Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neal: Plouffe and Twins Want Him To Stay At One Position

Liked 111 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries

Neal: Plouffe and Twins Want Him To Stay At One Position

La Velle E Neal busts out his writing chops with a story on how the team is viewing Trevor Plouffe this year:

Glove representatives will be disappointed to learn that Trevor Plouffe doesn't need your business the way he used to. He will sign up for that third baseman's glove, but he will no longer need to keep a glove for nearly every position.
    Drafted as a shortstop, tried in the outfield, looked at as a second baseman and now playing third, Plouffe played at least one inning at six positions last season.
    FWIW, I think we can add Twins fans to the list of people that would like Plouffe to stay at a position. What has stopped him has been fielding competently at any one (infield) position. So make it happen, Trevor.

Settled at one position, Twins' Plouffe hopes he sticks | StarTribune.com

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting this. Please add me to the list of people who hope that Plouffe can stick at third base.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to see him stick there for now and get comfortable at the plate... If the Twins have a 3B propsect pressing at the door in the near future, they can discuss a move to 2nd... but for now, let him learn 3rd.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Health is my only concern about Plouffe... If healthy... I really think he will play an above average 3B... Hit .240 to .260 with around 35 homers.

We will all be happy with that kind of production. No legitimate options to play third besides him. The eggs are in the Plouffe Basket.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to see Plouffe stick at third. The parallels with Cuddyer are not even funny for the ones who watched the Cuddyer saga since it started (when he was moved all over the infield and at the end ended up at RF) The interesting part in the comparison is that at the same age, Cuddyer did not even have half of Plouffe's power. Will be fun to see his development
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 111 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I'd like to see Plouffe stick at third. The parallels with Cuddyer are not even funny for the ones who watched the Cuddyer saga since it started (when he was moved all over the infield and at the end ended up at RF) The interesting part in the comparison is that at the same age, Cuddyer did not even have half of Plouffe's power. Will be fun to see his development
    Nor did Cuddy ever have a run of success like Plouffe did already this season. I wonder if the move to RF actually helped Cuddyer, or just happened to be where he was playing when he started hitting. I wish I would have asked him that when he was here.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trevor's June 2012 was almost as good as Delmon's July 2010.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Half his power? If you are talking strictly HR, then you are correct. 24 HR at age 26 for Plouffe, 12 for Cuddyer. OPS was .756 for Plouffe, .752 for Cuddyer. OPS+ 107 Plouffe, 97 Cuddy. Half his power might be a bit of hyperbole. We can only hope Plouffe can replicate Cuddyer's age 27 season in '06: 100+ runs and RBI, 41 2B, 24 HR and an .867 OPS (124 OPS+).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plouffe looks like an all or nothing type. Occasional hot streaks with long periods of nothing. People like homeruns, so if he hits enough of them, the low average will be overlooked. He does need to field, however. I also agree with the above poster, if he can be close to what Cuddyer did with the bat we should be happy. Cuddyer was a much better minor league hitter, although he was up and down. He was a streaky big league hitter as well, but he generally managed a decent average, had good doubles power, and actually was a better right fielder than most will concede.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Health is my only concern about Plouffe... If healthy... I really think he will play an above average 3B... Hit .240 to .260 with around 35 homers.

We will all be happy with that kind of production. No legitimate options to play third besides him. The eggs are in the Plouffe Basket.

Happy with that production?!?!
    Estatic with that production.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 131 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plouffe or a light-hitting utility guy (Carroll or Escobar) at third this year. I'll take my chances with Plouffie. I would say that Plouffe has this year to establish himself. He has established his power, he needs to hit better with runners on base, play better defense and avoid horrendous slumps. His success or lack of it will have a lot to do with the success or lack of it for the Twins this year.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 601 Times in 324 Posts
    Plouffe just needs to improve his approach and discipline at the plate, make the plays he's expected to at 3rd and the rest will follow. I think he'll be fine.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Plouffe just needs to improve his approach and discipline at the plate, make the plays he's expected to at 3rd and the rest will follow. I think he'll be fine.
    So he just has to get better on offense and defense and he should be better. Careful out on that limb.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 601 Times in 324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    So he just has to get better on offense and defense and he should be better. Careful out on that limb.
    Well, thanks for that but I'm really just saying it's not like he has that far to go for this to work out. His deficiencies at the plate are minor, not as if he has to re-tool his whole swing or develop one and he just needs to be acceptable in the field, not be an all-star for everyone to be quite happy.

Anyway, speaking of tools.....
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 02-20-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Well, thanks for that but I'm really just saying it's not like he has that far to go for this to work out. His deficiencies at the plate are minor, not as if he has to re-tool his whole swing or develop one and he just needs to be acceptable in the field, not be an all-star for everyone to be quite happy.

Anyway, speaking of tools.....
    okay, where did you find that animation?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    How is this an appropriate comment? I do not see how this moves the conversation along or does anything but make you look small.

To move the converation along, more than frodaddy G ever does, I would like to talk more about this power surge. That month of June was sick. Then the injury came and he really was not even close to the same. I hope that this surge was the rule and not the exception. I am afraid that this may be a little bit of a mirage. His defense shoud indeed improve. The guy has played everywhere and even started out last year as a utility player mostly in the outfield.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    How is this an appropriate comment? I do not see how this moves the conversation along or does anything but make you look small.
    Moving a conversation along isn't a requirement, and there wasn't anything inappropriate about it. What is inappropriate was the unnecessary shot you took in your comment.

If you have a problem with someone's posts, use the report function or message an administrator.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Moving a conversation along isn't a requirement, and there wasn't anything inappropriate about it. What is inappropriate was the unnecessary shot you took in your comment.

If you have a problem with someone's posts, use the report function or message an administrator.
    Well, considering you are a moderator and don't see anything inappropriate about the comment, what would be the point of reporting it to you?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes, it's okay to just say something funny instead of "furthering the conversation". After all, the poster basically said "if Plouffe plays better, he'll be a better player".

We're not running a monastery and this is not the town from Footloose, folks. Lighten up a little.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    Well, considering you are a moderator and don't see anything inappropriate about the comment, what would be the point of reporting it to you?
    It would have made it so the moderators made the call instead of a poster coming on here and erroneously calling it an inappropriate post...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast