Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 92

Thread: Re: Mauer's Contract

  1. #21
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,679
    Like
    2,655
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    but I would guess that Pujols and especially Prince Fielder are going to look pretty silly when they're still getting more than Mauer when they're 40 years old and/or 800 pounds.
    People will think you are exaggerating, but if anything you are underestimating. Pujols will actually be nearly 42 when his contract ends.

  2. #22
    Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    1,116
    Like
    138
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    People will think you are exaggerating, but if anything you are underestimating. Pujols will actually be nearly 42 when his contract ends.
    I agree. By comparison, the Twins are pretty well protected against age and gross obesity when it comes to Joe Mauer. I think that Pujols is easily one of the best baseball players not only of our generation but of all time - an inner circle hall of famer when he's done. But that doesn't mean that he won't be today's A-Rod when he's at the end of his contract. Sucking up dollars, producing little on the field.

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Could it be that a double by Mauer scores someone like Revere from first ahead of him, while a double by Willingham leaves Mauer on third waiting to be driven in? This is a reason I don't trust RISP statistics very much.
    Um, seriously? First, the first sentence was just about runner on base...not in scoring position. And I'm sorry...if you don't trust RISP stats, there's really nowhere to go from there. Might as well just say I don't trust any stats that doesn't back up my view. You are, absolutely, the first one I've ever seen to blow off RISP numbers...so you have that going for you...
    Last edited by ThePuck; 02-11-2013 at 08:00 PM.

  4. #24
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,679
    Like
    2,655
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    You are, absolutely, the first one I've ever seen to blow off RISP numbers
    You need to get out more.

  5. #25
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,128
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    You are, absolutely, the first one I've ever seen to blow off RISP numbers
    Holy balls, really? The vast majority of the sabr community discounts them entirely.

  6. #26
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,128
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    This post is stupid. Please leave.
    Dave, come on. I know you're frustrated with the negativity around here but that is a direct violation of the forum rules and it brings nothing to the conversation (and usually, only helps fan the flames). I just shook my head when I read that post but there's no reason to tell the guy to leave.

    It's that kind of posting that sent BYTO's traffic numbers from "extremely strong community" in 2008 to "circling the drain" in 2012. You often state how much you miss BYTO but the general attitude of that site is unsustainable over the long-term and posts like that were a large reason for its slow demise. If you tell enough people to leave because you think they're stupid, guess what happens?

    They leave and you're left arguing with yourself.

  7. #27
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Holy balls, really? The vast majority of the sabr community discounts them entirely.
    I thought they've blown off RBI numbers...not numbers with RISP. Two different things there. I haven't ever heard of SABR people blowing off what a player does with RISP, and why would they? That would make no sense.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 02-12-2013 at 11:46 AM.

  8. #28
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    You need to get out more.
    If you say so

  9. #29
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,128
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I thought they've blown off RBI numbers...not numbers with RISP. Two different things there. I haven't ever heard of SABR people blowing off what a player does with RISP, and why would they?
    Because it's been proven time and time again that a player hits the same with RISP that he does with the bases empty. Any fluctuation above or below that career norm is a temporary blip in an otherwise consistent arc. Give a guy enough ABs with RISP and he'll end up in the same place as his non-RISP numbers.

    There are a few outliers to that "rule". I think Molitor was one. Maybe Gwynn was another. There were 3-4 guys over the course of 30+ years that didn't revert to career averages with RISP. Such a small fraction of players that it's essentially a given that a player will be the same with or without men on base.

  10. #30
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,089
    Like
    1,822
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    and why would they?
    Because it's been shown that players will, over time, perform basically the same w/RISP as they do as a whole. Dramatically cutting the sample size, for little (or no) benefit, doesn't serve much purpose.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  11. #31
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Because it's been proven time and time again that a player hits the same with RISP that he does with the bases empty. Any fluctuation above or below that career norm is a temporary blip in an otherwise consistent arc. Give a guy enough ABs with RISP and he'll end up in the same place as his non-RISP numbers.

    There are a few outliers to that "rule". I think Molitor was one. Maybe Gwynn was another. There were 3-4 guys over the course of 30+ years that didn't revert to career averages with RISP. Such a small fraction of players that it's essentially a given that a player will be the same with or without men on base.
    So why do the writers at Fangraphs, who are SABR people, write the info I posted that started this conversation?

    'Mauer drove in 18.1 percent of the runners on base for his plate appearances. Not only did that rank eighth-highest in the entire league, it topped Willingham's mark of 16.3 percent. Mauer converted a higher percentage of his RBI chances than Willingham (even though Willingham had a career year), but Willingham had 45 more runners on base in 26 fewer plate appearances because Mauer was on constantly in front of him.'

  12. #32
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,128
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    So why do the writers at Fangraphs, who are SABR people, write the info I posted that started this conversation?

    'Mauer drove in 18.1 percent of the runners on base for his plate appearances. Not only did that rank eighth-highest in the entire league, it topped Willingham's mark of 16.3 percent. Mauer converted a higher percentage of his RBI chances than Willingham (even though Willingham had a career year), but Willingham had 45 more runners on base in 26 fewer plate appearances because Mauer was on constantly in front of him.'
    When I've seen Mauer's RISP numbers quoted, it's usually a retaliatory statement in response to "herp derp Mauer doesn't drive in enough runners to make $20m herp derp". It's refuting a misconception, not attempting to put weight into RISP numbers.

    That's my experience, anyway. YMMV.

  13. #33
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,783
    Like
    666
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Could it be that a double by Mauer scores someone like Revere from first ahead of him, while a double by Willingham leaves Mauer on third waiting to be driven in? This is a reason I don't trust RISP statistics very much.
    Parker wrote a piece that suggested Mauer did benefit from batting behind speedy baserunners, specifically, on ground balls that he pulled.

    Twins Daily - Joe Mauer pulled through in 2012

  14. #34
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,089
    Like
    1,822
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    When I've seen Mauer's RISP numbers quoted, it's usually a retaliatory statement in response to "herp derp Mauer doesn't drive in enough runners to make $20m herp derp". It's refuting a misconception, not attempting to put weight into RISP numbers.
    That's exactly how I see it.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  15. #35
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    When I've seen Mauer's RISP numbers quoted, it's usually a retaliatory statement in response to "herp derp Mauer doesn't drive in enough runners to make $20m herp derp". It's refuting a misconception, not attempting to put weight into RISP numbers.

    That's my experience, anyway. YMMV.
    Correction to what I wrote. That quote came from Gleeman, not Fangraphs, so apologies on that. Wasn't purposely trying to deceive right there, just thought I had gotten it from Fangraphs...

    Mauer's career numbers with RISP are quite a bit better than his normal numbers though. 20 points in BA, 55 points in OBP, 30 points in slg%
    Last edited by ThePuck; 02-12-2013 at 12:06 PM.

  16. #36
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,128
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Parker wrote a piece that suggested Mauer did benefit from batting behind speedy baserunners, specifically, on ground balls that he pulled.

    Twins Daily - Joe Mauer pulled through in 2012
    I think it's pretty obvious that high contact, high average, low power guys will benefit the most from hitting behind speedy baserunners.

  17. #37
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,128
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Correction to what I wrote. That quote came from Gleeman, not Fangraphs, so apologies on that. Wasn't purposely trying to deceive right there, just thought I had gotten it from Fangraphs...
    No worries. Gleeman isn't exactly a traditional baseball RBI guy. The point is the same.

  18. #38
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,783
    Like
    666
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious that high contact, high average, low power guys will benefit the most from hitting behind speedy baserunners.
    Specifically a lefthanded one.

  19. #39
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    In any event, I learned something today, which is awesome. I'm going to research that a bit more.

    My sincerest apologies to ashburyjohn.

  20. #40
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,128
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Mauer's career numbers with RISP are quite a bit better than his normal numbers though. 20 points in BA, 55 points in OBP, 30 points in slg%
    He could be one of those outlier players. While I haven't seen enough evidence to prove the idea, I don't think it's a coincidence that the players with extraordinary bat control (Gwynn, Molitor) were the "outliers" in that RISP study. It makes sense that the guys who can choose where the ball is hit do better with RISP than the "swing away" type of players.

    But those guys are an extremely rare breed. Is Mauer on the level of a Molitor and Gwynn? Right now, yes. Whether that stays true as he ages is another matter entirely.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.