Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Draft Board v.1.0 (2/17)

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 120 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Draft Board v.1.0 (2/17)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Boras does not have the leverage he did last year. What is Appel going to do go to graduate school? He will sign for slot value. That being said he may be the 1st pick and get his money. If he is available at #4 and the twins like him they should draft him.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    thanks Jeremy , nice read

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Dont touch the guy. Boris is an ass. U dont want to waste the number 4 pick on a guy who is asking for over a million over slot. Plus how many 200 inning games does he have

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Otwins View Post
    Boras does not have the leverage he did last year. What is Appel going to do go to graduate school? He will sign for slot value. That being said he may be the 1st pick and get his money. If he is available at #4 and the twins like him they should draft him.
    I've stopped thinking any system can beat Scott Boras at his game. I don't know what Appel would do, but if he's in a situation to sign for "slot", which is less than what he turned down last year... I don't think he'll sign.

The irony is that #1 is going to be Boras v. Houston again and last year it didn't work out for Boras. Houston also had a great draft. I bet they're happy with they decision they made (and might make it again).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Good write up, Jeremy. It'll be interesting to follow college baseball this year. I guess I'm really hoping Appel falls to the Twins. I'd also like to see the Twins take a chance with their second pick on someone like Florida pitcher Karstan (I think is his name) who got hurt but had top 10 stuff. He didn't take 2m as a high schooler. Now with an injury and falling draft stock, maybe he'll want to start his pro career and get some money.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    I don't know what the CBA explicitly prohibits, but would Boras take slot in return for a handshake agreement that Appel gets called up in September, thus getting a (delayed) head start on service time and free agency? Or would he take slot with the parameters of a major-league contract worked out even though it can't be signed? I would consider both. I would worry, though, that Boras is a snake (he is) and would turn around and try to get the MLB to void whatever agreement was signed, to make Appel a free agent.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 02-18-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Good write up, Jeremy. It'll be interesting to follow college baseball this year. I guess I'm really hoping Appel falls to the Twins. I'd also like to see the Twins take a chance with their second pick on someone like Florida pitcher Karstan (I think is his name) who got hurt but had top 10 stuff. He didn't take 2m as a high schooler. Now with an injury and falling draft stock, maybe he'll want to start his pro career and get some money.
    Thanks to those leaving compliments.

I am under the impression that Whitson will redshirt (still would be eligible for the draft) and return for his junior year next year. Considering it's a shoulder deal and the likelihood is that he won't be able to throw before the draft, I would bet that Whitson doesn't go in the Top 10 rounds (those tied to money), but goes later so that teams could a) spend money the saved on him and b) hopefully see him throw before July 15. Smart money says the Twins won't even kick those tires.

Right now there is no way I have Smith in my top 10 if I'm the Twins. We need Pitching, Catching and a SS. Smith is very good hitting OF or 1B which if you look at our farm system we don't need. I would have Frazier or Meadows way ahead of Smith. The other guy to watch would be Trey Ball from a HS in Indiana. He's a tall and projectable LHP. He's 6'6" and throws in the low 90's. Give him a few years to add some muscle and you may be looking at a very good pitching prospect for the Twins.

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great post Jeremy, and great follow ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Plus how many 200 inning games does he have
    Zero?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's no question, Jeremy is the expert on the draft here at Twins Daily. Be sure to follow in him twitter and check back frequently for his articles on the draft! Great stuff!

And, frankly, I don't think that the Twins would be afraid to take Appel at all, if they believed he was the best guy available. I'd be surprised if Appel didn't sign this year. There is less leverage. His options are certainly more limited. And the Twins aren't afraid to go a little over-slot to get him or anyone. They've shown that before. It may mean taking a couple of college seniors in the next 10 picks, but that's OK.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    I'm a big fan of this new idea!

Did you consider any of the prep shortstops for your list? JP Crawford, Oscar Mercado, Jan Hernandez and Chris Rivera have all been mentioned on various first round lists, though they each have significant fielding or hitting questions. If they are able to put it all together in the spring, they may move up quickly.

I'm looking forward to following your updates throughout the spring.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    I'd stay away from Appel, Boris is a bloodsucker, besides Manaea is a lefty, and that's something we're short on in starters. Hadn't realized that Parmelee was a Boris guy. By the by, the only reason Boris had Pelfrey sign here was on specific instructions from Pelfrey. Apparently his wife has family here and he told Boris to get him a contract with the Twins.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    What exactly did not signing last year leave Appel for options this year? What happens if he doesn't sign again this year? I've never heard of such a thing happening.

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quick question for you Jeremy, how did last years predictions compare with the actual results? I am in no way trying to be a pain. I was just curious how things turned out compared to predictions.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    What exactly did not signing last year leave Appel for options this year? What happens if he doesn't sign again this year? I've never heard of such a thing happening.
    Look up two very different results of Boras having players hold out... 1.) JD Drew, 2.) Matt Harrington.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    People really need to stop with the Boras stuff. Just because he is the best known agent doesn't mean he does stuff that other agents don't do or won't do.

He's a good agent with great knowledge of the market and CBA but he still ultimately works for his client.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    http://twinsdaily.com/entry.php?b=1209My mock was better than I remembered.

I also recall - it's on a thread somewhere that I couldn't find - projecting Walker to the Twins. I thought Mitch Brown would be a Twin, liked Berrios (as you can see in the link), but didn't anticipate the college relievers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Consider that if Appel is the guy, the Twins will be largely pinning their hopes for future rotation stabbility on Appel and Alex Meyer, two Boras clients. If they succeed, it's likely 6 years and out unless they are traded earlier. They're not going to be getting any pre-arbitration contract extensions with either of them, Boras doesn't do that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast