Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Re: Mauer's Contract

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Working from memory, Viola got $1.3 Million. I still recall one of the affiliates out of Duluth reported the deal and had a lower-third graphic that read: "Frank Viola - Very Rich Man." And yes, I recall also that there was some contention about the deal and that didn't go over real big.

As for the other part quoted, I was happy when he signed the deal, I'm fine with it now, and I hope (and even expect) that some of Sano/Buxton/Arcia/etc will be getting large and long extensions before they hit free agency, too.
    We got a chance now to retain our players.

My original perception of the Twins was formed by Calvin Griffith. lol... if I could get thru Griffith in the days of Free Agency... I can get thru this little bump in the road that was 2011 and 2012... Rod Carew in an Angels uniform!!! That was a heartbreaker.

Joe Mauer help push the payroll to 112 million in 2011. There were quite a few other Twins making decent money that year as well.

After Mauer was signed the Twins continued to add salary. It pushed the payroll over 100 million and it helped push the memory of Griffith out the door and Griffith was a large figure to push.

Mauer was the official turning of the page in my book and i think anything is possible now... So I have a hard time thinking "cheap ass organization" since.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    So, the team preference is unquestioning drones. Sounds like a fun locker room to hang out in.
    What's your point here? You seem to have an interesting take on MLB locker room dynamics, I'd love to hear more stories about them.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    What's your point here? You seem to have an interesting take on MLB locker room dynamics, I'd love to hear more stories about them.
    If, as the poster posits, the main reason for the signing of contracts is "these guys won't make a fuss", the priorities for the team are insanely backwards.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Han Joelo View Post
    As hard as it is to relate to people my age who are getting paid millions of dollars to play a game, I always try. In my workplace, they wouldn't be called unquestioning drones, but rather loyal soldiers who are on board with the company's way of doing things. As a non Minnesotan, I follow the Twins because I admire their business model; I am not a blind loyalist, I just like them. I think sticking together through the tough times is the very definition of a healthy organization.

Reading perhaps to deeply, I get the feeling you'd rather have a fiery semi-malcontent outfielder and a finely goteed left-hander on the team then a couple of pasty faced company lackeys from up north.
    I don't really get what point you are trying to make. So you would rather have an entire team composed of border major league talent nice guys that would struggle to eek out 70 wins in a season instead of rolling the dice on a guy every once in a while that is fiery or runs his mouth a bit to the media? Last time I checked, we made the playoffs when we had Hunter, Hudson, and Cabrera on this team. Well your wish is granted, we've got the likes of Scott Elarton waiting in the wings at AAA when we need him!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    If, as the poster posits, the main reason for the signing of contracts is "these guys won't make a fuss", the priorities for the team are insanely backwards.
    It is highly unlikely that the primary reason the team resigned these guys was tha they wouldn't make a fuss. How about that they were in their prime years and top players?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    It is highly unlikely that the primary reason the team resigned these guys was tha they wouldn't make a fuss. How about that they were in their prime years and top players?
    Probably, but THAT'S NOT WHAT THE POSTER WAS SAYING.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Maybe you should think outside the box and try to read people's mind and think what they mean is actually opposite of what they are saying.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually, what I meant was not that they wouldn't make a fuss, but that they wouldn't be Divas, or getting drunk and trying to beat up Jews, or trying to run down traffic cops. Stuff like that. Or those players who run to the media to complain about the team instead of trying to deal directly with the manager and fix the issues, rather than whining like a spoiled little brat.

Guys that understand that this is team sport, and are in it for the team, not just themselves.

Remember Dorn in Major League? The guy who was far more concerned about his next big contract than how the team was doing right then? That's basically the guy the Twins DON'T want.
    Last edited by spideyo; 02-13-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    Remember Dorn in Major League? The guy who was far more concerned about his next big contract than how the team was doing right then? That's basically the guy the Twins DON'T want.
    I think most teams would shy away from fictional cartoonish caricatures of self-important athletes.

Remember Dorn in Major League? .
    Get in front of the damn ball!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think most teams would shy away from fictional cartoonish caricatures of self-important athletes.
    I dunno, the vikings signed Moss TWICE

I dunno, the vikings signed Moss TWICE
    When I hear that Roger Dorn is a cartoon parody and over the top, I am reminded of a few people. Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle, Milton Bradley, Alex Rodriguez, to name a few. These are real people with real lack of self awareness who are much more outrageous than anything Dorn pulled in the movies.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345