Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB.com: National perspective on the Twins

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries

MLB.com: National perspective on the Twins

Anthony Catrovince tries to be gentle, but isn't optimistic about the Twins 2013 season:

So, the Twins will probably have their share of struggles again in '13, particularly in an AL Central that has seen some improvement. But if the Twins' recent luck in the health department turns around and the injection of starting options helps to stabilize the staff, you can at least view these coming months as the wheels the organization uses to escape from the 90-plus loss column and venture toward better days.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...nt_id=41735008

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for this. Got to love the nuggets these references contain:

"I like this organization and I like winning," Gardenhire said. "We did a lot of that around here. And I'd like to get back to that.
    Thus is my biggest issue with the people who run the Twins (to the ground.) They are happy for mediocrity and would like to get back to "that". Better than .500?; win the division?
    If your manager is not setting the goal where is should be: Back to THAT (1991 and 1987), there is no wonder that THAT will never happen with those people as leaders.
    You have to set your sights up high, otherwise you will never get there.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post

Thus is my biggest issue with the people who run the Twins (to the ground.) They are happy for mediocrity and would like to get back to "that". Better than .500?; win the division?
    If your manager is not setting the goal where is should be: Back to THAT (1991 and 1987), there is no wonder that THAT will never happen with those people as leaders.
    Yes, that's totally what Gardy was saying. He liked going to the playoffs and losing.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    Yes, that's totally what Gardy was saying. He liked going to the playoffs and losing.
    Well in all fairness, Gardy was just happy to be there.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not if your dreamy expectations are ridiculous and unattainable. Its nice to dream big, but those dreams still need to be grounded in reality. Goals/dreams are important, but they won't make your roster better than it actually is....and if your expectations are too high, you'll never reach them. Frustration is the end result in that scenario.

Expectations for the 2013 Twins are right where they need to be. No one should be expecting much, and a goal of 75 wins is attainable, but will probably be a challenge for this squad

I understand, you want World Series titles. But even a few years down the road, that may be unattainable. A realistic vision for this ORG would be to imagine another prolonged streak of division titles starting around 2015-16. I wouldn't expect any WS rings, unless you want to be continually frustrated for the next 10 years.
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 02-19-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Not if your dreamy expectations are ridiculous and unattainable. Its nice to dream big, but those dreams still need to be grounded in reality. Goals/dreams are important, but they won't make your roster better than it actually is....and if your expectations are too high, you'll never reach them. Frustration is the end result in that scenario.

Expectations for the 2013 Twins are right where they need to be. No one should be expecting much, and a goal of 75 wins is attainable, but will probably be a challenge for this squad

I understand, you want World Series titles. But even a few years down the road, that may be unattainable. A realistic vision for this ORG would be to imagine another prolonged streak of division titles starting around 2015-16. I wouldn't expect any WS rings, unless you want to be continually frustrated for the next 10 years.
    Have you ever won anything at a high level? Aiming to win a World Series isn't unattainable. Wow dude.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

I don't have a link or anything, but I feel like in the past Gardy had made comments after their playoff sweeps against the Yankees about how they were just happy to be there or something. Pretty much saying that they had no real shot to be competing against someone like the Yankees and that they accomplished all they were capable of..

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    I don't have a link or anything, but I feel like in the past Gardy had made comments after their playoff sweeps against the Yankees about how they were just happy to be there or something. Pretty much saying that they had no real shot to be competing against someone like the Yankees and that they accomplished all they were capable of..
    I agree the Twins way too often play the "Aw shucks, thanks for inviting us little guys" card, but I don't recall Gardy ever being anything more than dejected after the playoff loses.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 47 Times in 24 Posts

You'll just read whatever you want into a Gardenhire quote, won't ya? Remember that Gardy was on the Twins coaching staff in 1991. How come you didn't assume he was talking about that​?

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I agree the Twins way too often play the "Aw shucks, thanks for inviting us little guys" card, but I don't recall Gardy ever being anything more than dejected after the playoff loses.
    It very well could have been more of an impression I was left with than it was what was actually said.

First, they need to get to .500. Then they need to make it to the playoffs. Then they need to succeed in the playoffs. They have all those goals for this year, but there's no sense in making grand proclamations about playoffs in the face of 190 losses. Of course they want to win the world series this year. That's every baseball person's goal every year. Doing so will take a level of play across the whole team that they've only seen in a few players thus far. Does that mean it can't happen? No. Does it mean it's likely to happen? Nope. Gardy just makes sure his comments aren't too much all the time. It's just how he talks to the press.

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Yep. Once more, thrylos reads a quote. Yep. Once more, thrylos draws the most unfavorable conclusion possible. Yep. Once more, all the rest of us predicted he would.

Yawn.

Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Yep. Once more, thrylos reads a quote. Yep. Once more, thrylos draws the most unfavorable conclusion possible. Yep. Once more, all the rest of us predicted he would.

Yawn.
    Could we be a little bit less personal with these comments? Everyone here is entitled to an opinion, and we all share passion for our team. This post is probably not over the line, but I think that we can all benefit form being a bit more respectful.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    I got a smirk about the comment of leading the league in rehabbing arms...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    I don't think the Twins had the "aw shucks" philiosophy. All you can ask for is to make to the playoffs every year. Of course you want to win it. Every team has a chance to win the world series once they make it to October, and the best team rarely wins. I would argue that the Twins had the best team back in the AL back in '06 and went in as the hottest. But the playoffs are a different kind of game. Teams like the Giants and the Cardinals always seem to find a way in. They do it with homegrown players. This is the thing that made Minnesota great and the philisophy that will get the Twins back to the playoffs, where anything is possible.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 591 Times in 319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post

You're right, quitting is the best course of action.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm probably reading into things a bit, but Ryan, when talking about a few of his acquisitions (like, say, Correia), said he hadn't seen him but was relying on what his scouts and the stats said...

Now you have Gardy saying: '"I'm making my own decisions," Gardenhire said. "I haven't seen these guys enough to sit there and read reports and have somebody tell me this or that. I want to see them. I need to see these guys. I want to make my own decisions."....'

'...So I want to make my own decisions, rather than seeing a scouting report."'

Probably nothing, but it sure sounds like he's taking a swipe at the Cue Ball Wizard...

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/...k_min&c_id=min
    Last edited by ThePuck; 02-19-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    It very well could have been more of an impression I was left with than it was what was actually said.
    With all due respect I think you're way off base (no pun intended). I think Gardy is a competitor, question his methods sure, but not caring about winning and being happy with getting close doesn't fit the description of any professional athletes or coaches.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 02-19-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    You're right, quitting is the best course of action.
    No need to aim high or set your goals too lofty...it's only been 21 seasons since the last W Series appearance...unreasonable to suggest the goal should be a W Series win in the next 10 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    No need to aim high or set your goals too lofty...it's only been 21 seasons since the last W Series appearance...unreasonable to suggest the goal should be a W Series win in the next 10 seasons.
    Which would make 31 years between appearances, reach for the stars!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast