Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Roster Projections Part 1: Pitchers and Catchers

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Starters: Diamond, Worley, Correia Pelfrey, Hendriks (DeVries if Diamond needs a fill-in for a couple of weeks)
    Relievers: Perkins, Burton, Duensing, Fien, Roenicke, Pressly, DeVries (LR, spot starter)

Burnett was at least a +WAR guy last year, but just barely. Swarzak wasn't even close. I'd like to see what some of the other guys can do and make them earn their way back. Let's not keep a Jeff Gray-type performer on the roster as long as we did last year.

As for Gibson, I say start him in AAA giving him 60-70 pitches a start and hopefully have him ramped up by mid-May, early June. They have an abundance of starters in AAA, have one of them be Gibson's scheduled relief. Gibson pitches first 4-5, followed by Vazquez or Swarzak. Or better yet, have him spend April in warm Ft.Myers and then send him to AAA.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    The Opening Day Starter for Your 2013 Minnesota Twins:

Kevin Correia.
    If Diamond doesn't start opening day, it had better be Worley. I think heads will explode across TD if it is Correia.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are considering injuries or the possibility of injuries, nobody should really be at 100%, right? Actually might be kind of interesting to see your health forecast here -- Correia would certainly be the top starter then, probably at the max percentage for pitchers (whatever that would be - 98%?).

Echoing some of the other comments: Gibson is way too high (dude's never pitched in MLB and has barely pitched since surgery) and Deduno is probably a bit too low (he should be notably ahead of Walters and Vasquez).

In the bullpen, Burnett really should be 100% (even though many of us are not fans), and Swarzak's probably close to 100% if not for the injury. Tim Wood is too high (I don't think he's guaranteed anything), as are Pressly (always bet against the Rule 5 pick!) and Thielbar (although Seth seems to be a fan).

I hope Butera at 95% is too high, but you're probably right, unless the Twins come to some interesting arrangement with Mauer, Doumit, and Herrmann.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,295 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    I hope the Twins only carry two catchers and keep an extra IF so no Butera.
    If I did the math right, 95% x 15% means there is about a 14% chance the Twins will carry four.

/ I know, I know, 95% + 15% = 110% meaning about a 10% chance of some injury.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Gibson's innings will be limited, why waste them in AAA? Why not make him the long man and bring him into the rotation when he's up to 50 innings or do?

Also, why do we need three catchers again? Butera didn't start the season with the Twins last year. Here's hoping they don't waste a roster spot on him again, at least not on the opening day roster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    If Gibson's innings will be limited, why waste them in AAA? Why not make him the long man and bring him into the rotation when he's up to 50 innings or do?
    Because if he's going to be a starter long-term, keeping him on a starter's routine is more important.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts

Also, why do we need three catchers again? Butera didn't start the season with the Twins last year. Here's hoping they don't waste a roster spot on him again, at least not on the opening day roster.
    Certainly extended spring training is an option for Gibson to limit his pitches, isn't it?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Certainly extended spring training is an option for Gibson to limit his pitches, isn't it?
    I'm not positive about this, but I believe that players on extended ST accrue major league service time (similar to players on rehab assignments). If they were going to do that they may as well just send him to Rochester and get the extra year of control.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    If I did the math right, 95% x 15% means there is about a 14% chance the Twins will carry four.
    Don't bother with this... the cumulative percentages say the Twins will bring 17.8 pitchers/catchers north on the 25-man active roster. I would sure hope it's closer to 15.

The article is great, there's actual names projected at the bottom, and we all get the point of the percentages, but I do wish Seth would take just a few extra minutes to have the math add up right.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Then have Gibson start and have a designated reliever in the majors. If the reliever gets tired, call up the next guy from AAA....you know, use AAA for flexibility, like other teams do.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,295 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Then have Gibson start and have a designated reliever in the majors. If the reliever gets tired, call up the next guy from AAA....you know, use AAA for flexibility, like other teams do.
    You've also got a third-string catcher with a live arm who'd love to get into games...

Brunett and Swarzak are the guys on the bubble. If Pressly shows stuff, he could make Swarzak expendable. Brunett still has options. Use them, Twins. I would rather see Roeincke or Wood be a palcesetter in 2013 and give us another season of Burnett, otherwise, consider him gone when he enters arbitration year 2 anyways. I do wish we had anyone but Butera as the third catcher/bench bat. It is a weakness the Twins don't need.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Because if he's going to be a starter long-term, keeping him on a starter's routine is more important.
    Then he hits the 130 inning peak and is shut down in August, using up most of his inning in AAA and not progressing like he needs to. Think of Santana as a model fo a guy who transitioned from the bullpen to the rotation. It's not that difficult.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
    If Harden is healthy and pitching anything like he used to he will be on the roster, a couple of big "ifs" though.
    It wasn't rotator cuff surgery, so I think there's a better than 4% chance. I'd say it's as good as any of the other non-roster invitees.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Then he hits the 130 inning peak and is shut down in August, using up most of his inning in AAA and not progressing like he needs to. Think of Santana as a model fo a guy who transitioned from the bullpen to the rotation. It's not that difficult.
    Bullpen routine is completely different from starter routine. He's coming off of a major injury. The best thing that can happen to him this year is that he gets locked in his routine and gets his strength built back up with an eye towards the long term. Having him spend a chunk of the year not knowing if he's throwing that day, the next day, or whenever isn't useful in his buildup towards starting.

Santana pitched out of the pen initially as a way to hide him on the roster. Then he spent the better part of the next two years relieving as well. That was his routine, and then he worked over to starting. Minus a few rehab outings, Gibson has been starting exclusively his whole career, and should remain on his starter's routine. Period. His 130, 150, or however many innings he throws this year aren't make or break for the Twins' 2013 fortunes, but keeping him healthy and progressing towards a full workload next year and beyond is certainly going to be a much bigger factor in their successes in those seasons.
    Last edited by FrodaddyG; 02-13-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    If Ron decides to keep Drew , our bench could posibly be Butrea,Escobar,Clete Thomas and Florimon.....another murders row in the making? And why, because of maybe 2-3 at bats over the entire season?

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    The article is great, there's actual names projected at the bottom, and we all get the point of the percentages, but I do wish Seth would take just a few extra minutes to have the math add up right.
    Seth, I was wrong and apologize. I think you're including the possibility that a few guys are brought north on the DL (Pelfrey, Diamond, Swarzak, etc) and your numbers are just fine. It would be weird/confusing to show the probability for those guys at far less than what you think it will be to account for the possibility they get DL'ed.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Any thought on Perez's chances of making the opening day roster?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12