Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Bollinger: Gardenhire's interesting quotes on youngsters and the roster

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bollinger: Gardenhire's interesting quotes on youngsters and the roster

I can't believe that Gardenhire meant things this way, but it almost sounds like he would consider adding some of the young power arms to the roster....

Gardenhire said his goal this spring is to see as much as he can of the prospects and new additions in camp instead of just relying on scouting reports.

"I'm making my own decisions," Gardenhire said. "I haven't seen these guys enough to sit there and read reports and have somebody tell me this or that. I want to see them. I need to see these guys. I want to make my own decisions."

Gardenhire said he'll lean on his coaches, especially pitching coach Rick Anderson, for reports on the players in camp but ultimately he's in charge of putting together the roster for Opening Day along with general manager Terry Ryan.
    On second read, I don't see any Gardenhire quotes about the roster, specifically. Maybe he's just taking a special interest in the prospect. God knows, the rest of us are....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...ok_id=41792882

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I didn't take the quote to be so much about having the prospects come up so much as about actually getting to see Worley, Correia, Pelfrey, etc and the prospects to see what they have (as opposed to just reading a scouting report).

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see anything strange about the quotes. The Twins acquired some new players via trade and free agency. He has read all the reports on the players, but he wants to see them himself as well when he is evaluating. I think it makes perfect sense, and I would hope that he would want to do that.

Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    These seem like standard innocuous spring training fare to me.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    What decisions is he talking about? If Gardenhire got to make the decisions the 25 man roster would probably look a lot different than the one Ryan will put together.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    What decisions is he talking about? If Gardenhire got to make the decisions the 25 man roster would probably look a lot different than the one Ryan will put together.
    My reading of it is he means his decisions on how good (or not good) they are and how good (or not good) their various pitches are and all that stuff. I didn't take it as roster decisions, although I would think the things I just mentioned could factor into that for some border guys that they'll probably discuss together.

On the other part, I'm curious how you see those two rosters being different? I can think of maybe a spot or a few, but I wouldn't think it would be a lot.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    My reading of it is he means his decisions on how good (or not good) they are and how good (or not good) their various pitches are and all that stuff. I didn't take it as roster decisions, although I would think the things I just mentioned could factor into that for some border guys that they'll probably discuss together.

On the other part, I'm curious how you see those two rosters being different? I can think of maybe a spot or a few, but I wouldn't think it would be a lot.
    I agree, but that's because Ryan already set the peramaters of the choices when he traded away two centerfielders, at least one of which Gardenhire would have surely kept if he had his druthers. With Gardy's frustration over the defensive problems last year, I'd suspect if the decision was his, the Twins would have 1 or 2 more new infielders this season to chose from. But from the current set of players, yes, there probably won't be much diversion, there's really not too many options at this point of the game.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree, but that's because Ryan already set the peramaters of the choices when he traded away two centerfielders, at least one of which Gardenhire would have surely kept if he had his druthers. With Gardy's frustration over the defensive problems last year, I'd suspect if the decision was his, the Twins would have 1 or 2 more new infielders this season to chose from. But from the current set of players, yes, there probably won't be much diversion, there's really not too many options at this point of the game.
    Ah, I see. That makes sense.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Every year, Gardy and Ryan work together on the roster... Gardy has often pushed for certain players, but then Ryan needs to make sure it's in the best interest of the organization. For instance, if Hicks shows well in the spring, Gardy may push for him to be on the Opening Day roster, but Ryan may say, "No, we're waiting until Memorial Day." Or something like that. There may be 40-man roster decisions too. If Gardy wants Slama on the roster, but it would mean someone would have to come off the roster, Ryan will need to push that. The nice thing is that it is a conversation where at the end, both agree.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Every year, Gardy and Ryan work together on the roster... Gardy has often pushed for certain players, but then Ryan needs to make sure it's in the best interest of the organization. For instance, if Hicks shows well in the spring, Gardy may push for him to be on the Opening Day roster, but Ryan may say, "No, we're waiting until Memorial Day." Or something like that. There may be 40-man roster decisions too. If Gardy wants Slama on the roster, but it would mean someone would have to come off the roster, Ryan will need to push that. The nice thing is that it is a conversation where at the end, both agree.
    I'm not sure they often agree but Gardy would never be too public in his disagreements. He will drop subtle hints though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    I think people are reading way too much in these statements. These statements could be made by Gardenhire 9 years out of ten.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A slight variation on the comments already made is that Gardy will want to remember what a prospect was like if roster moves later on are being discussed, including September callups.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    From my short recollection, Gardy usually loses these battles though. Off the top of my head, if he had his way, Dozier would have made the opening day roster last year, Revere would have been called up long before September 2010 and Young would have been traded in just about every off season after the Twins acquired him. To be fair though, we probably don't hear much when Gardy actually does get his way.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    From my short recollection, Gardy usually loses these battles though. Off the top of my head, if he had his way, Dozier would have made the opening day roster last year, Revere would have been called up long before September 2010 and Young would have been traded in just about every off season after the Twins acquired him. To be fair though, we probably don't hear much when Gardy actually does get his way.
    Only one of those had to do with Ryan...

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    ? well the 1 time i remember Ron got his way we traded JJ Hardy for a magic bean