Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zulgad: Twins Have A Plan

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Zulgad: Twins Have A Plan

Second story we've seen in a week that basically points out that Ryan got the big stuff (high-upside high-minors starting pitching) right even if 2013 looks kind of dismal. I guess. I'd still maintain it wasn't an either/or scenario. Zulgad compares the Twins to football teams, as is his want....

If the Minnesota Twins are smart, they will spend this spring pointing to the Vikings and saying, "Look, see how quickly a turnaround can take place."

The thought from this corner entering the Vikings season was that Frazier would win about four games. That thought obviously turned out to be very wrong.
    I think it's becoming en vogue to swim against the stream when it comes to being pessimistic about the 2013 season. Maybe that's just spring talking. Or maybe it's the Vikings season that just ended. Or maybe it's just the pivot that sportswriters like to take to keep things fresh.

But I gotta say - I think this is going to be one pretty dismal season if one focuses on the results. The stories that will be worth following will be individual. And let's not forget that if either of these high minors arms struggles - or worse yet is injured - the hope that is being sold is going to look awfully silly.

Zulgad: Twins might be a year away but at least there is now a clear plan | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    There is a pretty big difference between football and baseball. Teams are regularly swapping spots in football and there is almost perennially a team that goes worst-to-first in a division. It's just apples and oranges and I wish people would stop making that comp.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    The Vikings added a big time starting left tackle, got two starting corners back on the field, a legit starting safety, the best kicker in the league, and added two new back up corners. What, exactly, did the twins do that is like that?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,281 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    The Vikings added a big time starting left tackle, got two starting corners back on the field, a legit starting safety, the best kicker in the league, and added two new back up corners. What, exactly, did the twins do that is like that?

No?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Even then for the Vikings to pull off a 10 win season, a bunch of things all had to fall there way, not the least of which was AD's remarkable recovery. For the Twins to have a similar turnaround, a lot of marginal players would have to have career years and then some. Well spring is the time of year for optimism, so I guess we can hope for a little while.

All we need is Morny to come in with a BIG start.

Quote Originally Posted by danbo View Post
    All we need is Morny to come in with a BIG start.
    To increase what we'll get for him in a trade?

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins media machine working its magic. Love seeing articles like this.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What happens to Morneau depends on how he does and how Parmalee performs. If Parmalee fails and Morneau has a good start maybe Morneau is extended and Parmalee goes away. This is certainly possible.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    They got the big time left tackle in this year's draft, that legit starting safety in the late first round of this year's draft, that top kicker in this year's draft, and two of the corners in the draft, not to mention Jarius Wright who showed some talent when playing. Guys got healthy... the Twins could get some pitchers back (Gibson, Hendriks, Pelfrey, Worley, Harden)...

The difference is that the draft in baseball generally takes 5-7 years to show its effectiveness. That's the factor.

They Vikings also got some improved play from quite a few players on the lines, and in various phases. The Twins are also hoping that a few of their players step up and improve.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    I don't know how it ended up ranking for difficulty, but wouldn't they have played an Easier schedule last year for being terrible the year before?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The difference is that the draft in baseball generally takes 5-7 years to show its effectiveness. That's the factor.
    Right, hence why any comparisons are ridiculous. In a longer season a team's major, glaring weaknesses get exposed more often. Hell, there are probably at least a dozen reasons this comparison is ridiculous. If the Twins are somehow able to compete this year it will share nothing with how the Vikings did the same. The two sports are apples and oranges.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Zulgad writes about the only sport he cares about again... FB
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I'd still maintain it wasn't an either/or scenario.
    I'll be repeating myself to say more than just "yes". But, yes.

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    I'm getting dizzy from all the spinning. And have a feeling the earth may shake when the spin-meisters all go kerplunk in April.

My opinion of Zulgad dipped a bit with his football/baseball comparison. Besides, too many facts to the contrary to drink the "Twins have a chance this year" koolaid
    Last edited by Mark_RM; 02-13-2013 at 08:47 PM.

The Twins don't believe it themselves why do think there are so much press on Twins Farm system. They cann't sell this team but they are sure trying to sell the future with potential stars in their minor league system. It didn't have to be this way with the room they have in salary budget compared two years ago. They could have funded shortterm replacements until these kids were ready from the farm system. Instead were left with one or two years thrown away and waste of Mauer being in peak years plus several other quality players. Its cheapest and least risk wise from business standpoint in that they are going to have very nice rate of return on their investment. I still think its going to cost them money from future revenues because the brand of Twins will not have the same value if we experience 100 loss season and could do so again in the following year.

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever54 View Post
    Even then for the Vikings to pull off a 10 win season, a bunch of things all had to fall there way, not the least of which was AD's remarkable recovery. For the Twins to have a similar turnaround, a lot of marginal players would have to have career years and then some. Well spring is the time of year for optimism, so I guess we can hope for a little while.
    AD's season was like if Mauer suddenly bats .400 with 40 homeruns.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    AD's season was like if Mauer suddenly bats .400 with 40 homeruns.
    And wins ten games as a pitcher.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    It seems like a lot of guys making sure they keep a spot in the twins press box buffett line.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast