Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bollinger: Herrmann Hopes to break camp as 3rd catcher

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 250 Times in 143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    You know this is a false dichotomy between Herrmann and Butera. There are likely several better catching options available than Butera.
    I'm thinking Doumit, especially if Mauer catches a few more games this season.

My favorite hope for the bench is only carrying twelve pitchers, and call ups if a guy gets hurt, and not the eternal day to day status.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suspect the whole premise for having Butera on the roster is to carry *only* 12 pitchers, given Butera's history of being able to get one or two starters on track and hold them there during the season. Pavano in 2010 and Liriano in 2012 being the best (only?) examples.

I would be surprised if they have Butera and 13 pitchers.

Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    I understand and agree with the goal of maintaining a respectful tone and keeping the overall level of discourse out of the gutter it's fallen into at times, but let's not overcorrect here. If the stuff in this thread is close to crossing the line and arguably even over it, then I think the line is a bit closer to Romper Room than it needs to be.
    Jack, you are an exemplary member, I value your opinion and agree that we don;t want this to be like Romper Room.

Please note that we are trying to maintain a balance here where we can foster passionate debate while minimizing personal attacks and feuding. My post was intended to be both proactive and gentle. As a moderator, I have been given powers to assess infractions, to delete posts and to ban people in order to maintain the balance, BUT I never want it to get to any of that. Leviathan and Nick are both great members and I think that we will all benefit if such great members thoughtfully consider the benefits from giving each other just a bit more respect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    I suspect it's because some of this stuff carries into thread after thread after... It gets on people's nerves after a while.
    You are correct my friend.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    I suspect it's because some of this stuff carries into thread after thread after... It gets on people's nerves after a while.
    Ya think? AAAA catcher thread redux...

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 593 Times in 320 Posts
    Funny thing is you're both right. We don't need a 3rd catcher, but if we're forced to accept one, we could do a whole lot better than Butera.

I'm exhausted on this one, it's like punching yourself in the face.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 02-20-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Funny thing is your both right. We don't need a 3rd catcher, but if we're forced to accept one, we could do a whole lot better than Butera.

I'm exhausted on this one, it's like punching yourself in the face.
    I think that you have done a great job summarizing this thread.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456