Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN's Schoenfield Twins Offseason Report Card

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    The Twins outlook isn't surefire rosy, but this is a crap article. They have at least as much on-field talent as every team in the division except Detroit. That isn't saying much, I know.
    No, they really dont.

Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    No, they really dont.
    I'm looking at the rosters. I'm not seeing any really talented teams out there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Being objective and realistic about our favorite team doesn't make you any less of a fan.

The Indians have a better offense than the Twins with decent defense. Their rotation is probably as good as the Twins. The Royals are average to above average in left field, center, third, short, first, DH, and catcher. They made some improvements to their rotation, too. The White Sox are pretty much the same team as last season, which is still better than the Twins. This season for the Twins is more about getting the chance to bring up some minor leaguers and put the team on track for being better in 2014 than it is about immediate success. I find the 68 win projections to be very accurate.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    For my nickel I think there could be a logjam for second place in the AL Central between teams with nearly identical losing records. It wouldn't take much. Could be the most favorable inter league schedule determines it.

But that is, as they say, why they still play the games.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the roster is better on paper than last year but not by enough to result in a significant number of wins above what they had last year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is an excellent point, and the Twins are obviously as good top to bottom as every other team in the division.

(Big Brother is watching, kids.)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    LOL this is basically the same as going up to the fat girl at the beach and telling her "you are the most beautiful woman here" while there are solid 718's, 818's and 919's all over the place.

Listen, I am as big of a homer as they come when they come to the Twins, and I still hold hope that ALL goes right and they compete this year, but the Twins on field talent on paper is pretty weak, they have question marks arguably at the following positions (SP,SP,SP,SP, RP, 1B, 3B,SS,2B, RF, CF)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
    I think the roster is better on paper than last year but not by enough to result in a significant number of wins above what they had last year.
    I am going to disagree with you, we lost Span, Revere, Baker, Pavano and replaced them with Worley and Correia for the most part. However I think we will get more wins then last year, because injuries hit us HARD last year.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I would speak for yourself on this one. Two marginal upgrades and everyone here would be happy? Do you read the majority of postings?
    Yeah, that would have went a long way in being happier, at the very least it would have indicated they were willing to TRY.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,299 Times in 525 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I am going to disagree with you, we lost Span, Revere, Baker, Pavano and replaced them with Worley and Correia for the most part. However I think we will get more wins then last year, because injuries hit us HARD last year.
    Getting healthy......is just like making a trade.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    For my nickel I think there could be a logjam for second place in the AL Central between teams with nearly identical losing records. It wouldn't take much. Could be the most favorable inter league schedule determines it.

But that is, as they say, why they still play the games.
    LOL. This could be very true. Indians, Royals, and White Sox are all hovering around it each other it seems.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    "Basically, check back in 2015."

This is basically the gist of the entire off-season, and it didn't have to be that way.

Outfield is a huge question mark, MI is completely unproven, 3rd base is a work in progress but wishful at best, we all know about the pitching, the leadoff and bottom 3rd of the order is a big prayer and the we get to the bench.

He definitely has a shallow understanding of the organization as a whole and knows very little about the ceiling on the prospects we expect to see this year. The rest is just a matter of reality bites, you can hope he's wrong about most of it but that's about it.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 02-14-2013 at 02:53 PM.

LOL this is basically the same as going up to the fat girl at the beach and telling her "you are the most beautiful woman here" while there are solid 718's, 818's and 919's all over the place.

Listen, I am as big of a homer as they come when they come to the Twins, and I still hold hope that ALL goes right and they compete this year, but the Twins on field talent on paper is pretty weak, they have question marks arguably at the following positions (SP,SP,SP,SP, RP, 1B, 3B,SS,2B, RF, CF)
    LOL this is the same as going to read something and failing to comprehed. I am saying that the Twins are just as talented as the 3 other relatively talent-free teams that will fight for the AL central basement. Obviously ther are all sorts of good teams in baseball, just not in the AL central.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    LOL this is the same as going to read something and failing to comprehed. I am saying that the Twins are just as talented as the 3 other relatively talent-free teams that will fight for the AL central basement. Obviously ther are all sorts of good teams in baseball, just not in the AL central.
    This is an excellent point, and you obviously have a very deep reserve of talent evaluation. Thank you for your brilliant insights.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Who cares if they are awful but not as awful as Cleveland? I do not think finishing with 72 wins, but ahead of Cleveland, is anything to be happy about.

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Who cares if they are awful but not as awful as Cleveland? I do not think finishing with 72 wins, but ahead of Cleveland, is anything to be happy about.
    I can say with pretty high certainty that the Indians finish at least 5 games ahead of us this year.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    That was not the point people were making above.

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    That was not the point people were making above.
    Valid point haha.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are worse in CF but given there was no Pavano or Baker due to injury for a good chunk of the year the pitching staff is improved over what we saw most of the season last year. If you have a healthy Baker and Pavano at the same time last year's rotation is better than this year's but based on what we actually saw on the field I think the rotation is better this year.

I don't think we replaced Baker, but I think Worley could potentially be an improvement on Pavano though he might not be the 220 inning type of guy. I think if Baker is health this year he can be a good #2 pitcher. Hard to replace a #2.

I think that Diamond + Worley+ Correia+Pelfrey+ Hendriks is better than Diamond+Liariano+Blackburn+Devries+Hendriks/Deduno

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast