrating year at the plate.

Meanwhile, the Nationals will enjoy the services of a top-tier lead off hitter, and one of the most efficient, reliable center fielders in the game. Denard Span doesn't have a great arm, but what arm he's got he uses to best effect by getting himself into good position and making sure he's moving forward into the play. Span's professional attitude can only help the development of Bryce Harper, and his ability to get on base will provide plenty of opportunities to score runs for his new team.

Alex Meyer looks like a good prospect, and the signature he drew on my baseball looked very nice. However, Denard Span looks a lot more like sure thing, which is why I'm sure the Nationals jumped on this deal. I think I might just spend more time watching the Nationals this season than the Twins.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Frankly, getting Meyer on board, along with May, Gibson doing what he did last season, and Sano/Buxton being there, along with some other minor leaguers I want to check out, plus wanting to see Rich Harden pitch is what makes me really excited about this Spring Training.

One thing that has to be noted: Alex Meyer has the same grand total of pro seasons as Jose Berrios or Byron Buxton have under their belt: One. Still a lot of way to go and that way is up.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    Alex Meyer looks like a good prospect, and the signature he drew on my baseball looked very nice. However, Denard Span looks a lot more like sure thing.
    Denard Span was the second best CF in the Twins last season. He had an ok career with the Twins (when he did not fall asleep on the bases). He is one of those Twins who were better in the Dome than outside (check his numbers). The Twins sold high on someone that they had a lot of, and got something that did not have much of... Hicks/Benson/Buxton will be better than Span. Heck, Mastroianni might be able to do what Span did last year this year.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

It was a great trade for the Twins. Yes, we lost a great player, but we have – at least the chance – to have a #1 starter in a couple years. And the Nats get the leadoff player and CF they needed.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Re: AAAA catcher thread, I can't believe I wasted my time getting to page 5.

Thanks for the article Seth. Meyer may only have one season in the minors, but it's pretty crazy to compare him to Berrios and Buxton (23 vs 18?). His college experience means something. I realize this is aggressive, but I'd like to see Meyer have a great year in AA and possibly get a September cup of coffee. I know it's more likely in 2014, but a guy can dream. Pitchers and Catchers, baby!!!

As far as I can tell there is only one thing not to like about this guy- hs agent Scott Boras.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why is everyone so worried about Boras? He is a good agent but he'll sign a market contract.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    Thanks for the article Seth. Meyer may only have one season in the minors, but it's pretty crazy to compare him to Berrios and Buxton (23 vs 18?). His college experience means something. I realize this is aggressive, but I'd like to see Meyer have a great year in AA and possibly get a September cup of coffee. I know it's more likely in 2014, but a guy can dream. Pitchers and Catchers, baby!!!
    I don't think that's an unrealistic dream at all. That said, he doesn't need to be added to the 40 man roster until after the 2014 season, so unless he's fully ready, it doesn't really make sense to add him in September and use a spot that someone else could take. That's the reason I would think 2014 is more likely. But like you said, if he pitches great and shows he's ready and they know they won't use an option, then by all means, it could happen.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Why is everyone so worried about Boras? He is a good agent but he'll sign a market contract.
    Correct, but what he is very unlikely to do is sign a multi-year deal until Meyer is a free agent. That may prove beneficial to the Twins if he were to get hurt, but his clients typically go year to year to maximize their value.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Correct, but what he is very unlikely to do is sign a multi-year deal until Meyer is a free agent. That may prove beneficial to the Twins if he were to get hurt, but his clients typically go year to year to maximize their value.
    Actually recent history would suggest otherwise. Boras will do the first contract during arb years for a market rate. Especially for pitchers.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Dave Cameron at fan graphs listed it as one of the worst moves of the offseason.
    9. The Twins trade Denard Span for Alex Meyer.

This trade ranked as my favorite off-season move from Washington’s perspective, and I’ll reiterate what I said about the trade last week: +3 win outfielders under team control for three seasons at a total of $21 million are worth far more than one low-level pitching prospect. If this was the market for Span, then the Twins simply should have kept him, allowed him to continue to show that he’s over his concussion issues, and marketed him as trade bait at mid-season, when contenders pay marked up prices to get talent for the stretch run. Meyer might turn into something special, so it’s not like this deal couldn’t work out for Minnesota, but Span wasn’t so expensive that the Twins couldn’t keep him, nor was he reaching a point in his career where he ceased to be useful to a rebuilding team. The fact that the Twins kept Josh Willingham, the oldest of their three outfielders, and shipped out the two younger center field options makes the decision even more curious.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 02-12-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The Twins may decide to go the Oakland route: develop a young pitcher, keep him for 3-4 years while his salary is low, then trade him for multiple young pitchers. That strategy accomplishes the following: builds a pipeline of quality young pitching, builds a rotation comprised of young, lower salaried, less injury-prone, and easy-to-trade pitchers. Result: lower payroll, fewer pitchers requiring surgery, and less disruption of the rotation from the major league team down through the top minor league teams. A reasonable explanation of how Oakland can win a division on a tiny payroll.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He also said it was the best trade

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Dave Cameron at fan graphs listed it as one of the worst moves of the offseason.
    ...from the nats side. Tells me that the twins believe Meyer is no ordinary prospect--his ceiling is elite ace. Still, he's just a prospect.
    When I buy a powerball ticket on occasion, I don't check if its a winner til well after the drawing. It feels good to have hope.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    Re: AAAA catcher thread, I can't believe I wasted my time getting to page 5.

With one season under his belt, I highly doubt it. He doesn't have to be added to the 40 man for several more years. He could go Strasburg on AA and still likely start 2014 in Rochester.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12