Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What is the status of Alex Wimmers?

  1. #1

    What is the status of Alex Wimmers?

    Does anyone know the status of Wimmers? I know he struggled and then was hurt last year but we've all seem to have forgotten about him. He was an excellent pitcher, regardless of how hard he did or did not throw. Will he pitch this year? What is his upside? He's only 24 years old so it's not like he's old yet.
    Last edited by 071063; 02-14-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections

  2. #2
    Poor guy is following in Gibson's steps. He's doing the Tommy John recovery thing this year.

  3. #3
    When was his surgery as he only pitched 5 innings in 2012. He should actually be ready to pitch some this year, shouldn't he?

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,161
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    The Twins history of being wishy-washy about injuries caused the them to wait quite a while before they sent him for TJ surgery. He had arm issues in the spring but they did not decide on surgery until early August. I haven't heard any updates but he could start throwing again mid summer. He was not however the same caliber prospect as Gibson. He's not overpowering and doesn't have any kind of electric movement. He's your typical control pitcher.

    Despite the Twins drafting 21st that year and despite everyone thinking that Wimmers was the the most MLB ready pitcher, every draft guru and every fan knew he would end up with the Twins because the Twins so predictably prefered safe picks when it comes to pitchers while other teams nearly always go for picks with upside. I purposfully made prefered past tense as I believe and hope that philosophy is finally behind them.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 071063 View Post
    Does anyone know the status of Wimmers? I know he struggled and then was hurt last year but we've all seem to have forgotten about him. He was an excellent pitcher, regardless of how hard he did or did not throw. Will he pitch this year? What is his upside? He's only 24 years old so it's not like he's old yet.
    He's coming off TJS, and maybe will see some innings rehabbing late in the year. If he's being overlooked, it's because his best asset was his polish and the fact he should have moved rapidly through the system. Then he couldn't throw a strike to save his life, and spent the better part of a season trying to have the strike zone re-described to him, before a late year start last year where he delivered the coup de grace to his UCL. As a guy who didn't throw hard before getting hurt, he's going to need an excellent bouceback to even have a chance of being a back-of-the-rotation contributor to the MLB staff at some point in his career.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Posts
    456
    Like
    12
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    I'm not sure how he is doing personally, but I know he had the procedure done around late July/ early August. It'll be awhile before he sees live action

    Wimmers undergoes Tommy John surgery | twinsbaseball.com: News

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Posts
    1,507
    Like
    12
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by 071063 View Post
    When was his surgery as he only pitched 5 innings in 2012. He should actually be ready to pitch some this year, shouldn't he?
    He was on the rest and rehab plan that failed. Failure for a proper diagnosis by the Twins medical staff. I think it was about August when he got it, so he will miss most of 2013, maybe come back at the end to get a few innings in, possible AFL guy.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Triple-A mcrow's Avatar
    Posts
    275
    Like
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    He's coming off TJS, and maybe will see some innings rehabbing late in the year. If he's being overlooked, it's because his best asset was his polish and the fact he should have moved rapidly through the system. Then he couldn't throw a strike to save his life, and spent the better part of a season trying to have the strike zone re-described to him, before a late year start last year where he delivered the coup de grace to his UCL. As a guy who didn't throw hard before getting hurt, he's going to need an excellent bouceback to even have a chance of being a back-of-the-rotation contributor to the MLB staff at some point in his career.
    From what I understand a good number of pitchers who have TJ eventually endup throwing harder than they did before but it's normally the 2nd season back.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    555
    Like
    0
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
    From what I understand a good number of pitchers who have TJ eventually endup throwing harder than they did before but it's normally the 2nd season back.
    It is true, though doesnt their control tend to suffer a bit (at least relatively short term)? I have nothing to go on, just something I feel like I remember from the past.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Triple-A mcrow's Avatar
    Posts
    275
    Like
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    It is true, though doesnt their control tend to suffer a bit (at least relatively short term)? I have nothing to go on, just something I feel like I remember from the past.
    Hard to tell but I would guess if someone starts throwing harder than they normally do they'll probably have some control issues until they figure out how to locate the fastball with the new velocity.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.