Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miller: Put Them in Coach: These Twins are Ready to Play center field

Miller: Put Them in Coach: These Twins are Ready to Play center field

"It's all on their shoulders," Gardenhire said. "If we think Hicksie's ready or Benson's ready to do this, fine. Or if Mastroianni is ready to be an every-day center fielder, fine. They'll tell us. Players decide, they always have."
    Put them in, Coach: These Twins are ready to play center field | StarTribune.com

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Benson had microfracture surgery? I knew he had knee surgery... but microfracture is a big deal. Just ask Grady Sizemore or Greg Oden.

"Currently, Sizemore is the only player in MLB history to come back from knee microfracture surgery and play centerfield."

"One study has shown a success rate of 75 to 80 percent among patients 45 years of age or younger."

Both from Microfracture's Wiki page.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 02-17-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Boy, I sure like having Miller back on the beat. He's such a good writer.

Trouble is, the 23-year-old has never seen a Class AAA fastball, much less a major league curve.
    I also loved this quote from Gardy:

"It's all on their shoulders," Gardenhire said. "If we think Hicksie's ready or Benson's ready to do this, fine. Or if Mastroianni is ready to be an every-day center fielder, fine. They'll tell us. Players decide, they always have."
    If I had my druthers, I might leave Hicks in AAA unless I was REALLY sure he was ready to succeed in the majors. And I don't know why Benson is even in the discussion, to be honest. He certainly hasn't shown anything to suggest he's ready for the majors since August of 2011.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Benson had microfracture surgery? I knew he had knee surgery... but microfracture is a big deal. Just ask Grady Sizemore or Greg Oden.
    That's a good nugget. To be honest, I was kind of low on Benson even when he was successfully ascending the minors because of his poor plate discipline, which was really exposed during that month in the majors. Speed has been one of his main assets and now he has to come back from a tough knee surgery. I'd love it if he surprised me but I've pretty much counted him out.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Boy, I sure like having Miller back on the beat. He's such a good writer.

I also loved this quote from Gardy:

If I had my druthers, I might leave Hicks in AAA unless I was REALLY sure he was ready to succeed in the majors. And I don't know why Benson is even in the discussion, to be honest. He certainly hasn't shown anything to suggest he's ready for the majors since August of 2011.
    I think Benson is in the discussion because, as of now, only Maestro can play CF. Either Hicks or Benson is going to have to make the team. We aren't going into the season with only one guy able to play CF.

During Twinsfest, Benson did an interview with 1500, like most of the players do. He was talking about his injuries and said that the microfracture surgery was to a non-weight-bearing part of the knee. He made it sound less serious than the normal microfracture surgery, but I'm sure it's likely difficult either way.

I don't know if that's different from those two athletes, but he made a point of mentioning it.
    Last edited by Twins33; 02-17-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let me put it this way:
    Benson is about as ready as Florimon, Dozier, Escobar are to make the team with his bat and readier than Dozier and Escobar to make the team with his glove. I think that likely 2 and possibly 3 of those infielders will make the team, so I think that Benson does have at least some hope to make the team.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    I'd love it if he surprised me but I've pretty much counted him out.
    I always considered it pretty much a two-horse race, but I'm thisclose to officially calling it so. The only thing in Benson's favor is this is his last option year and a perfect opportunity to let him sink or swim. I think he'll end up struggling again in AA. But I really hope I'm wrong.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Let me put it this way:
    Benson is about as ready as Florimon, Dozier, Escobar are to make the team with his bat and readier than Dozier and Escobar to make the team with his glove. I think that likely 2 and possibly 3 of those infielders will make the team, so I think that Benson does have at least some hope to make the team.
    Strictly on defense, he's ready. But he'll have to not take bad at-bats to the the field. Or to the clubhouse wall.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not very confident in Benson, and I really think Mastroianni is the ideal 4th OF for us, but I guess at this point I'd rather have those two battle it out to be the starter and let Hicks get at least a few months in at AAA.

If Mastroianni does get the start, what would you guys think about Clete Thomas as our 4th guy if Benson sucks it up in ST? Obviously his bat was awful last year, but that was considerably below his career averages and he can cover CF.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins33 View Post
    During Twinsfest, Benson did an interview with 1500, like most of the players do. He was talking about his injuries and said that the microfracture surgery was to a non-weight-bearing part of the knee. He made it sound less serious than the normal microfracture surgery, but I'm sure it's likely difficult either way.

I don't know if that's different from those two athletes, but he made a point of mentioning it.
    There are not many not-weight bearing parts of the knee

Microfracture surgery is to repair worn cartilage usually on the meniscus. What they do is the make tiny fractures on the healty bone, which stimulates new cartilage production. Fairly painless outpatient procedure, done with a scope and takes an hour to an hour and a half or so. But. The pain is the aftermath. You got to keep the knee practically immobile (and not bearing any weight ) for about a month. And that is why there is about 50% failure rate. People are not in pain so they put weight in their knee... This is pretty common in Basketball not so in Baseball. Jeff Clement also had this done few years ago... Outside sports is a knee replacement alternative procedure, done usually to arthritic folks.
    -----

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Strictly on defense, he's ready. But he'll have to not take bad at-bats to the the field. Or to the clubhouse wall.
    You know, it is about time that some of those Twins take some losses and bad happenings to the clubhouse wall, the gatorade tub, the chairs, the doors, something (just don't get hurt...) This has been one of the most apathetic teams I have seen in the dugouts the last couple seasons. Someone has to step up and get mad when they lose or when they do not perform the way they should, otherwise same things will happen. The attitude of "it's ok to lose if you give it all" should go away.
    -----

Liked 1,173 Times in 687 Posts
    Gardenhire has got to go -- if only so I don't have to hear him call Aaron Hicks "Hicksie". This has got to be a new low.

We pretty much need four outfielders on this team. Two have to be able to play centerfield. Doesn't leave much other than Mastro and Hicks. The thought of Clete being counted on to put the bat on the ball makes me a bit squeemish. I think he had four great AB's when he joined the team then couldn't touch any breaking ball. He probably should have tried to bunt. Unless he demonstrates he can hit a curve or slider, Thomas can't be a major leaguer. Gardy already has stated that Mastro can play second so that opens things up. Mastro has made this ball club on paper and has to really stink it up defensively not to make the team. Who leads off is pretty much the biggest question. I doubt Florimon, Dozier, Escobar or Carroll are capable of leading off but they should be considered too.

However, in Gardy's world, there is that unwritten law that your position dictates where you hit in the order. I know this as true when I saw Drew Butera hitting third when he replaced Mauer. (Ack).

1) CF
    2) 2B
    3) C
    4) 1B
    5) LF
    6) DH
    7) RF
    8) 3B
    9) SS

Fill in the blanks. Wierd isn't it?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 143 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Let me put it this way:
    This is the first I have read about Escobar not being ready with the glove. I do know that BBA had him listed as the best defensive infielder in the White Sox farm system 4 years running. Sickels and baseball analyst both list strong positives for his defense. I have seen questions in the reports about Florimon's high error rate and inconsistency inthe minors. Do you have a source that you can point me too that would cause you to question Escobar's defensive readiness?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DelawareTwinsFan View Post
    We pretty much need four outfielders on this team. Two have to be able to play centerfield. Doesn't leave much other than Mastro and Hicks. The thought of Clete being counted on to put the bat on the ball makes me a bit squeemish. I think he had four great AB's when he joined the team then couldn't touch any breaking ball. He probably should have tried to bunt. Unless he demonstrates he can hit a curve or slider, Thomas can't be a major leaguer. Gardy already has stated that Mastro can play second so that opens things up. Mastro has made this ball club on paper and has to really stink it up defensively not to make the team. Who leads off is pretty much the biggest question. I doubt Florimon, Dozier, Escobar or Carroll are capable of leading off but they should be considered too.

However, in Gardy's world, there is that unwritten law that your position dictates where you hit in the order. I know this as true when I saw Drew Butera hitting third when he replaced Mauer. (Ack).

1) CF
    2) 2B
    3) C
    4) 1B
    5) LF
    6) DH
    7) RF
    8) 3B
    9) SS

Fill in the blanks. Wierd isn't it?
    Butera has never started a game at the MLB level in which he was batting in the 3 hole...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    If Hicks and Benson don't make the team and the CF's are Mastroianni and Boggs/Thomas/Surprise, then I would think it likely that Herrmann makes the team as 3rd catcher over Butera as he would be able to function as the 4th outfielder, leaving Boggs/Thomas/Surprise simply as emergency CF defensive replacement.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 02-18-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    This is the first I have read about Escobar not being ready with the glove. I do know that BBA had him listed as the best defensive infielder in the White Sox farm system 4 years running. Sickels and baseball analyst both list strong positives for his defense. I have seen questions in the reports about Florimon's high error rate and inconsistency inthe minors. Do you have a source that you can point me too that would cause you to question Escobar's defensive readiness?
    Source: thrylos

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
    I'm not very confident in Benson, and I really think Mastroianni is the ideal 4th OF for us, but I guess at this point I'd rather have those two battle it out to be the starter and let Hicks get at least a few months in at AAA.

If Mastroianni does get the start, what would you guys think about Clete Thomas as our 4th guy if Benson sucks it up in ST? Obviously his bat was awful last year, but that was considerably below his career averages and he can cover CF.
    We could claim Tony Campanas , 327 mlb plate apperences and a .262 avg, along with 54 stolen bases, left handed and would complement Mastroanni ....

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast