Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reid Brignac

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries

Reid Brignac

Saw on the main page someone said Twins are interested. I would love a move like this.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    what are his good points? Specifically, when you look at his age, his offensive or defensive numbers, is he any better than Dozier or Carroll, or even Florimon?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    what are his good points? Specifically, when you look at his age, his offensive or defensive numbers, is he any better than Dozier or Carroll, or even Florimon?
    His only real value is he can probably be signed cheaply... can play a lot of positions... and would be organizational filler. Perhaps it's worth it if he accepts a spring training invite and is willing to play in Rochester if he can't hack it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't his status as a prospect as he moved through the minors give him slightly better odds that he will be a useful major league player? His performance at the major league level is not good, but he still is far short of 1000 plate appearances. A change of scenery has helped others in he past.

I wouldn't bet on him. I would bet that he will have a longer major league career as a SS than Florimon or Dozier.

Blog Entries
    Maybe. At least getting a guy like him with some actual talent the Twins would be doing a low-risk move to add some depth to the MI. I don't like Florimon very much. I don't think he would see the light of day on many MLB teams. At least Brignac has had some success. This is the slash stats for SS in 2012 for the Twins 597 AB's .226/.277/.303..... tell me that isn't an unbelievable stat. In 2011 OPS of .612, 2010 OPS of .692 (traded away for bucket of balls). So yes, I think Brignac has a chance to be better than what we have. I'm not looking for him to post an OPS of .700 even, just .650 would be better than what we've seen the past 2 seasons.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Dozier is capable of a .650-.670. Brignac has been pretty terrible. I'm not a Florimon guy either, but I don't think Brignac is any better at this point.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brignac has had sucess in the minor leagues. Would not cost us much as a utility infielder, may be better than Escobar or Floriman. Could hold position for a year or two until the minor leagues arrive.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Twins really need a shortstop that they can put out there nearly everyday, who can at least catch the ball and make all the routine plays. Neither Florimon or Dozier or really Carroll either, showed that they can be that kind of shortstop last year. Apparently the Twins feel that either Florimon or Dozier can be good enough or we would of seen someone like Brignac sooner than now. I guess I wouldn't mind them adding Brignac, I think he probably is good enough to make all the routine plays. I don't imagine he will hit much better than Florimon, though.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 291 Times in 156 Posts
    I think if you're going to bring in Brainiac to play short it would be a good idea to sign Mister Mxyzptlk to play second.
    Last edited by crarko; 02-11-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    I don't imagine he will hit much better than Florimon, though.
    Brignac career minor league OPS .771 Florimon career minor league OPS .675. I have a pretty good feeling Brignac can hit better than Florimon. He also has about the same range factor and a slightly better fielding %. He might not turn out any better, but if you're going to scrap heap to find starting pitching competition might as well do it for the most inept position on your team as well.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It wouldn't hurt to sign him to a minor league deal but I see very limited upside there. I also think people are forgetting how good Dozier was in the field last year. His glove wasn't the problem, it was his bat. Still, he's the only guy, including Brignac, with any real promise of posting something within earshot of a respectable triple slash line. Even for a 9 hitter.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Stats say he may not be worth it... Twins Depth at the positions he can play suggest he may be worth it.

If they sign him... Welcome aboard.

He just brings different flaws to the equation than Dozier, Carroll or Florimon. We know Dozier and Carroll don't have the defensive tools to be anything more than a stopgap at shortstop. We know Florimon is a threat to be not quite as good as Rey Ordonez with the stick. If things go right, Brignac could do both of these things. Or neither of them. But it wouldn't cost too much to give him a utility gig or the starting shortstop job in Rochester and find out.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why do I feel like Seth would have more patience with Brignac if he was a Twins prospect? Guy's still only 27.

Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I also think people are forgetting how good Dozier was in the field last year. His glove wasn't the problem, it was his bat.
    By my recollection (and his own admission, I think), both were problems.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Too me, the key thing here is what do the Twins want to do with Dozier? If they view him as more of a 2B, well then bring in Brignac and let him compete with Florimon. Since the Twins don't really have either a starting SS or 2B at this point, I wouldn't mind seeing one more guy in camp. Now all of this assumes that the Twins view Escobar as a utility man or perhaps a guy who needs more minor league time.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    The main plus for Brignac is that he's not named Dozier, Carroll, Florimon, or Escobar, so when one or more of those guys flounder an adjustment can be made.

Who is going to be the Twins shortstop at AAA?

Liked 1,067 Times in 477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    . I also think people are forgetting how good Dozier was in the field last year. His glove wasn't the problem, it was his bat.
    Yeah...that's just not accurate.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    By my recollection (and his own admission, I think), both were problems.
    He seemed to get derailed a bit when they went to Cleveland, started playing balls in between hops. Too many errors like that but also there were some borderline brilliant plays mixed in, particularly to his backhand side. Even if his true talent with the glove is less than Florimon's, Florimon is no Brendan Ryan. I suspect we are talking a few runs difference one way or the other, over a full season. To me its a no brainer, go with the better bat.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If, as rumored, Houston wants him tbe Twins would have to give something up to get him. Would anyone here give up something of value for Brignac? Probably a relief arm not on the 40 man.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    If, as rumored, Houston wants him tbe Twins would have to give something up to get him. Would anyone here give up something of value for Brignac? Probably a relief arm not on the 40 man.
    Nothing more then a PTBNL or cash considerations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast