Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Pelotero is now on Netflix

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 161 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pelotero is now on Netflix

If you have a Netflix account, you can now watch Pelotero, the movie about MLB signing Dominican prospects that focused on the signing of Miguel Sano, for free. I did so yesterday afternoon.

We had a thread on Twins Daily about the movie a few months ago, if you want to reference it. It included questions asked to the director of the filem.

After watching it yesterday, I was puzzled by the clear implication that the Pirates scout Rene Gayo somehow manipulated MLB baseball to force Sano to sign with Pittsburgh. I can't figure out how he got that leverage. It is as if someone in MLB owed him a major favor, or MLB wanted Sano to sign with a small market team. I can't figure out how come 29 other teams didn't call BS, like the Twins did. I'd sure love to get some inside speculation on how he had MLB in his back pocket.

Pelotero as Horror Film.

And if you want to read my review of Pelotero as a horror film (because how scary would it be to have your entire life questioned?), check out the link below ---

http://www.slasherstudios.com/2013/0...pelotero-2011/

Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    I watched it on Neflix about a week ago. I didn't even think to post the fact that it was on Netflix on TD.

I finally got to see this movie, and I thought it was very well done. It was also confused why no other team in the MLB called BS on Rene Gayo's accusations about Sano. Although, I do understand why a team would be reluctant to pay millions of dollars to find out that a player is not actually who they say they are. I'm not 100% sure why it took so long to clear up with Sano either (and why there are still questions). There may be more facts or questions that weren't brought up in the movie that would make a team question his age/identity though. Either way, it was a good movie and I would recommend it to any Twins fan for sure and probably some non-Twins/baseball fans as well.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would be curious to know what sort of reputation Sano's handler had at the time.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Watched it yesterday. Really like that kid. I wouldn't want to be a Pirates pitcher when he gets to play against them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 42 Posts
    Great movie and I generally dislike most movies.

I really enjoyed the inside look at life in the Dominican Republic as much as anything. I have done a handful of mission trips there and have seen the way much of the population lives. I thought the film captured that well.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    I love this. I put it in my queueueueueue.

Thanks for the tip, John, I've been wanting to see it.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 374 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As I understand it, the producers of Pelotero have been working on a sequel and following both players rise up the ladder... They may be struggling with coming up with funds to continue it, as they are quite young and still making their names.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    As I understand it, the producers of Pelotero have been working on a sequel and following both players rise up the ladder... They may be struggling with coming up with funds to continue it, as they are quite young and still making their names.
    I wonder if Kickstarter would be an option for them.

I finally watched this. Absolutely excellent. Just top notch.

And Rene Gayo is shady as ****.

Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    I wonder if Kickstarter would be an option for them.
    I'd go in on this. Hell, maybe I could be an executive producer.

Thanks for the heads up. Just finished it. I have wanted to watch it for a long time.

Very well done. Seems like a confident kid. Excited to see him grow

Thanks for posting the heads up on Pelotero, it's well worth the time and I had not heard of it till your post. I vaguely recall some controversy regarding Sano back when he was signed, but had never really paid that much attention to the situation. That Gayo rep for the Pirates, wow!