Thread: Sansevere: Memo To Twins...hope isn't a strategy

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sansevere: Memo To Twins...hope isn't a strategy

Pi Press columnist Bob Sansevere takes issue with the Twins decision to target pitchers coming off of injuries:

While other teams spend money to sign players who are both healthy and talented, the Twins expend hope on pitchers in various stages of recovery from injuries.

It's a lot cheaper that way.
    I guess I'd be OK with signing injured pitchers if there were some upside, but in most cases there really isn't.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...-isnt-strategy

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did he issue this on the official memo stationary? If not, I'm not sure it can be properly processed.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Blog Entries
    But for real, there are several issues with this article. First, Worley was not signed, the Twins traded for him. Second, Marquis doesn't have an injury-pocked past. Therefore his "several pitchers with injury-pocked pasts" is a list of one - Joel Zumaya. Zumaya was worth taking a risk on, if you ask me. He makes no mention of the Correia signing, who while unpopular, is certainly not an injury risk any more than any other pitcher.

Ripping the Twins' strategy related to pitching is reasonable, but these arguments are pretty shallow and ill-fitting. The last line was cute though.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Nice article.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    'Second, Marquis doesn't have an injury-pocked past.'

Marquis only pitched 132 innings in 2011 and only 59 innings in 2010. Was there something other than injury keeping him from pitching more?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post

Marquis only pitched 132 innings in 2011 and only 59 innings in 2010. Was there something other than injury keeping him from pitching more?
    Don't forget that Correia's innings total was also skewed by his demotion from the juggernaut Pirates' staff.

Blog Entries

Injuries. However, the injury in 2011 was a contact injury, I think he got hit with a batted ball or something. It's not like he was coming off TJ. He was just bad. If Sansevere wanted to complain about the Twins signing bad pitchers, it would have been a more valid argument.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts

Off the top of my head, constantly getting pulled before pitching 5 innings might do it. However, be it the injury or ineffectivenss arguement, they are both fitting and relevant to the Twins normal offseason stratagies.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Injuries. However, the injury in 2011 was a contact injury, I think he got hit with a batted ball or something. It's not like he was coming off TJ. He was just bad. If Sansevere wanted to complain about the Twins signing bad pitchers, it would have been a more valid argument.
    Whew, at least it wasn't TJS. It would have been a waste of money to guarantee several million to a guy coming off of TJS. Thank goodness the Twins are wise enough not to do that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Off the top of my head, constantly getting pulled before pitching 5 innings might do it. However, be it the injury or ineffectivenss arguement, they are both fitting and relevant to the Twins normal offseason stratagies.
    can't explain away only 59 IP :-)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Don't forget that Correia's innings total was also skewed by his demotion from the juggernaut Pirates' staff.
    The 137 one was...not the 59 innings one :-)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Whew, at least it wasn't TJS. It would have been a waste of money to guarantee several million to a guy coming off of TJS. Thank goodness the Twins are wise enough not to do that.
    I see what you did there :-)

If all you see from the Twins offseason is 'hope', then you're bad at your job, Bob.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    If all you see from the Twins offseason is 'hope', then you're bad at your job, Bob.
    as it pertains to 2013?

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 343 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    You're right, most of the country doesn't even see that.