Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mackey: Gibson Should Start In Bullpen, Carroll On The Bench

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mackey: Gibson Should Start In Bullpen, Carroll On The Bench

Phil Mackey gives five things to watch/opinions about the Twins spring training. The two that struck me were:

The Twins have already decided they won't use Gibson out of the bullpen, mostly because he has been a starter his entire professional and amateur career. Medlen had previous bullpen experience.
    If having Gibson available in September is important, the Twins should reconsider.
    Mackey is a little more bullish than I am on this pitching staff. Given that, it makes sense. I was also a little surprised to see this:

The Twins would like everyone to believe Eduardo Escobar and Jamey Carroll are firmly in the mix too, and they are. But shortstop and second base are Florimon and Dozier's spots to lose.
    I gotta say, I think it's a real mistake to push Dozier to the majors again. Let the guy get his feet under him in AAA for chrisakes.

Mackey: Pitcher injuries, Joe Benson among things to watch in Florida - Minnesota Twins news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    I disagree about putting Gibson in the bullpen. If anything, it could be worse. Relievers are known to just let it fly when they only have to pitch an inning or two, which could be worse for the arm.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Why should Dozier need to earn a spot when Florimon doesn't need to earn a spot?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,289 Times in 520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Why should Dozier need to earn a spot when Florimon doesn't need to earn a spot?
    Who said that?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Who said that?
    John says he thinks its a mistake to push Dozier to the majors. Doesn't say anything about Mackey presuming that Florimon is a shoe-in.

Considering the MI options the Twins have given themselves, I don't see any combination they can roll out that isn't going to be a complete mess.
    Last edited by Boom Boom; 02-13-2013 at 03:40 PM.

What more can Florimon learn in AAA? He is what he is. A rangy flashy shortstop who really doesn't hit much. Dozier on the other hand is flipping to the other side of the diamond, as he's primarily been a shortstop. That might be part of it.

I guess I didn't read John's comment as meaning Dozier "needed to earn a spot." I saw it more along the lines of giving him a chance to ease in and see a bit of high level success first after his 2012 disaster of a season.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."

I guess I didn't read John's comment as meaning Dozier "needed to earn a spot." I saw it more along the lines of giving him a chance to ease in and see a bit of high level success first after his 2012 disaster of a season.
    I think Dozier would need to completely embarrass himself in ST in order to not be guaranteed a spot. There's just no depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I think Dozier would need to completely embarrass himself in ST in order to not be guaranteed a spot. There's just no depth.
    This is true, the middle infield options are, putting it kindly, dreadful.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    As long as we don't give Gibson the "Ol' Slowey" with this bullpen thing I'm at least open to it. Much rather see him starting somewhere though, he needs to build back endurance in a regular fashion rather than spot opportunities.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Dozier, sure, I guess there's still some upside, but Florimon should not have a spot locked. If the Twins are serious about trying to win some games (they say they are anyway) then Carroll and his superior OBP probably need to be in the lineup most often, perhaps even in the two hole.

I've already conceded the season though so I would give young guys with promise the nod. It's just that Florimon and Escobar have zero promise. I'd get more excited if the Twins signed Jim Thome and gave him a middle infielder glove.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 855 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    As long as we don't give Gibson the "Ol' Slowey" with this bullpen thing I'm at least open to it. Much rather see him starting somewhere though, he needs to build back endurance in a regular fashion rather than spot opportunities.
    Has anyone noticed if Ol' Gibson has been reading The Know-it-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists ?

The Twins have already decided they won't use Gibson out of the bullpen, mostly because he has been a starter his entire professional and amateur career. Medlen had previous bullpen experience.
    If having Gibson available in September is important, the Twins should reconsider.
    Yeah, that's going to happen. I'm with the Twins FO and Leviathan, here (shocking, I know). Geez people, this isn't rocket science, and a Strasburg/Nats scenario just isn't going to happen this year, Mr. Mackey. Given that the Twins have already made a statement of puntage for 2013, the Twins can experiment with Gibson via a short-innings starting schedule, a 6-man rotation, a 3x3 inning matrix every 5th game, delayed call-up, extended spring training, etc.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 855 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Dozier, sure, I guess there's still some upside, but Florimon should not have a spot locked. If the Twins are serious about trying to win some games (they say they are anyway) then Carroll and his superior OBP probably need to be in the lineup most often, perhaps even in the two hole.

I've already conceded the season though so I would give young guys with promise the nod. It's just that Florimon and Escobar have zero promise. I'd get more excited if the Twins signed Jim Thome and gave him a middle infielder glove.
    Sadly, since they won't move Mauer up or risk experimenting with Parmelee there, last year's 39 year-old, 9-hole hitter is the club's best and only logical option for promotion to the 2-spot.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know what on earth is so wrong about starting Gibson either in EST for a time or in Rochester as a STARTER and limiting his innings substantially there so that he can pitch about 100 for the Twins.

Also, Escobar can't seriously be in consideration. He is far and away the guy who needs more AAA time. Dozier at second is perfectly fine and they should let Carroll and Florimon battle for starting shortstop.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Because pitching in the minors is the same wear and tear. Start him in MN, put him in limits, use others to finish his games. If they are tired, use AAAA to supplement.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Because pitching in the minors is the same wear and tear. Start him in MN, put him in limits, use others to finish his games. If they are tired, use AAAA to supplement.
    While pitching in the minors is the same wear and tear on the pitcher it doesn't have the same effect on the bullpen.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    That is what AAA is for. Use it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Pitching in the bullpen is a totally different animal, and transitioning in season from the bullpen to the rotation isn't very easy. I have said this repeatedly and maybe it is stupid, but have Andrew Albers be Gibson's lefty replacement after 3, later 4, and finally after 5 innings. Let him pitch 4 games at each innings output (or whatever somewhat equivalent pitch count obviously). If everything goes well that would amount to 48 innings max, leaving 100 to go for the Twins. I would rather have Gibson actually pitch a full damn season again finally, which would mean pitching April through September.

Blog Entries
    Isn't 2010 the last time he pitched April through (well, into) September? Yeah there might be value in that (as a starter) going forward into 2014.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    let him play and see what he does in spring training, if he needs a half season in rochestor ,fine, but if he earns a shot , let him come north and take his lumps, keep Gardy and his posse away from bus tossing , and let the kid learn this year ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast