Thread: Christensen: Twins might look outside of organization for utility help

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Christensen: Twins might look outside of organization for utility help

According to the Star Tribune's Joe Christensen, Twins general manager Terry Ryan said that the team will be looking outside to find a utility player. Christensen speculates that Tampa might be a good trade partner for them:

Meanwhile, Ryan acknowledged the Twins might have to look outside the organization for a utility player. One potential fit is Tampa Bay's Elliot Johnson, who is out of minor league options and stuck in a potential logjam behind Sean Rodriguez and Reid Brignac.
    I don't know what this says Sean Burroughs, Mike Holliman or Pedro Florimon, who have been speculated as the Twins primary options right now. Johnson's been a bit of a whiff machine in the minors (2.5-to-1 K-to-BB ratio) as well as his limited time in the majors. So don't expect too much from his bat. What he does possess is the ability "pick it" at short and second, potentially giving the Twins a true "defense first" type play off the bench.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that they have enough "defense-first" guys in the organization that it would be better for the Twins to try and find someone who is a little more on the offensive side, and a little less on the defense.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I don't see them keeping any of the current options on the roster for the futility spot. Florimon has the outside chance.

I expect some sort of trip through the bargain basement will occur.

Can't say I'm surprised or too bummed. Was hoping the club would use that top waiver spot a bit more judiciously though.
    Follow me on Twitter: @brandon_warne (drop me a line and I'll follow back)
    Check out the Minnesota Baseball Writer's Alliance Facebook page!
    Finally, GO TWINS!

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Was hoping the club would use that top waiver spot a bit more judiciously though.
    That's a good point. I wonder if MLBTradeRumors has put together a list of potential spring training waiver candidates. Would be good to see what the Twins options could be.

Liked 1,214 Times in 551 Posts
    Seems to me they should be looking for starting middle infielders before worrying about backups.

Sounds like Ryan and Gardenhire are trying to find some decent trade-bait to get Punto back.