Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zulgad: Dozier Has a Plan and A New Position

Zulgad: Dozier Has a Plan and A New Position

Dozier dedicated himself to becoming a second baseman this offseason because he knows if he's going to make the Minnesota Twins roster this spring it almost certainly will be at that position. . . Twins general manager Terry Ryan and manager Ron Gardenhire both talked to Dozier after the 2012 season about wanting to see him play second and Dozier ran with the idea. This despite the fact he only played the occasional game at second in the minors and did not play there in college at Southern Mississippi.
    Zulgad: After a tough year, Brian Dozier has a plan and a new position

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well that's why they called him up in September to give him time at second base. Wait . . . that never happened.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    So....everybody's got plans eh? From the looks of his plan, he intends to use a lot of GardySpeak to show he "gets it"

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    So....everybody's got plans eh? From the looks of his plan, he intends to use a lot of GardySpeak to show he "gets it"
    He probably realizes from experience that hitting well certainly won't help him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes I wonder how guys mentally handle the shift from SS to 2B. I think any infielder would stick at SS if it were up to them and it's a bit of an ego blow to be told you have to take the 'easier' spot. That said... I'm sure he's willing to do what it takes to stick on the MLB roster.

Liked 329 Times in 174 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, more spinsanity, but less dreadful coming from a player, at least. That's been enough to keep players with less talent on the roster. In the absence of a worthwhile alternative, I'm all for Dozier going all Jedi mind trick on Gardy in order to hold his spot on the roster.

He keeps talking like this and adds a few head-first slides....he may be on A Drew Butera Memorial Scholarship in no time!

Blog Entries
    He keeps talking like this and adds a few head-first slides....he may be on A Drew Butera Memorial Scholarship in no time!
    Yep, that and some huge turns around first on singles that are so not in any danger of being stretched into a double. We love fake hustle!

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that 10th inning game against the Rays left an undeservedly sour taste in everyone's mouth, mine included. But if you look at Dozier's performance as a whole, defensively, he really didn't do anything to lose the SS job (neither did Carroll). He was exceedlingly average by just about any metric you care to look at.

I remember Dozier leading the league in errors for much of his stint....is that not correct? I remember a lot of routine plays bobbled.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as scoring games, yes, he made a lot of errors compared to Florimon or Carroll. He also made played more innings than the other two combined. Overall, his fielding percentage was .964 to FLorimon's .965 and Carroll's .989. I maintain that Dozier's mistakes were just higher profile.

Well, now that he has a plan, I see this working out.

I wonder why the Twins always wait for someone to fail, go down to the minors and get another chance before they develop a cohesive plan for their success.

It's good we have it figured out now though.

The issue with Dozier had more to do with the 'eye' test after his mistakes. He would make a big E, and then slouch. Florimon makes an E and goes after the next play with the same energy. Dozier also was called out for poor positioning on cut offs and such repeatedly.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    he may be on A Drew Butera Memorial Scholarship in no time!
    Usually a memorial is for someone "no longer with us". Do you have advance insight about that, to foster some hope?

No info....just the power of positive thinking?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    The issue with Dozier had more to do with the 'eye' test after his mistakes. He would make a big E, and then slouch. Florimon makes an E and goes after the next play with the same energy. Dozier also was called out for poor positioning on cut offs and such repeatedly.
    After its decade of near-epic failure to either develop or acquire (with one quickly rectified exception) a quality middle infielder, I'm inclined to regard this organization's tests, eye or otherwise, of talent in that position with skepticism, if not outright scorn.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, just to clarify, everyone on this board has completely given up on Dozier's ability to be a competent middle infielder based on a half-season? Dozier gets it. He is a baseball player. Hopefully 2013 looks a lot more like 2011 than 2012.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    So, just to clarify, everyone on this board has completely given up on Dozier's ability to be a competent middle infielder based on a half-season? Dozier gets it. He is a baseball player. Hopefully 2013 looks a lot more like 2011 than 2012.
    I for one haven't but it's more than just half a season to me. I believed he was rushed up here in desperation, in reality his numbers in AAA at the time of his call- up were nothing special and if we had some kind of half-assed performance from 1/2 of the MI he wouldn't have been up, which would have been fine.

I very much want Dozier to succeed, he is the only thing that resembles pop from among anyone in the MI, although I'd settle for him just getting on base at regular clip and making the plays he should in the field.

Dozier representing our only real hope just isn't based on a whole lot of evidence, that's all.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 02-16-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 605 Times in 232 Posts
    I haven't given up on Dozier.

But I have all but given up on the team's ability to evaluate the middle infield.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    No, more like salvaging a laugh from yet another grain of sand on the endless beach of sports BSOML articles. He's still got a realistic shot at sticking, although utility man seems more in his stars than regular.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast